corner corner Outage Nov, 21st, 2016

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Outage Nov, 21st, 2016

During the last 24 hours or so the BookCrossing server has been extremely slow or even completely unresponsive at times.
It took some time to figure out what was going on (to be true we didn't yet fully identify the original cause) but now the service should again be running as “smooth” as it used to in the recent times.
We're still working on a major upgrade to the servers “soon” but since this requires significant modifications in the background it will certainly take some time. Not to be expected to happen this year ... :-(

Complete Thread

Profile Image
During the last 24 hours or so the BookCrossing server has been extremely slow or even completely unresponsive at times.
It took some time to figure out what was going on (to be true we didn't yet fully identify the original cause) but now the service should again be running as “smooth” as it used to in the recent times.
We're still working on a major upgrade to the servers “soon” but since this requires significant modifications in the background it will certainly take some time. Not to be expected to happen this year ... :-(
Profile Image
and for all you do!
Profile Image
Not to be expected to happen this year ... :-(

Well, next year isn't that far off . . .

ETA: Thanks for letting us know what happened. BC is *always* a lot slower to load than any other site, but yesterday it was inordinately so. I wondered what was going on!
Profile Image

Thanks!

Earlier this morning, I at least got the *oh bother* screen so I figured the problem had been identified and was being addressed. It was just worrisome yesterday when there was no message, just blank white screen or endless loading.

Thanks again for all you do, Ardik and company!
Profile Image

Hmm....

Here on the site, things seem to be back to normal but I am still unable to access a bookcrossing summary alert I received in my inbox this morning. When I click on it, I am still getting the message that the site is down:

"Oh Bother!

bookcrossing.com is currently down for server maintenance.
This is expected to last only a few minutes."
Profile Image

RE: Hmm....

It may still be cached in your local web browser.

Try a hard page reload:

On Windows (plus Firefox at least) hold down the shift key while you click on the reload-button.
Profile Image
(whispers ignorantly) reload button? I know where the shift key is but don't see a reload button... I use google as a browser. Should I just shut down and reboot? Would that do it?
Profile Image
I use google as a browser.

Google is not a browser. Google is a search engine. It's a webpage that you view in your browser. It lives on the web; your browser lives in your computer and it's a program (or a piece of software, which is the same thing); its purpose is to show you webpages, like google.com and bookcrossing.com.

The reload button is not on your keyboard, it's on the screen, most likely near the top of the window; it often looks like an arrow bent into a circle. You can usually get the same result by pushing the F5 button on your keyboard.

Does any of this help? Feel free to let me know if it does not.
Profile Image
"your browser lives in your computer" I'm thinking of a children's book with something cute with big eyes to see all those webpages, that you coax out with a treat. I think I'm losing it.
Profile Image
"your browser lives in your computer" I'm thinking of a children's book with something cute with big eyes to see all those webpages, that you coax out with a treat. I think I'm losing it.

That would makes fantastic book for little kids to learn how the internet works.

Site is still super slow through Safari, Silk and Firefox? Plus what ever system my phone uses.
Profile Image
Ok, I misunderstood. I do know the reload button up there on my screen. I just did it and it worked (duh!) ;-)

But isn't google chrome a browser? I thought that was the same sort of things as internet explorer. I did mean google chrome and not just google.com, is what I use.

Thanks, as always, Moem.
Profile Image
But isn't google chrome a browser? I thought that was the same sort of things as internet explorer. I did mean google chrome and not just google.com, is what I use.

Yes, google crome and internet explorer are browsers. If someone says "chrome", I think of the browser, but when I hear "google", I think "google.com". Might what has happened here as well.
Profile Image
If someone says "chrome", I think of the browser, but when I hear "google", I think "google.com". Might what has happened here as well.

Yes! That's exactly what happened. Thanks for clearing that up!
Profile Image
Google Chrome is a browser though? [Edited to add the other notes hadn't popped up yet - other minds think alike] :-D
Profile Image
It may still be cached in your local web browser.

Try a hard page reload:

On Windows (plus Firefox at least) hold down the shift key while you click on the reload-button.

It has worked for me too! Thank you!! :)
Profile Image
Thanks, Ardik: As usual, you are THE MAN!
Profile Image
And for all your hard work.
Profile Image
Thank you, Ardik; it seems fine now & I'm glad you're there.
Profile Image
Hi, there. Thanks for the update and your work to fix the problems.

Just to let ya know...
Login over .com domain is fine and everthing works as expected again for me, but I can't login over .de domain.
So maybe you want to look into that issue as well.

Profile Image
Login over .com domain is fine and everthing works as expected again for me, but I can't login over .de domain.

BookCrossing doesn't have an official .de Domain.
The existing .de domain is owned by a person who is unknown to us.

So far they seem to play well, but you never know what might happen.
Therefor we advise not to use that domain but always use http://www.bookcrossing.com instead.
Profile Image
We appreciate it!
Profile Image
..I wasn't sure if it was my connection and/or my antiquated computer.

We appreciate you doing battle with the computer gremlins for us!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.