corner corner BookCrossing is making Strides!

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BookCrossing is making Strides!

Thanks for your patience as we get back on pace. The team has done an amazing job getting the map back and also a new more global friendly store. A few stumbles but they are all being addressed. Localization, new features, bug fixes and more! If you had one feature request for us, what would it be?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Thanks for your patience as we get back on pace. The team has done an amazing job getting the map back and also a new more global friendly store. A few stumbles but they are all being addressed. Localization, new features, bug fixes and more! If you had one feature request for us, what would it be?
Profile Image
Wonderful news all around, and despite some of the stumbles I'm loving the updates!

I did find one bug that would be nice to be rid of: has to do with the book-categories in new wishlist items. When I create a new wish for a book that does not already have a global-overview page on the site, I can enter a category along with the title/author/ISBN - but the resulting global-overview page doesn't include the category I entered, having a blank category instead. Since newly-registered books usually take the global-overview category as the default, this can cause headaches down the line - though I see that some fixes re the new-registration categories have already been made (hooray!), so this might not be as much of a problem as it once was.
Profile Image
but that's all I can read. Of course since I can't open any thread's initial post, I also can't hit "reply" to it.

(I'm guessing it's a bug, not a sneaky way to keep us from replying.)
Profile Image
but that's all I can read. Of course since I can't open any thread's initial post, I also can't hit "reply" to it.

What forum-view are you using? I'm using "threaded - full" and can see the first posts just fine. [Might be a browser issue, of course.]
Profile Image
What forum-view are you using? I'm using "threaded - full" and can see the first posts just fine. [Might be a browser issue, of course.]

I use threaded - condensed. I guess what is condensed is the first post in each thread, right now. Condensed to just the subject line. Because last night I read the announcement of the changes to the store and site in the other thread, and now all I've got there is the subject line. It's in all forums apparently, and even old posts.

And the site won't let me change to threaded - full. I use Firefox for a browser. I know it's not just my computer, as I saw someone else mentioned the same problem in another thread, so felt I should report it too.
Profile Image
but that's all I can read.

He did, and I'll quote it for you:
Profile Image
: )
Profile Image
But I still can't see anything but the subject line in ANY initial post, old or new, no content at all, in all forums.

ETA: Obviously others can read the initial posts because they are responding to them. Is it just Firefox that isn't working?
Profile Image
ETA: Obviously others can read the initial posts because they are responding to them. Is it just Firefox that isn't working?

Firefox is working for me in this respect!
Version 42.0
Profile Image
Obviously others can read the initial posts because they are responding to them.

Probably depends on your forum view settings, which cannot be changed at the moment.
Profile Image
Yes. As I can't see them in Firefox on my computer, nor on my iPhone or iPad.

Forum view - Threaded - condensed

Which is the only view I use. I'm sure it will get fixed eventually. And I'll go back and read all the intitial posts everywhere. : }
Profile Image
Forum view - Threaded - condensed

Well, there you go. The people replying to them are using Full view, so they can see them.
Profile Image
The parent post used to show at both the top and bottom of the thread now it just shows at the bottom. Not a problem unless there are a lot of posts to scroll through before getting to thr original post :P
Profile Image
I can't use latest first at all now, only threaded full. The other options don't seem to work. Mostly I use threaded full anyway but it's difficult for long threads.

I've tried in two different browsers (Firefox and Safari).

Also I can no longer edit posts and I see people on the forum saying the same.

Thanks for the updates, just a couple of little snagging issues to fix when you have time please!
Profile Image
Forum has my full attention this evening, last major bug set on my list.
Profile Image

Thanks to you and the team for the amazing job you're all doing.
Well done guys ! I love the map.
Profile Image
Thank you very much! :)

I am absolutely loving the new map, great work.
Profile Image

Is the fact that the book search is still not working not considered as a major bug?
Profile Image
Is the fact that the book search is still not working not considered as a major bug?

It is, for sure, but Matt doesn't know that yet.
Profile Image
I'm not liking that the original post disappears from the top on "Flat - Latest First" view though....
LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing bookplates instead of adverts ;)
Profile Image
I'm not liking that the original post disappears from the top on "Flat - Latest First" view though....

Yes, definitely want the original post at the top of latest first view.
Profile Image

Yes, I miss having the original post there...and the link to "parent thread".
Profile Image

2 items

all forum topics are showing and will not allow you to deselect any of them(foreign languages of instance) and you cannot edit or delete journal posts.

Plus I'm also am not liking that the original post disappears from the top on "Flat - Latest First" view
Profile Image

Another Glitch

I hate to start off on a negative note, though, so first let me say -- Great Work and Thanks to Matt and Ardik and Matt again!

My issue comes in trying to register a book for which I don't have an ISBN and which doesn't come up with a title search. Once I select "Skip Search", I can enter the basic required info as often as I want, but it is already in error mode, with "This value is required" appearing several times in red at the bottom of the field. Even entering the information doesn't help, as when I click on "save" it gives me an error code. Have tried this on my tablet and on my desk top with the same result.

Not the world's most pressing problem, even in terms of BC, but I thought it should be brought to someone's attention.
Profile Image
I thought it should be brought to someone's attention.

You're very right, it's on the list.
Profile Image
I hate to start off on a negative note, though, so first let me say -- Great Work and Thanks to Matt and Ardik and Matt again!

My issue comes in trying to register a book for which I don't have an ISBN and which doesn't come up with a title search. Once I select "Skip Search", I can enter the basic required info as often as I want, but it is already in error mode, with "This value is required" appearing several times in red at the bottom of the field. Even entering the information doesn't help, as when I click on "save" it gives me an error code. Have tried this on my tablet and on my desk top with the same result.

Not the world's most pressing problem, even in terms of BC, but I thought it should be brought to someone's attention.

I had the same trouble - using a pre-generated number - but found a temporary workaround. Register a DIFFERENT book, one with an ISBN so you can do the search. Once you're finished with the entire registration process, you can go back and edit the book's info/cover image.

That's how I got this one done: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13677353
Profile Image
When trying to edit a post the "error message please try again" constantly shows up making it impossible to edit a post

The bookcrossing team are doing a SUPER FABULOUSE Job though :)
Profile Image
When trying to edit a post the "error message please try again" constantly shows up making it impossible to edit a post

The bookcrossing team are doing a SUPER FABULOUSE Job though :)

I have no problem editing ordinary posts within a thread, but trying to edit a lead post, the initial post with which I opened a thread, that does lead to an error message.

Were you editing a lead post or just a random post of yours in a thread?
Profile Image
If you had one feature request for us, what would it be?

Not related to this latest update, and I'm not sure that my mind or my browser aren't playing tricks on me maybe, but for a while now I've had a feeling that the choice of source to use for book search when registering a book no longer sticks. I loved it when it did. I mostly use Google books as source, but these days I always come to find Amazon as default.

If it'd go back to sticking, that'd be great. Little things in life! ;)

Of the features that were mentioned as in the works, I think I'm most looking forward to the maps in JE that show a books travels.
Profile Image
I physically released 2 this morning but cannot release them on site. I assume this is linked to the current updates. Any indication of when this is expected to be fixed?
Profile Image
Not just you, at all. It's being worked on. There is no timeline other than 'as fast as possible'.
Profile Image
There is no timeline other than 'as fast as possible'.

Uh oh.
Profile Image
There is no timeline other than 'as fast as possible'.

Uh oh.

Would you prefer 'we'll wait three days before we fix it because that's the planning'? My personal expectation is that it will be fixed today.
Profile Image
I physically released 2 this morning but cannot release them on site.

I was able to make release notes a couple of hours ago; is the problem a browser-compatibility issue, perhaps?
Profile Image
I managed to do the release notes for one of my books this morning, so that at least is working. What doesn't seem to be working is shelf-search for finding the relevant title. Search is just so much easier than scrolling through pages of books to find the right one.

I don't know about browser compatibility issues. I tried the search function on both Firefox and Chrome and both produced the same error message. I'm not seeing anything similar in any other sites so I assume it's a BC issue.
Profile Image
What doesn't seem to be working is shelf-search for finding the relevant title.

That's correct: the search feature is currently broken. I expect that to be on today's to-do list. However, it's Saturday, so I may be wrong.
Profile Image
I physically released 2 this morning but cannot release them on site. I assume this is linked to the current updates.

I'm on Safari, and aside from it telling me that a prenumbered label registration went awry (it didn't-- despite the error message the BCID was activated) I've done ok with releases. I did have a problem creating a new zone, but Matt said earlier today that's on his list to take care of, if he hasn't already.

Does the man never sleep???
Profile Image

The BC Team has indeed done...and as always, continues to do...an amazing job, Bruce! : ) With changes and upgrades as intricate as the ones being undertaken here are added to a site, one can only anticipate and expect that there will be a period of time and adjustment before everything is tweeked to the perfection some seem to need and expect by those who graciously give of their time and talents in volunteering to maintain such a wonderful site that benefits so many. I for one, have shopped the new store and find all of the features I need there, and on the rest of the site...and then some...and I greatly appreciate, and am thankful for, all of the time and effort that each member of the BC Team contributes on a daily basis to make Bookcrossing a reality.
Profile Image
The French part of the forum is also expressing their thanks: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/525374 (in this thread explicitly, but also elsewhere in the recent posts).
Profile Image

Wow

I didn't check the forum for some time, and bookcrossing. I see I missed A LOT. Great work! Thanks. Will roam about and see and enjoy what has been done to the website, I'm sure.
Thanks again!
Profile Image

More covers! If Goodreads and Librarything have covers of nearly every edition ever printed, couldn't we have them, too?

I registered four books this morning using ISBNs, and not a one of them came up with the correct cover.
Profile Image
and not a one of them came up with the correct cover.

I don't know what I'd do without our scanner! My husband uses it for all sorts of stuff - but I only ever scan book covers for BookCrossing purposes :-)
Profile Image
but I only ever scan book covers for BookCrossing purposes :-)

I do the same thing as Nu-Knees using the "Fax and Scan" feature on the computer/printer I am able to borrow from time to time. It is a fairly quick and easy process, and a BIG HELP with the "moldie oldie" covers some of MY copies have! ; )

When you register a book, choose any cover available you like. After you scan your book's image into the computer, you can select "Update Cover" for your book and you can upload it right in to replace what's there. ; )

A FABULOUS BOOKCROSSING SITE FEATURE! : D
Profile Image
and not a one of them came up with the correct cover.

I don't know what I'd do without our scanner! My husband uses it for all sorts of stuff - but I only ever scan book covers for BookCrossing purposes :-)

Question: if I scan a cover and use it for my book (which I, like some others, do often), does that scan then come up as an option for other BC members?

(Otherwise, if you don't see the one you want and you don't have a scanner, you could do a search for that title. Then if you discover that someone else has used the cover you want, save that image to your computer and then re-upload it for your own book. I've also done a web image search to find a cover image to upload..)
Profile Image
if I scan a cover and use it for my book (which I, like some others, do often), does that scan then come up as an option for other BC members?

No, but I like your feature request. ;-)
I've been toying with that idea, too.
Profile Image
if I scan a cover and use it for my book (which I, like some others, do often), does that scan then come up as an option for other BC members?

No, but I like your feature request. ;-)
I've been toying with that idea, too.

I have no idea how do-able it is, but it does seem like it would be nice - another source of cover images. :)
Profile Image
When the cover of my book doesn't show up, I go to Goodreads or Amazon to see if they have the correct cover, then right click on the picture and save it in my computer. Then I can upload it without having to scan my book.

If I can't find the cover, then I use my phone to take a picture of the book. It never even occurred to me to just put the book on the scanner!
Profile Image
If I can't find the cover, then I use my phone to take a picture of the book. It never even occurred to me to just put the book on the scanner!

If you have a printer with a scanner option (if it can make copies it can often scan as well) it's usually quite easy. Fewer flash/lighting issues and no trouble with funky perspectives that you can get when taking a photo. Plus, since I have a camera, not a camera phone, I don't have to transfer it to the computer. :)

Once or twice I've had a little trouble scanning covers with foil on them, but they don't come out great with the camera flash either, and generally I find the detail is better with a scan.
Profile Image
I like getting the messages about books being released. I had to cancel almost all of them because I got huge numbers of mails when people filled OBCZs in the cities I had in the list. I'd love to get release alerts for these cities again if it was possible to un-check certain release zones in them. In my case e.g. I'd love to get the alerts for Germany -> Berlin -> Wedding but only without the BlnBiblioboxx.

I hope you understand what I mean :-) And: This is only an idea. I can live without it, I guess
;-)
Profile Image
I had to cancel almost all of them because I got huge numbers of mails when people filled OBCZs in the cities I had in the list.

Have you considered switching to the "digest" notification format? That way you'd only get one email per day, containing links to all the recently-released books in your area(s). (An option to fine-tune the notifications might be handy, but this could be a helpful workaround for now...)
Profile Image
Since the latest major update the site has become so slow to us it is painful and is making me reconsider visiting the site. Even loading the first page takes longer that opening a page which contains two hours worth of moving images. Is it the map feature, the revolving ads that are now shown about bookplates?

I would report this in the bugs forum, but to change the filter list of what forums I see took so long I gave up waiting for the checklist to appear.
Profile Image
Since the latest major update the site has become so slow to us it is painful

I have noticed quite a bit of slowing recently myself, but equate that more with all of the "Black Friday", "Cyber Monday", etc., worldwide shopping load being put on the World Wide Web in general at this time, and not the BC site upgrades and their bug resolves, which just happen to have fallen in line with this, partly because Matt had such a challenge with his computer crashing all during the same timeframe. WHEW! Can't imagine the overload and lack of sleep involved there to keep the site running at all! ; ) I'm sure the throttling that some of those retail and financial sites randomly participate in via there server services in an effort to make things faster for those they "think" should be benefiting from extra speed to encourage more spending at this time isn't helping either. What one does effects all. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. I think things will return to normalcy once this all passes. ; )
Profile Image
It's not lightning fast, as it never was in the first place, and it still does lag a tiny bit compared to how it was before the update, but it is infinitely faster than how it was yesterday morning. :)
Profile Image
I thought it was a little faster yesterday and today it seems back to normal. Thanks for all your hard work Matt et al.
Profile Image
I thought it was a little faster yesterday and today it seems back to normal.

Yes, it seems to be about there now!
Thanks for all your hard work Matt et al.

ETA: Only 'about' as I didn't want to speak too soon - and then there was a noticeable delay between my pressing 'Save' and this post appearing ....
Profile Image
The sorting option in the forum still seems to default to Threaded - Full every time I re-enter a thread. Do I need to clear my cache for the option to stick to my choice of Flat - Latest First, or is this still being worked on? Please say the latter, as I'd prefer not to have to wipe my cache. ;)
Profile Image
is this still being worked on?

That's been fixed for me for a while now. I think you're better off clearing your cookies. Unless you want the bug to stick around for a while! ;-)
Profile Image
is this still being worked on?

That's been fixed for me for a while now. I think you're better off clearing your cookies. Unless you want the bug to stick around for a while! ;-)
Darn! I was afraid of that. Do you know the number of usernames and passwords I'll have to type in again! ;)
Profile Image
Do you know the number of usernames and passwords I'll have to type in again! ;)

As it happens, yes! Just one, if you only clear the cookies from BookCrossing.com.
Profile Image
Do you know the number of usernames and passwords I'll have to type in again! ;)

As it happens, yes! Just one, if you only clear the cookies from BookCrossing.com.

Oh. Duh. Thanks!
That thought never even crossed my mind.
*laughing at myself like crazy!* :D
Profile Image

Still not working for me, regardless of browser, despite having deleted all BC cookies and clearing my browser cache. Last reported on 13 Nov at http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8613432
Profile Image

...there used to be a sorting option so you could sort the members of a city by the number of books they registered. That was very helpful if you wanted to contact Bookcossers for meetups when you were in the area (e.g. on holiday), as you could easily find the most active people there. It's okay if the members only fill 3 pages, but to scroll through 30 pages of members to find a likely contact for a meetup suggestion is a bit much. Any chance of having that back?

Otherwise: Thanks to Matt and team for keeping the sight in smooth operation :-)
Profile Image

...there used to be a sorting option so you could sort the members of a city by the number of books they registered.

You can still do that! You just need to do a search for members by city, rather than going through the Browse Members link.
Profile Image

...there used to be a sorting option so you could sort the members of a city by the number of books they registered.

You can still do that! You just need to do a search for members by city, rather than going through the Browse Members link.

Oh, great! I never tried that... ;-) Thank you for the tip.
Profile Image
There was (and is) a special feature at the bookcrossers.de - page.

If there the BCID is typed in (anonymous) but no JE is entered within a certain time a JE-entry 'generated' which says this:
"Hinweis von BookCrossers.de:
Dieses Buch wurde gefunden, da die BCID über die Supportseite eingegeben wurde.
Leider hat der Finder sich nicht getraut ein Journal zu schreiben.
Köln, 15-05-2015
i.A. Wyando"
freely translated:
"notice from BookCrossers.de:
This book was found, because the BCID was entered at the support page.
Unfortunately the finder hasn't dared to write a journal entry.
..."

You see such an entry here:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12753374
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6681366/
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11975574/

Before the great change of the Bookcrossing-page at 2010 this mssg was generated autmatically by Bookcrossers.de but since 2010 Wyando it entering those notices manually.

It would be really great if this feature could be adopted on the Bookcrossing-page.
It's quite encouraging to hear from a book at this way.

Why don't you introduce something like a crowd-founding for new features for BC?
I think, a lot of German bookcrossers, who know the feature from BookCrossers.de would be willing to donate towards this feature.
Maybe it would be possible to create a shop item/donation button at the shop to collect money for a special feature, e.g. with a bar-system which shows how many percent of the needed sum is already collected.
Profile Image
Thank's for the constant perfection ! That's the best bookcrossing service I've found so far.
Profile Image
the best bookcrossing service I've found so far.

It's the only one, and you haven't used it yet... so how would you know?
Profile Image

I think it would be fun to have a few more promotional items available in the store (such as pins, buttons, drop cards (like business cards), or even a T-shirt and maybe add a larger release bag for thicker/larger books.
Profile Image

I think it would be fun to have a few more promotional items available in the store (such as pins, buttons, drop cards (like business cards), or even a T-shirt and maybe add a larger release bag for thicker/larger books.

Have you seen these? https://bookcrossing.spreadshirt.com This link comes from the BookCrossing Affiliates Program list here... http://www.bookcrossing.com/buy It is the second link (BookCrossing on Spreadsheet) under the link for BookCrossing Supply Store in the first Category...BookCrossing Merchandise. There's also a "Treasure Chest" Icon to select on the Supply Store Page where you choose which category of supplies (Wings, Bookplates, Release Supplies, etc.) you are looking to order. Sorry, if I put that link here it throws all of the text off. Just click on the "Store" above, then select your language, and the Icons will be displayed. The "Treasure Chest" is the last one in the second row (lower right hand corner). ; )
Profile Image

Have you seen these? https://bookcrossing.spreadshirt.com This link comes from the BookCrossing Affiliates Program list here... http://www.bookcrossing.com/buy It is the second link (BookCrossing on Spreadsheet) under the link for BookCrossing Supply Store in the first Category...BookCrossing Merchandise. There's also a "Treasure Chest" Icon to select on the Supply Store Page where you choose which category of supplies (Wings, Bookplates, Release Supplies, etc.) you are looking to order. Sorry, if I put that link here it throws all of the text off. Just click on the "Store" above, then select your language, and the Icons will be displayed. The "Treasure Chest" is the last one in the second row (lower right hand corner). ; )

I can't figure out how to get to that BookCrossing Affiliates page, except through the link you supplied. I can't find it directly on my computer. How are you getting there? I don't find it when I click on Supply Store.

I'm not sure that's a current page as it says you get wings with a $30 purchase and I think it is now $40.

Thanks.
Profile Image
I'm not sure that's a current page as it says you get wings with a $30 purchase and I think it is now $40.

You are right, it's not a current page, which is why it's not on the menu. But the links to affiliates still work fine.
Profile Image
I can't figure out how to get to that BookCrossing Affiliates page, except through the link you supplied. I can't find it directly on my computer. How are you getting there? I don't find it when I click on Supply Store.

Thanks.

I was so excited when I originally found it that I put it on my Bookshelf Page to have for future reference (all the affiliates in one place), solittletime. That's actually been quite some time ago now, I'm thinking maybe just after the New Year when I was updating my Bookshelf information for 2016. I hadn't visited in in awhile, so I didn't realize it wasn't current, except for the affiliates...THANK YOU MOEM! : ) Does that mean that the BC Products on the Spreadsheet Page aren't available any longer...or is there a new page?
Profile Image
Does that mean that the BC Products on the Spreadsheet Page aren't available any longer

No no, you can still order those. The links on the page are fine. But the information about Wings on that page itself is outdated, because the page is not maintained.
Profile Image
I remember asking a while ago if there could be a long-sleeved BC shirt, but I don't see any listed still. Or a sweatshirt (not a hoodie).
Profile Image
I remember asking a while ago if there could be a long-sleeved BC shirt, but I don't see any listed still. Or a sweatshirt (not a hoodie).

The problem with the Spreadshirt shop is that BC gets very very little commission, unfortunately.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.