corner corner I'm baaaaack :)

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I'm baaaaack :)

Hi Everyone, I've missed you. I've been away for far too long, taking an 10-year detour doing the tech startup thing in Silicon Valley, with some hits but many more misses.

Throughout my detour I've remembered how good I had it here at my first real website success, and I'm super happy to announce that I'm back and will soon be working on improvements to BookCrossing.

Actually, I just made the first change today.. the web server was set to block requests if your browser made more than 5 concurrent requests, or more than 10 requests in half a second. That was not a great configuration, as most browsers, especially on a fast connection, will exceed those limits. Symptoms of hitting that block include random broken images and broken scripts on the site. I was seeing those problems in Chrome, which is why I dug into it today. Changed the settings and voilà, fixed. :) Let me know if you notice the difference.

Moving forward: I'd like to hear from you all what you think the biggest (fixable) problems are with BC currently. You can use this thread to post your thoughts.

Please understand that one thing I will be particularly focused on is Growth. If a website isn't growing, it's dying, and BookCrossing has been on a slow downward slide in active members and revenue for the last several years. I have to be completely honest: if the course isn't significantly changed, BC has a real chance of going under.

I'm committed to doing everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen. It would be helpful if, in addition to letting me know what BC's problem are, what your ideas for member and revenue growth would be.

I'll wrap this up by telling you the priority of the first three things I plan to tackle:

1. Site performance (starting with change I made today)

2. Site design (It's 2017 forgoshsakes. BC should have a clean, modern design that loads fast and is completely responsive on mobile.)

3. Revenue flow tweaks. It should be far fewer clicks to join Wings, and we should have recurring membership plans and clear benefits for being a Wings member.

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2 3 4 Next 

Profile Image
it would be very helpful to be able to see all available bookplates again so we can re-order ones we've seen in the past.

Thanks.

Oh yes. This is top on my wish list too. Would be great if you could do somethig about it.
Profile Image
it would be very helpful to be able to see all available bookplates again so we can re-order ones we've seen in the past.

Thanks.

Oh yes. This is top on my wish list too. Would be great if you could do somethig about it.

I second that!
Profile Image
I did a little service for bookrings - http://bigbookring.com and use BCID.
It would be great to join this well BC as part, but I can not conceive of right now nothing clever about it.
But I hope that your vast experience and knowledge could help solve this problem for the benefit BC.
Profile Image

my input

I don;t think the front page explains exactly what bookcrossing iswell enough.

Also to get anywhere you either have to press the login or reister button and this is not clear anywhere.
Profile Image
In addition to the suggestions made by other people, I think no-one mentioned the profile pages. I am new-ish member and I still remember that for weeks I couldn't locate how to check mine/other people's book shelves. At the end I had to ask in the forums. I know it seems pretty obvious now that I know where to look for, but most people are used to find related tabs on the horizontal upper bar rather than on the right of the page and when you are new on BC, the page lay-out seems weird.

An other thing no-one mentioned is the PM function. While it might feel a bit more secure to do it through e-mails, I think it's not practical at all. There should be some kind of PM service within the site, people may be notified on their e-mails that they have a new PM pending, but I think it's wise been able to see your messages and reply immediately while on the BC site itsself.

I would add that the forums starting page seems a bit long and all over the place too. Maybe re-arrange the order in which each category appears and/or turn some of the generic current forums into sub-forums under a more generic forum? For example SSM and Release Challenges under one forum, Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting , Feature Requests, Region Cleanup under an other?

Which reminds me: There should be a way to check and tidy up more regularly the Cities & Crossing Zones listings. I really appreciate the hard work volunteers make to respond on a request to correct or merge this or that zone... but sometimes I report an error and it takes several weeks to be fixed-if at all. There should be a way to prevent people to create new zones when it's not necessary and advice them to create one that makes sense (a zone named "on the bench" doesn't make much sense if you ask me!). Maybe a related message before creating a release zone? But there should definately be a team monitoring the zones frequently too.

That's all I can think of right now...
Profile Image
I would add that the forums starting page seems a bit long and all over the place too.

With Wings you can tailor the Forum list so you just see the ones you're interested in, which is one of several reasons why I always keep my Wings up to date :-)
Profile Image
Thank you Nu-Knees, but the point is that one gets to know about wings/decides to get them when s/he has been around the site for a while and decides to stick with it. Forum page as it is, doesn't seem very inviting for a new member.
Furthermore, I try to buy new wings and other stuff from the store and it doesn't work with a credit card right now. I don't use Pay-Pal and I don't want to do a bank transfer. Which bring us back to square one: Site needs to function properly and have an inviting outlook in order to attract new members/make members to stick around.
Profile Image
it doesn't work with a credit card right now.

Reno mentioned a workaround in this very thread, it might be worth a try.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8868537
Profile Image
I tried it yesterday and custom-made book plates won't come up...?
Profile Image
I tried it yesterday and custom-made book plates won't come up...?

Oh, sorry to hear that... then I can't help.
Profile Image
In addition to the suggestions made by other people, ...
There should be a way to check and tidy up more regularly the Cities & Crossing Zones listings. There should be a way to prevent people to create new zones when it's not necessary and advice them to create one that makes sense (a zone named "on the bench" doesn't make much sense if you ask me!). Maybe a related message before creating a release zone? But there should definately be a team monitoring the zones frequently too.

That's all I can think of right now...

Oui. Il faudrait pouvoir supprimer les zones qui n'existent plus, justement pour allégé les longues listes. Cela pourrait peut-être se faire par région, par des volontaires agréés.
Profile Image

welcome!!

welcome here again!
you have asked what problems we have :-)

- problems with the filters for a long time.
when I want to find members from my country: Austria or Upperaustria

- cover images are not uploding when registering books (a new problem since December)

- a lot of "error try again" when making a JE - but when I try again, there are two JEs afterwards and I have to delete one

- and as others said "the numerous steps involved in releasing a book. Just releasing one is fine, but when you are taking a pile of books to a meetup, say, it takes ages, despite the "release another book to this location" thing."

thank you!!!
Profile Image
Your message is full of positive energy and plans, which made my day!
I love bookcrossing - and I don't wanna miss it.
I appreciate fixing the first issue right away and can confirm it improved use of the BC-site.
As already said in the forum, the fact of missing book images is a bit tedious when registering books.
Thanks a lot for everything!
Profile Image
The error messages that come up when registering a book. Most of them can be ignored but they look alarming and give off a bad impression to newcomers.
Profile Image
Welcome back! Glad to have you with us again :-)
Profile Image
… that labels are far too expensive.
I think economically, it must be better if they were much cheaper and if there were different sized packages at reasonable prices. Some register more than 1000 books a year. That's about 400 $/€ for (inside) labels (+ the ones for the cover).
One does not see "official" labels very often these days …
Profile Image
These basic no nonsense "Ballycumbers"...as I call them ; )...from the Supply Store are always a very good option. Perhaps they could be made in other languages. ; ) They are "budget friendly", much less than purchasing labels and printing off on a computer with expensive ink cartridges, and while Ballycumber appears to be gray in this link, BC is the iconic yellow on the ones I have...and need to reorder soon. ; )

http://www.bookcrossing.com/store#!/Econo-Labels/c/613748/offset=0&sort=normal
Profile Image
These basic no nonsense "Ballycumbers"...as I call them ; )...from the Supply Store are always a very good option. Perhaps they could be made in other languages. ; )

They will definitely appear in German later this year.
Profile Image
One word response: Yay!
Profile Image
Willkommen zurück / welcome back.

... I have to be completely honest: if the course isn't significantly changed, BC has a real chance of going under....

I really hope this never will be happend. I Need BC and BCers ;-)
Profile Image
http://lucasn.com/bookcrossing.html

Thank you !

Thank you. Even if you have a QR code on the label. Please still include a written BCID number.

I would never have joined and still wouldn't if I only had the option to scan a barcode. My phone does not have this capability, so would prefer to enter a number.

(I understand haveing a QR code, but nedd both. )

thank you
Profile Image
Even if you have a QR code on the label. Please still include a written BCID number.

I think it's safe to say that BookCrossing will never even consider making labels without the written BCID number. Many, many people do not use QR codes in any shape or form. Personally, I have no device to even read them with. And BCIDs can be copied easily by writing them down even if there is no electronical device in sight.

I don't worry about this. BCIDs are here to stay.
Profile Image
thank you

Profile Image

This wouldn't work for me. I wouldn't use those bookplates. I never use a label that will cover either the title or author on the front cover. Thus I have many sizes of front cover labels of different types and sizes, from those sold in the store to those I print myself, and use the one that works with a particular cover design. That style of bookplate also won't work on some smaller books I have.

And I'd HATE to see our beloved Ballycumber redesigned. : (
Profile Image

This wouldn't work for me. I wouldn't use those bookplates. I never use a label that will cover either the title or author on the front cover. Thus I have many sizes of front cover labels of different types and sizes, from those sold in the store to those I print myself, and use the one that works with a particular cover design. That style of bookplate also won't work on some smaller books I have.

And then again I LOVE the design! It's fresh, stylish and definitely more 2017 than anything around atm. Personally I find the Ballycumber very childish and clumsy and would love an updated, more modern version of it. It's just a question of personal taste and I think we have to keep in mind that the site has to pay for itself, bring in some profit and serve its purpose to stay alive. If that means serious changes, then changes it is.
Profile Image
Personally I find the Ballycumber very childish and clumsy and would love an updated, more modern version of it.

I like both versions. But I would hate to throw out all the existing stock in the Supply Store, and it would be a lot of work to update all the products.
Profile Image
Personally I find the Ballycumber very childish and clumsy and would love an updated, more modern version of it.

I like both versions. But I would hate to throw out all the existing stock in the Supply Store, and it would be a lot of work to update all the products.

Good grief no, I didn't mean that everything should go as we speak. Rather I was trying to imply that whatever happens or doesn't happen, you can never please everyone around here and whatever happens on/to the site, we all just have to accept it. We're users, not owners after all.
I love BookCrossing dearly, the books and the people, and no matter what you did to the site or how childish the Ballycumber might seem to my own eyes, I'll still be sticking the stickers to my books and keeping them moving!
Profile Image
http://lucasn.com/bookcrossing

This has been bothering me so I looked at the write-up again. I don't understand why the designer doesn't think Ballycumber is running forward. He's not looking back over his shoulder, he's running forward, straight ahead, to the left. I don't know why running to the right is more forward. Personally I walk and run to the left as often as to the right.

Just my thoughts...
Profile Image
I don't know why running to the right is more forward.

People who use scripts that go from left to right, like this one, tend to see it that way.
Profile Image

I'm with you on both points. I try not to cover up the title & author on the book cover with anything other than a sticky note, and I find that particular re-designed logo difficult to identify as a running book - I have to look at it for a while before I can figure out what it's supposed to be.

Besides, I like our Ballycumber logo the way it is.

I don't really care which direction the book is running in, though.. When I do my own labels (and yes, I also buy from the store), sometimes the book is running right and sometimes it's running left.
Profile Image

Oh, dear god, please tell me that's not going to happen. If there's anything I cannot stand in a website, it's monster huge graphics that make it hard to find information. There are so many sites that I used to use frequently that it is impossible for me to use any more.

I note, too, that where there *is* text, it's very poorly written. (Perhaps English is not the writer's first language?)
Profile Image
Oh, dear god, please tell me that's not going to happen. If there's anything I cannot stand in a website, it's monster huge graphics that make it hard to find information. There are so many sites that I used to use frequently that it is impossible for me to use any more.

I note, too, that where there *is* text, it's very poorly written. (Perhaps English is not the writer's first language?)
One typo jumped out at me. But this is just a proposal, and I agree with a lot of it.

Using smartphone apps to leverage instant GPS, camera and internet access is a good idea. Make the register- release-catch process simpler. Not keen on QR codes, though. They can be manipulated to send users to unknown sites. Having a barcode that feeds into a proprietary BC page is fine. No hacker can subvert that.

The symbol. OK with the update, and aiming it the other way. But not with losing the diamond "caution" shape. That's half the point. It's like a deer crossing sign.

The site needs an update or it will die. New tech - hell, this is existing tech that Geocaching, Ingress, Pokemon Go and many others already use - can streamline the process. Integration with partners can add value. The LFL movement is an obvious candidate.

Those membership numbers are meaningless, BTW. Strip out those who haven't been active for years, all the accounts with one or two - or zero! - books, and there's not that many. Lots of books registered, sure, but the reality is that most disappear and are never heard from again. A few great stories of survival, but they stand out for rarity.

Keen to see what is going to happen. We cannot continue to assume that a few people will dedicate their lives and fortunes to providing an essentially pointless service for the entertainment of a couple of thousand freeloaders. Yeah, we buy wings now and then, but that's not paying the bills.
Profile Image
One typo jumped out at me.

It's not just the typo. It's the syntax, the word choices, the phrasing. All of it says to me, "not a native English speaker". It's the kind of thing that, if I get in an email, I assume is spam.

The site needs an update or it will die.

I don't disagree with that. But the kind of thing I see on that page is exactly the kind of thing that has driven me off other sites. An example: the Lyric Opera changed their site last year. It now has very heavy graphics, to the extent that I cannot see all my upcoming performances in one place. It's resulted in a situation where rather than exchange tickets on the site, which used to be quick and easy, I now call the box office instead.

It is increasingly common for websites to use such large graphics (and don't get me started on infinite scrolling!) that it is difficult to find actual information. And it's the information that's important.

Profile Image
It is increasingly common for websites to use such large graphics (and don't get me started on infinite scrolling!) that it is difficult to find actual information.

I think it's supposed to make them more mobile-friendly, in a way that's actively unfriendly to users on non-mobile devices. I hope and trust that we will not be going in that direction.
Profile Image
It is increasingly common for websites to use such large graphics (and don't get me started on infinite scrolling!) that it is difficult to find actual information.

I think it's supposed to make them more mobile-friendly, in a way that's actively unfriendly to users on non-mobile devices. I hope and trust that we will not be going in that direction.

Me too!
Profile Image
I don't disagree with that. But the kind of thing I see on that page is exactly the kind of thing that has driven me off other sites. An example: the Lyric Opera changed their site last year. It now has very heavy graphics, to the extent that I cannot see all my upcoming performances in one place. It's resulted in a situation where rather than exchange tickets on the site, which used to be quick and easy, I now call the box office instead.

It is increasingly common for websites to use such large graphics (and don't get me started on infinite scrolling!) that it is difficult to find actual information. And it's the information that's important.

I agree with you on that mojosmon, same here in France where websites evolve, you have soooo beautiful (and heavy) screens but no more useful informations.
Sorry, I'm "not a native English speaker" though...
Profile Image
It's not just the typo. It's the syntax, the word choices, the phrasing. All of it says to me, "not a native English speaker". It's the kind of thing that, if I get in an email, I assume is spam.

It's someone in Brazil (Lucas Neumann), and possibly doing it on his own initiative. The text is ungrammatical right from the start - read that first sentence. And what is freemium, is that a word?
Profile Image
And what is freemium, is that a word?

Not one I've ever heard of!
Profile Image
It's someone in Brazil (Lucas Neumann), and possibly doing it on his own initiative. The text is ungrammatical right from the start - read that first sentence. And what is freemium, is that a word?
a business model, especially on the Internet, whereby basic services are provided free of charge while more advanced features must be paid for.

LN seems to have some UI design experience. I would imagine that he would design the thing to be built by others. That is, the text would be written by those more familiar with BookCrossing, pouring it into the new framework. I doubt that anything is set in stone, but consider the choice Reno presents us: a new site and apps. Or nothing.

Because that is what will happen. BookCrossing.com is based on a Web 2.0 model, and hasn't leveraged the power of smartphones. Yet.
Profile Image
Very interesting article, thank you :-)

Something mentioned there seems to be correspond to an older project on the site.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/points
Profile Image
Welcome back! Nice to meet u. I'm looking forward to all the new stuff. And as sheepette mentioned pls keep it easy to use on a desktop
Profile Image
And as sheepette mentioned pls keep it easy to use on a desktop

yes, please - this is very important for me also
Profile Image
Website looks rather old: too messy and complicated.

Would like to be able to see all my current/recent activity, not just the last 3 as per the profile page. Perhaps also all recent activity within a nominated distance. The specified zones function is too hit and miss.

It's good to be able to access the site again without having to go through a web proxy. Unitl the last few days my Wifi IP address seemed to have been blocked for some reason and I had no luck getting it unblocked.
Profile Image
Would like to be able to see all my current/recent activity, not just the last 3 as per the profile page. Perhaps also all recent activity within a nominated distance. The specified zones function is too hit and miss.

With wings you can sort by Recently Journaled and see all entries made recently by you or anyone else on your books. To me, that's the best feature of wings and my shelf is always sorted that way.
Profile Image
I've had wings membership a couple of times but the benefits have never seemed worth the price. Lifetime membership like LibraryThing offers, rather than a recurring payment, might be a better option. In any case a recent activity list should be a basic function, not a premium one. A map showing the location of releases and catches, like Postcrossing has, and chart with monthly activity would also be useful.
Profile Image
I've had wings membership a couple of times but the benefits have never seemed worth the price. Lifetime membership like LibraryThing offers, rather than a recurring payment, might be a better option. In any case a recent activity list should be a basic function, not a premium one. A map showing the location of releases and catches, like Postcrossing has, and chart with monthly activity would also be useful.

Here's the bookmap we have already. It's not quite what you suggest however thought I'd but it up here for others to see too http://www.bookcrossing.com/bookmap
Profile Image
Interesting, but maps that show:
• all recent releases in a particular area
• all your own releases and catches
would be much more useful.
Profile Image
"I've had wings membership a couple of times but the benefits have never seemed worth the price."

The biggest benefit for me is supporting a site that I love. I'd be heartbroken if this site went away and all my books became orphans who couldn't write home and I lost contact with my BookCrossing friends forever,

And a few other benefits, the biggest of which is being able to sort by Recently Journaled. Personally I think it's fine that that is an extra as it's not necessary to be able to register or release books. It just makes it much easier and more enjoyable to me.
Profile Image
I've had wings membership a couple of times but the benefits have never seemed worth the price.

One of those benefits is to have BC at all. Isn't that worth to pay a bit?
Profile Image
I've had wings membership a couple of times but the benefits have never seemed worth the price.

One of those benefits is to have BC at all. Isn't that worth to pay a bit?

I'm more than willing to pay an annual fee to keep using BookCrossing.

On the other hand: if BC is continuing to be a free site, than there might be a few more extra's then the no advertisement, default journal entry when registering a book and ability to sort the books in more ways we have now.
Reno's suggestions on this topic (and his others) sound good!
Profile Image
When registering a book, I would gladly have a choice in which language this book is written. So you can search for the language of the book.

Many books have an English title but have appeared in different languages.
Profile Image
When registering a book, I would gladly have a choice in which language this book is written. So you can search for the language of the book. Many books have an English title but have appeared in different languages.

That's a good one. I totally agree.
Profile Image
When registering a book, I would gladly have a choice in which language this book is written.

That would be a great way to use tags.
Profile Image
When registering a book, I would gladly have a choice in which language this book is written.

That would be a great way to use tags.

Yes, tags would be very useful here. For all sorts of information.
Profile Image
When registering a book, I would gladly have a choice in which language this book is written. So you can search for the language of the book.

Many books have an English title but have appeared in different languages.

Sorting books by their real language would be very helpful. Titles alone are often not helpful and I dislike the kludgy way of adding xyz-language edition.
Profile Image
It looks bigger and clearer all of a sudden.
Profile Image

Looks good to me, too, bigger and clearer - but then smallerand paler when you're actually writing a post (as I am now!) What I'm writing is noticably smaller than the posts I can see above it! Weird!
Profile Image
Weird
It is very strange. I have been seeing this across the Internet since early this morning...not just here at Bookcrossing. Wonder if it's a Chrome issue?
Profile Image
Weird
It is very strange. I have been seeing this across the Internet since early this morning...not just here at Bookcrossing. Wonder if it's a Chrome issue?

Nope, I don't use Chrome and my font has changed too. Just here at BookCrossing, not elsewhere on the web.
Profile Image

It took a little getting used to the new font, but it does look bigger, which isn't a bad thing. :)

But..I notice that some of the Unicode characters no longer work with the new font.

In particular, the characters with a kahakō (macron over the vowel) no longer appear properly on my screen. I don't actually speak/write Hawaiian, but occasionally I have a word or title that includes those markings and it would be nice to be able to use them here. That's a very minor issue, though - I'm sure the occasional Hawaiian diacritical mark is a *microscopic* fraction of the overall usage of the site.

But..I'm curious: anyone know if other languages are running into issues with the new font?
Profile Image
But..I notice that some of the Unicode characters no longer work with the new font.

In particular, the characters with a kahakō (macron over the vowel) no longer appear properly on my screen. I don't actually speak/write Hawaiian, but occasionally I have a word or title that includes those markings and it would be nice to be able to use them here. That's a very minor issue, though - I'm sure the occasional Hawaiian diacritical mark is a *microscopic* fraction of the overall usage of the site.

But..I'm curious: anyone know if other languages are running into issues with the new font?

Hm...maybe it's a browser issue: I'm seeing the macron in Firefox. Never mind.. :)
Profile Image
The font has been changed but at the same time the links on my home page have stopped working. :(
Profile Image
the links on my home page have stopped working. :(

For most people, those links have never worked because they did not contain the right HTML code to make them clickable; if they worked for you, you probably have a very friendly and helpful browser. :)
I've converted one of your links to a link that's clickable in any browser, so you can see how it's done, and you can do the others the same way.

Plain links, starting with htt and so on, work in the Forum because the Forum contains code to make them work. On profiles, that doesn't work.
Profile Image
It used to work on all browsers for me. I haven't changed browser.

I know how to write HTML but it's a bit of a faff.
Profile Image
It used to work on all browsers for me.

I'm honestly not sure how that is possible. As far as I know, links in profiles have needed HTML to work for a long time. It's just the Forum that auto-converts them.
I don't doubt that they worked for you, but I have no idea how!

However, Reno is looking into it.
Profile Image
Hmmm, well, I mostly use Safari and Firefox if that helps.
Profile Image
the links on my home page have stopped working. :(

I have had the same trouble as greenbadger since the font was changed. Until then, all of the links on my Bookshelf Page have always worked, and must have been auto-converted. I have been listing Release Challenges and including the links in summary style for years, and just recently removed two years back when I updated for 2017, because I decided I'd only keep the current year's list and one year back. I have only used Google Chrome during that time. Perhaps Reno will be able to use my Bookshelf as a resource to help solve the puzzle. While I do use HTML for colorizing and other information, I never used HTML on the BC links I added. I just cut and pasted them from the browser page to my Bookshelf. I can also have more than one browser page open with Bookcrossing at a time, which makes that process much easier, as I can have one open to the "Manage" Bookshelf page, and another open to the Release Challenge page I am trying to copy the link from, and still another open to be registering books, or even one or two more to be checking on other things in other Forums. I've had at least five different web pages open with Bookcrossing for several hours up until now doing the same thing tonight. That is without logging in to any but the first one. Hope this helps with resolving some issues and isn't too confusing.

OH...and if I forget to Logout when I am finished and shut the computer off, once I turn it back on the next time I use it, all I have to do is bring a browser page up, click on my Bookcrossing favorite tab, and voilà...I'm back on Bookcrossing without even logging in. I've always been a bit concerned about it, but didn't/don't know what to do to prevent it. Doesn't happen with other accounts I have, and it's probably not a good thing, so that's why I'm letting you know. ; ) THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK!!! : )
Profile Image
While I do use HTML for colorizing and other information, I never used HTML on the BC links I added.

So they were not converted back now, to make them stop working; it's more like they were converted into working links before and now they are not.
Reno found out what made them work before, and he's working on putting a similar mechanism in place, so this should come back soon, no worries.

OH...and if I forget to Logout when I am finished and shut the computer off, once I turn it back on the next time I use it, all I have to do is bring a browser page up, click on my Bookcrossing favorite tab, and voilà...I'm back on Bookcrossing without even logging in

Your computer is saving the 'cookie' that tells the site that you were logged in. It's not unsafe unless other people are using your computer. It's not saved on the web, just inside your computer.
Profile Image
Your explanations were, as always...GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! : D
So they were not converted back now, to make them stop working; it's more like they were converted into working links before and now they are not.
Reno found out what made them work before, and he's working on putting a similar mechanism in place, so this should come back soon, no worries.

I wasn't really worried, nor trying to complain...and I am in NO HURRY for these MINOR unimportant in the scheme of the bigger picture things to function...just probably being "over helpful" again. ; ) I do know how time consuming finding and fixing bugs is, and how tweaking one thing can then disrupt another for a time because of how integrated everything is. HAHAHAHAHA!!! Like this morning, I find the links are working again for the moment, but the BC links from the Links and Widgets tab are not now...but I know they will again. ; ) Just thought some of the information I shared might be part of a tiny missing piece to help with the forward motion. ; D
Profile Image
When I was a new member, many moons ago, I remember finding the forums very awkward because the most recent comment was at the bottom and replies were all knitted in together. This is easily solved by changing to Flat - Latest First, under Options, but it was quite a while, maybe even a couple of years, during which I was only an occasional visitor, before I discovered this.
My suggestion is that this be the default option.

Wings - I was never quite sure what the benefit of Wings was. Occasionally someone kindly gifted me with Wings but it didn't seem to offer much that I didn't already have. As these are an obvious source of income for the site, I suggest the advantages should be more obvious.

Looking forward to seeing the new, up-graded site....but please, please, please, we need those book covers back as a priority! Speaking for myself, I won't be registering any more books until they reappear. Thanks.
Profile Image
....but please, please, please, we need those book covers back as a priority! Speaking for myself, I won't be registering any more books until they reappear. Thanks.

I second that. It's making using my newer registration books for some of the NJABBIC release challenge...challenging.

At least the workaround of saving the bookcover when it appears to my computer, then looping back around to upload the image is working. Annoying...but working.
Profile Image
At least the workaround of saving the bookcover when it appears to my computer, then looping back around to upload the image is working. Annoying...but working.

Hadn't seen anything about this workaround mentioned before, although I'm certain it's in here somewhere. ; ) Thanks, NancyNova!!! : ) I've done a little "creative uploading" with some books I registered for ResQgeek's "Becky's Hugs" Challenge (her smile is contagious and my Bookshelf is FULL of it), but I'll give this workaround a try on the next books I register. ; )
Profile Image

Hadn't seen anything about this workaround mentioned before, although I'm certain it's in here somewhere. ; )

it was mentioned here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/534328
and I think its the best method for now to deal with the unsolved problem ;-)
Profile Image
it was mentioned here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/534328
and I think its the best method for now to deal with the unsolved problem ;-)
THANK YOU, eligi!!! : ) With all of the BC Staff and Reno working diligently nonstop day and night, it will be repaired before we know it, and then we will be able to update our covers. ; )
Profile Image
Saving and uploading the book's cover image using the Global Overview Icon next to the "Who's looking for this book?" BC question at the lower right works famously for the books that have images available. Just managed to update five book covers in very short time this way. ; )

Here's the link iwillrejoice posted with the information in the Forum link eligi provided...THANK YOU, iwillrejoice!!! : )
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8875491
Profile Image
a hard time even finding the newest comments.

That said, I am wondering if something has changed already as I am noticing that the font and even the font used for numerals, looks different than it did even yesterday. I haven't done anything on my own computer that would have caused that to happen (and am not noticing any differences in this elsewhere on the internet, just here at bookcrossing).

Profile Image

That's easily fixed. As mentioned by DubaiReader, you can change the way you view forum posts by changing to Flat - Latest First under Options.
https://flic.kr/---/RxKXAG

That way, all the posts in the thread are sorted in the order they are posted, with the newest at the top.

That's how I view all the Forum threads and it makes it very easy to see what new comments have been made.
Profile Image

That's easily fixed. As mentioned by DubaiReader, you can change the way you view forum posts by changing to Flat - Latest First under Options.
https://flic.kr/---/RxKXAG

That way, all the posts in the thread are sorted in the order they are posted, with the newest at the top.

That's how I view all the Forum threads and it makes it very easy to see what new comments have been made.

We all have our own preferences. I use Threaded - Condensed, : )
Profile Image
Welcome back! :D
Profile Image
Good to have you back at the wheel, Reno! I think I speak for many when I talk of the amazing adventures, the dear friends, and the many many books that have come my way since joining BookCrossing.

There are children who would not have been born, if it weren't for BookCrossing. I know of at least three marriages begun that way.

There are those who have left us. Whiteraven - founder of Markeroni - you may recall, and far too many others.

Pardon a little wary. Redsoxbookguy, for all his amazing zing, had some marvellous plans for BookCrossing, and they didn't really happen, though he certainly put new zeal and energy into the site.

Books seem to be in decline, with e-readers and audiobooks booming. Little Free Libraries and the like are springing up because there are so many good books being decluttered. I've sold or given away several thousand over the past few years, and I try not to accumulate any more. I wonder how much of a future physical books have. The kind that people might want to pass on, I mean; there'll always be a place for big glossy books, short runs and specialist titles.

And finally, all my thanks to Bruce and Heather and their small but dedicated team, who have spent many years keeping this thing going. You picked those partners well!

Now, I might just go off and buy some wings. Thanks again!
Profile Image
We miss you!!

Well, postage certainly put a damper on international and even domestic trading, and ebooks for sure. On the other hand, there are a lot of LFLs that spring up so releasing in some way is easier.

I'd definitely love some smartphone friendly feature, and definitely an app in the future. How great it would be if I can spot any OBCZs and LFLs near me on the map. Also, the ability to scan the barcode of a book and get it added to the wishlist, or get the registration process started, will be great too.

Also, using GPS to help w releasing books will be great. Especially, as other said, when we are visiting. I help out with cleaning up the OBCZs as well, and a lot of them are from visitors who have no idea how to look under the regions and cities, as well as location names that appear twice, in both in English and the local language. Yelp check in, for example, shows businesses that are near you, and while it's not perfect, is certainly helpful.

Book cover loading is another issue that I hope can be fixed soon. Sometimes I can see the image on Amazon, but BC search still return empty handed.
Profile Image
Greetings from Ukraine, Reno!
Profile Image
Oh yes, the perils of releasing in a country you're not familiar with! I tend to release a lot of books when I'm travelling (lately that's been the only time I've really released books), and it's always such a struggle to figure out what state/province/region/whatever you're in, and then the local spelling of the precise location

Having an option to release by using the coordinates would help here; then the site could make the correct release place names of where those coordinates are. But it might be too much work to do that and not everyone knows about coordinates. For those that do though it would be useful to be able to take the coordinates on your phone or gps and give the correct release spot. If a phone app was made for BC release, perhaps being able to click on something would allow releasing in real time and the phone knowing where you are, would be able to log automatically, country, state etc, town and time of release. The person releasing would then only need to give the detail of where exactly the book was released, such as on the bench or by the horse statue, etc. Doing a manual release should always remain an option though, for those without smart phones, or out of mobile/cell range.
By the way, there are a lot of Geocachers out there, and if a book were something else that could be hunted using coordinates perhaps that would get interest from the millions of Geocachers, as another thing to hunt down. Just a thought. Don't know if this would be so.
Profile Image
by the complaint many have made here about how hard it is to release multiple books. I just released 44 books and it seems all I had to do was list the where and when in the first one and then just the BCID to move on to the next, and the next. The only way that could be easier is if Ballycumber was psychic and could figure out the next BCIDs without my input.

If a note is wanted in the release note it's a simple copy and paste from the first one, which takes just a few seconds, or if you have wings, the site will save and input your standard release note in each one.

I haven't released many this month as I've not been feeling well (and was behind on my release notes for the same reason), but I've released as many as 400 in a month before and never found the release process burdensome. Registering the books and posting to Challenges took longer than doing multiple releases, at least for me.

So, as I said, I'm baffled. There are lots of things here that I think could use improvement, but that isn't one of them.

Just my two cents...
Profile Image
It takes longer to put stickers (and write on some of them) on the book than release it on here.
Profile Image
Hello Reno, good to see you back helping with our site and community...it is 13 years now since I comitted to bc...My problem is for one that when I register a book, it shows the bookcover icon and then when I look at the book it has dissapeared...and I have to scan the bookcover and upload it or search for the cover online..this was working fine until a short while ago... and then I have another problem with the automatically filled in log in in my browser... I would like to send you a picture to make clear what I mean: manuma@hand-z-art.ch
And yes, if I look for members and do not know where exactly they live, I have a problem finding them...and now, never had a problem with the shop. that is all for now, thanks again for comming back! manuma
Profile Image
Any feedback on the comments so far?
Would be interested to hear your response......
Profile Image
from displaying these two confusing messages both at the same time, when a book is successfully registered, following a second database search if it wasn't found the first time. Very confusing to a newbie.

"Note: Book successfully registered.

Error: Sorry, there was a problem processing your request. Please recheck your input and try again."
Profile Image
from displaying these two confusing messages both at the same time, when a book is successfully registered, following a second database search if it wasn't found the first time. Very confusing to a newbie.

"Note: Book successfully registered.

Error: Sorry, there was a problem processing your request. Please recheck your input and try again."

Yeah, that is fairly annoying. I've learned to just ignore it and proceed to the "view registered book" page so I can add the cover image... :s
Profile Image
is fixed, I hope this will be considered as well: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/529847
Profile Image
is fixed, I hope this will be considered as well

As far as I'm concerned, it won't be considered... Just done.

But I'm wondering now: what do you mean when you say 'Supply Store accessibility of bookplates'?
Profile Image

But I'm wondering now: what do you mean when you say 'Supply Store accessibility of bookplates'?

I think solittletime is referring to access to older bookplates - pagination, being able to click on a label image on a book's page and order it, etc.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/527002
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8869705

I'd also like to be able to buy the earlier artist labels, if that's do-able. I suppose that will depend in part on what sort of arrangement BC has with the various artists.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8870645
Profile Image

I think solittletime is referring to access to older bookplates - pagination, being able to click on a label image on a book's page and order it, etc.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/527002
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8869705

I'd also like to be able to buy the earlier artist labels, if that's do-able. I suppose that will depend in part on what sort of arrangement BC has with the various artists.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8870645

I realize this might not be do-able with the current store setup, or even something the powers that be want, but as a customer, I really liked the "Order multiple singles to receive quantity discounts" option - that way I could get a good variety at a reasonable price. (Of course, this works best if we have pagination so we can see the wide variety of created bookplates.)

And if that quantity discount is NOT going to be an option, the text about it really should be removed from the ordering screen. :s
Profile Image
I realize this might not be do-able with the current store setup, or even something the powers that be want, but as a customer, I really liked the "Order multiple singles to receive quantity discounts" option - that way I could get a good variety at a reasonable price. (Of course, this works best if we have pagination so we can see the wide variety of created bookplates.)

I always wished we could order, say, 4 packs of 25, & get the 100 price. For variety. I did suggest this once, but there was no reply.
Profile Image
I always wished we could order, say, 4 packs of 25, & get the 100 price. For variety.

I'm not sure the Store is smart enough for that. The different bookplates are separate products and I don't think it can add them up like that.
Profile Image
if that quantity discount is NOT going to be an option, the text about it really should be removed from the ordering screen. :s

It most certainly should, yes.
Profile Image

Then I'm confused. She said 'as well' so I thought there must be two separate issues. This one will be fixed for sure.

Edited to add:
I've drank some tea, re-read some forum messages, and now I understand the different features being asked about.

- Pagination on the Bookplate Gallery, so we can see and order more different bookplates:
this one will be back for sure.

-Showing all store-bought bookplates on the book's journal page:
probably possible for prenumbereds, not sure how hard this is to implement, but will be considered,

And closely related to that, making it possible again to click on the label thumbnail on someone else's book's journal page and order those labels:
very likely to return.

It does, yes, and also it's a lot of work to make the labels in all the languages we sell in the Store nowadays; it would not feel right to add these labels back to the English section and not add them to the other sections as well. But we'll see what can be done.

Previous  1 2 3 4 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.