corner corner News from the Store... and so much more

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

News from the Store... and so much more

As we write this, the BC Supply Store is closed for renovations! Don't worry, it won't be long. Later this week, we'll be reopening a fully renewed Store, which has an all-new, multilingual interface! Products are now categorised by language. We hope you'll find everything easier to find this way.
You'll see that prices on all bookplates, Econolabels and Official Stickers are for now lower. Shipping costs for the whole world have gone down as well. Unfortunately, Wings for a year had to go up a bit to account for inflation (after all, the price had been unchanged since many years).

Some things are still a work in progress. You may notice that not all names and descriptions have been translated yet. Some others look a bit funny because for now, we've used automatic translation here and there. All of this will be corrected over time. We just liked the multilingual Store so much that we could not wait to open it.

Oh, and there's more. In fact, more good news.
We are not just making changes to the Store; we are also working on exciting new features, the return of much-loved old features, and last but not least some much-needed bug fixes! A few highlights which you can expect to materialise before Christmas, listed in no particular order:
- Return of mapping features! The first taste of things to come is a catch-and-release map, which will go live today. More mapping integration is in the works.
- Fixes for bugs regarding: Facebook and Twitter connection, bookcategories which change after registering a book.
- The long-awaited tagging feature for books.
- Search function for member created bookplates.
- More functionality for users on mobile devices.
- Less advertising on the site. Remaining ads will be hand-picked, not random.

We're happy to be the bearers of such good news. See you in the new Store
soon!

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
As we write this, the BC Supply Store is closed for renovations! Don't worry, it won't be long. Later this week, we'll be reopening a fully renewed Store, which has an all-new, multilingual interface! Products are now categorised by language. We hope you'll find everything easier to find this way.
You'll see that prices on all bookplates, Econolabels and Official Stickers are for now lower. Shipping costs for the whole world have gone down as well. Unfortunately, Wings for a year had to go up a bit to account for inflation (after all, the price had been unchanged since many years).

Some things are still a work in progress. You may notice that not all names and descriptions have been translated yet. Some others look a bit funny because for now, we've used automatic translation here and there. All of this will be corrected over time. We just liked the multilingual Store so much that we could not wait to open it.

Oh, and there's more. In fact, more good news.
We are not just making changes to the Store; we are also working on exciting new features, the return of much-loved old features, and last but not least some much-needed bug fixes! A few highlights which you can expect to materialise before Christmas, listed in no particular order:
- Return of mapping features! The first taste of things to come is a catch-and-release map, which will go live today. More mapping integration is in the works.
- Fixes for bugs regarding: Facebook and Twitter connection, bookcategories which change after registering a book.
- The long-awaited tagging feature for books.
- Search function for member created bookplates.
- More functionality for users on mobile devices.
- Less advertising on the site. Remaining ads will be hand-picked, not random.

We're happy to be the bearers of such good news. See you in the new Store
soon!
Profile Image
Thank you SO much!
Profile Image
That's awesome news! Thank you so much for your hard work on making this site still better:-)
Profile Image
And running much faster too! :)
Profile Image
OK, I've got the message, so can you now PLEASE remove the extremely annoying advertising message which keeps opening and closing itself at the top of every BC page.
Profile Image
Matt is working on it as we speak. Sorry about that!
Profile Image
Matt is working on it as we speak. Sorry about that!

Thanks for that!!
Profile Image
For some reason the button isn't showing up, working on it. To remove it click on any text in the message that isn't a link.
Profile Image
To remove it click on any text in the message that isn't a link.

Thx!!
Profile Image
I'm already mesmerized by the map... Love, love, LOVE the work you've done!
Profile Image
I love the map too!
Profile Image
I love the map too!

The map is great fun...but I think it has some bugs. I just saw Bascula's release in Pennsylvania ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13684897 ) showing up in the UK on the map. :s
Profile Image
Great job! Thank you for all your work, we appreciate you!
Profile Image
Ok, it's 3AM over here, so I'm going to get some sleep and will check on stability, bugs, comments etc with support team once I'm up and alert again. Have fun!
Profile Image
Visited the store, and added some favourites for future purchases.
Love that I get to see both the $ value as well as local currency.
Makes it so much easier to stick to my budget. ;)

And the map... Ahhh, so mesmerising. You do know that I have work to do, and cannot afford to sit in front of my screen staring at a catch & release map. Tsk-tsk!

Thanks for all the hard work! Can't wait to see what rolls out in days to come.

Question - I noticed that the "Flat - Latest first" view no longer has the original message as header message. Is this deliberate or a bug?
Profile Image
Bought some wings and it all went smoothly. Especially love the feature where you input the name of the person you're buying for as you add the wings to the basket.

Fabulously easy-breezy! :D
Profile Image

ah...

Map - is wery good

BUT site language not work
Profile Image

RE: ah...

site language not work

That is true. Matt will fix this when he gets up. But he needs to get some sleep first.
Profile Image
Nice! Good night! ))

And problem with release.
When I choose a country or a province or a city, it does not change anything. I use GoogleChrome.
Profile Image
When I choose a country or a province or a city, it does not change anything.

Yup, there's another bug there. Thank you for reporting!
Profile Image
Do the wings get automatically applied, or manually?
If it's automatic, it might not be working right now. (Order ID 114)
Profile Image

Should be automatic, but might not yet be working as advertised.
Profile Image

Is it still the same that orders for wings for others are manual?
Profile Image

Is it still the same that orders for wings for others are manual?

It should not be, but right now, it might be.
Profile Image
We hope you'll find everything easier to find this way.

..the quantity of the release bags we might order for $ 6.95 is still missing.

btw: I just tried to send you this via "contact us", this also doesn't work. "Error: Some inputs were NOT valid. Please correct and try again." :O(
Profile Image
..the quantity of the release bags we might order for $ 6.95 is still missing.

Good catch, thank you! It's been added now. We will be working these kinks out over the following days.
Profile Image

Exciting stuff! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. :)
Profile Image

Looking good

Just one thing I frequently buy in the store that I don't see at present (although I can figure out a work-around) is the "buy a month of wings for x number of people at one time" and "buy a year of wings for you plus some for others" features. I know that all of this is still new and exciting and things will be added over time. I just wanted to get my vote in for those packages to be added to the new store once it gets going at full throttle.

Thanks for all of the hard work -- I really missed the BookMap! And I am so excited about a fix on the whole book changing categories once it is registered bug -- that has been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time. And the search function for member-created bookplates is wonderful too!!

Profile Image
I just wanted to get my vote in for those packages to be added to the new store

No worries, they will be back!
Profile Image
The BC ad for custom bookplates which is currently in place of other types of adds for winged members.

While I love seeing them, and don't really mind them while I'm on my laptop, one of the reasons I opt for wings, aside from supporting BC, is to get rid of any type of ads, as they nibble off my data when I'm on my mobile.

This is not a request to remove them, by the way, just my two cents. ;)

In the meantime, the new store got me all stoked up... Haven't bought supplies in aaaaages and have recently discovered that I'm actually all out, so I put in an order for a nice mix of stickers, bookplates, and even release bags! Looking forward to discovering what they're like. :D
Profile Image
The BC ad for custom bookplates which is currently in place of other types of adds for winged members.

I LOVE them. Seeing the creativity of other members who have created such beautiful bookplates pleases and inspires me.
Profile Image

I LOVE them. Seeing the creativity of other members who have created such beautiful bookplates pleases and inspires me.

Actually, I like this too - a good way to find bookplates I haven't seen before.
Profile Image

Actually, I like this too - a good way to find bookplates I haven't seen before.

I do love seeing them, too.
Was just worried about my data there for a second. *grin*
Then again, I'm not really on BC on my mobile all that much, and the pics of the bookplates are probably just kilobytes not megabytes. :)
Profile Image
the pics of the bookplates are probably just kilobytes not megabytes. :)

That's right, they are pretty lightweight, and also there are just a few of them that are shown in rotation, so you'll probably be downloading each of them only once and then seeing them from the cache.
Profile Image
That's right, they are pretty lightweight, and also there are just a few of them that are shown in rotation,

Yes, I was going to ask about that. Of all the bookplates at the Supply Store, there seem to be only a half dozen or so that are featured now. Is that intentional? Or just because it's new? I'd love to see even more of the creative offerings.
Profile Image
I'd love to see even more of the creative offerings.

As far as I know, the idea is to swap them for a different set every once in a while.
Profile Image
This morning (Pacific US morning) I'll be working on:
- Language Setting not sticking (important one :| )
- Selecting City/Province/Country (almost have that one)
- Condensed forum view
- Contact form
- Getting rid of blue spinning wheel on page loads

Also, wings are automatic but I have to set up a job to process them every minute, which I didn't do last night. So far today I've been going along and manually doing them until I get that set up. But within the next few hours they should be processed within 60 seconds of a purchase.
Profile Image
(Hi, Matt!)

If you can change the blue spinning wheel to a spinning book, that'd be kinda cool. {wry grin}
Profile Image
to a spinning book

Great minds think alike, Ardik thought a moving Bally would be good :)
Profile Image
Ardik thought a moving Bally would be good :)

Ooooooo! Bally doing cartwheels across the screen. Cool!
Profile Image
How does that work? I can't see it on a book entry.
Profile Image

RE: The map

How does that work? I can't see it on a book entry.

That's correct. The map is not on the books, the books are on the map :-)
You'll find it under Books & People.
Profile Image
I would like to see a map for the individual book, mapping its journey, as is done for Trackables on Geocaching.
Profile Image
I would like to see a map for the individual book, mapping its journey

That may very well happen. This is not that map, but as stated in the original posting, this is only the first taste.
Profile Image
Before it was possible to print out yourself 10 or 100 pre-numbered BCID's to put in books, could someone tell me where you find those now?

And is there still somewhere a link to the bookshops that "sponsor" bookcrossing?
Profile Image
Before it was possible to print out yourself 10 or 100 pre-numbered BCID's to put in books, could someone tell me where you find those now?

Sure. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/prenumbered
Click the small dark green tab that says 'Request'.

And is there still somewhere a link to the bookshops that "sponsor" bookcrossing?

Not at the moment but it will probably be back.
Profile Image

Sure. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/prenumbered
Click the small dark green tab that says 'Request'.

Not at the moment but it will probably be back.

found the page I was looking for
http://www.bookcrossing.com/labels

no direct link but got there through "how to bookcross"
Profile Image
found the page I was looking for

no direct link but got there through "how to bookcross"

Ah, that one definitely needs to have a link somewhere.
Profile Image
*feelingalittlebitashamedofthatdoublepost*

Oh... in this thread/forum it IS possible. But, not in the German forum (or not on "own" threads).

btw: thank you so very much for removing this awful "blue spinning wheel" *pew*
Profile Image
Thank you, Matt, and all who helped you!
Profile Image
I'm not sure if this is part of those changes, but in case, I thought I should mention that the search function does not seem to be working, at least for books, neither the basic nor the advanced.

Each time it is attempted I get the following message:

Error: There was an error processing your search. Please check your input and try again. (BookSearch: )
[Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
Profile Image
LOVE the map, off to re-order Wings.

Yet I'm having the same problem as lils74 with the 'Search' feature

Appreciate all the work involved. By everyone ! xxx
Profile Image
LOVE the map, off to re-order Wings.

Yet I'm having the same problem as lils74 with the 'Search' feature

Appreciate all the work involved. By everyone ! xxx
Profile Image
Mine worked fine for a while yesterday and then suddenly started giving me Server Runtime Errors. I thought at first the site might be down while bugs get fixed. This morning I checked if it was back up, and to my delight it was. Tried getting in when I turned on my laptop, alas, Chrome refused to cooperate.

Writing this from Opera, and Fire Foxs also gives me no trouble.

Can't tell if it's update related, or just my oldish computer & browser giving me trouble.
Profile Image
NEVERMIND - Boekentrol reported the same Runtime Error problem over in the Bugs forum, just on her mobile, and knew the cause, and Moem helpfully pointed us towards the solution - deleting the bookcrossing language_override cookie. It worked! Thanks!
Profile Image
Thanks to all involved - and good luck with the bug fixes.
Profile Image
Quick update on bug status:
I just posted fixes to the forums including lead thread visible again, edit/delete lead thread, changing forum view, topic list, and a few other pieces of general clean up I can't remember off the top of my head. Also you should be able to switch languages and actually see the translations now, contact form is working, location drop downs are working, and the blue wheel is isolated to the store pages.

Now for what I'm working on next.
- Some issues popping up on Registrations that I'm looking into
- Forum messages failing to save when message is blank
- Release zone adding image issue with Safari at least
- Finish auto processing of wings, right now it will take a few hours for me to get to them each order, by the end of today it should take less than a minute from time of purchase.
- Whatever else the support team sends my way :)

More soon as this batch gets fixed.
Profile Image
Thanks Matt for all of your hard work!! If I could send you a virtual coffee or other (legal) pick-me-up, I would. You've earned it.
Profile Image
Thanks, Matt! You're doing incredible work.
*handing you a big Caf-Pow* :)
Profile Image

LOL!! I've been watching NCIS all afternoon, since I couldn't do much on BookCrossing.
Profile Image
LOL!! I've been watching NCIS all afternoon, since I couldn't do much on BookCrossing.
I could watch them on a loop. :)
Profile Image
We do love you, Matt, even when we complain.

Thanks for all your hard work. I *so* appreciate it. BookCrossing is my favorite thing to do in the world, which is why I appreciate you working so hard to fix it.
Profile Image

Thanks for all your hard work. I *so* appreciate it. BookCrossing is my favorite thing to do in the world, which is why I appreciate you working so hard to fix it.
Ditto what she said! I love, love, love the way the store appears and runs now. The way you order wings for someone, with it not defaulting to your own screenname is perfect! Plus the link to your order recipt is perfect!
Thank you so much for the changes.

solittletime; my husband has been binge watching NCIS since his knee replacement a month ago. I love the show but since he normally watches a few reruns weekly, I think I can recite the dialog for most episodes!
Profile Image
I love the show but since he normally watches a few reruns weekly, I think I can recite the dialog for most episodes!

I know the feeling!!!!! I sometimes think mine watches a few reruns daily!!!!
Profile Image

Ditto what solittletime said. BC may not be my _absolute_ favorite thing, but it's definitely on the list. :D
Profile Image
Latest Updates:
A couple patches have gone out, here is what was in them:
- Search stability. I just tested and was able to search books, my bookshelf, bcid, forums, members.
- Wings processing from store faster
- Forum posts save with no text in the main message
- Register book when skipping search
- Bookmap links correctly to bookshelf of member instead of your own
- Facebook login and account linking back up (note on this one, the linking is back up but still work to do to make posts go to FB account)

Why the bugs:
Some of the bugs are just new features getting ironed out. But there is another crop that stems from the fact that to do the new features we had to update the framework software, which is Microsoft ASP.NET MVC. This hadn't been done since about 2010, and the upgrade allowed for some nice new tools. It also changed some field names and deals a bit differently with some null values which was not expected ran differently on the production environment. We are finishing the "find and fix" portion of the upgrade and expecting each day for it to run more smoothly. THANK YOU ALL for your patience.

Next:
- Finish Facebook integration fix
- Fix Twitter integration
- <sub><sup> in extended profiles
- Finish zone fixes that have come through support
- send message to friend errors showing up and need fixed
- If you have a problem editing your profile, viewing or editing a journal entry, registering or releasing a book that is repeatable let us know, and include specifics especially the book, bcid if applicable, what fields were filled in and what fields were left blank.
- Investigate site slowness during peak times

I'll keep you updated on progress and major bug fixes/pushes.
Profile Image
Matt, thanks for all the time you put into this. :)

Investigate site slowness during peak times
If taking reports from us users, take into account user software & hardware age. I run XP on a laptop that is six or seven years old, with Java no longer updateable for Chrome, and probably the rest of my browsers, because it clashes with XP (or the update is incompatible with XP, or some such explanation). The website works fine, but it does take a while to load each page, especially since the update.
HOWEVER... Yesterday I used my smartphone to access the site, and load time was perfectly normal.
Profile Image
I run XP on a laptop that is six or seven years old, with Java no longer updateable for Chrome, and probably the rest of my browsers, because it clashes with XP

Holy eff, you REALLY should consider Linux Mint instead. Your laptop might very well be a lot happier, and your software would be up to date!
Profile Image
I run XP on a laptop that is six or seven years old, with Java no longer updateable for Chrome, and probably the rest of my browsers, because it clashes with XP

Holy eff, you REALLY should consider Linux Mint instead. Your laptop might very well be a lot happier, and your software would be up to date!
Hehe... Yup, a true Methuselah of a computer. ;)
Unfortunately, I need XP to run my work software. But I am shopping around for a new machine (and, boy, what a headache that is! Soooo many choices, but it seems never just the right combination of components), and once I get that and get the freshest software for work, I can get this poor old baby all spruced up and working properly again. Aside from old software and a short lasting battery, it's otherwise still a perfectly good machine. :)

Edit: Heck, I've even got an old Gericom that still runs. That one must be at least 12-15 years old. Can't connect to the net any more because of obsolete internet protocols, but otherwise it performs fine for everyday things like office programmes and stuff. ;) I like to use my tech until it dies completely. :)
Profile Image
Hehe... Yup, a true Methuselah of a computer. ;)
Well, it's not like mine is any newer.

Unfortunately, I need XP to run my work software.
Oh that's a pain. I'm lucky: all the Windows software I really want to use will run on Linux with a little bit of tweaking (I use an application called Wine and it acts as a compatibility layer between Linux and XP/Win7 software). That's not guaranteed to work, but it often does.

once I get that and get the freshest software for work, I can get this poor old baby all spruced up and working properly again. Aside from old software and a short lasting battery, it's otherwise still a perfectly good machine. :)
Honestly, if you install Linux Mint on it, it's going to feel like a new machine. You're going to love it.
Profile Image
- Wings processing from store faster
Not sure this is working. Bought a pair of wings for someone yesterday, noon, but they haven't yet been activated 24h later. (Order #179)

(Just reporting, don't need the order to be rushed. *grin*)
Profile Image

- Investigate site slowness during peak times

Any update on this? The site is almost unusably slow at the moment.

Thanks for all your hard work!
Profile Image

Mmm

Thanks, Matt!
Profile Image
I cannot find where to print free pre-numbered labels anymore. I am buying labels from the Supply Store too, but I also like to print the pre-nums. I can't find the link. Has it moved?
Profile Image
I cannot find where to print free pre-numbered labels anymore. I am buying labels from the Supply Store too, but I also like to print the pre-nums. I can't find the link. Has it moved?

at least it was there yesterday, and yes, the link is lost
Profile Image

at least it was there yesterday, and yes, the link is lost

I can see the links on that page for 10 or 100 (under "Free Downloadable Label Files").

OR

On your bookshelf:

Choose Pre-Numbered from the drop-down menu (at the bottom, below All Books, Available, Reserved, etc.)

Then just under your name ("solittletime's Pre-Numbered List..."), click on Request, then choose either 10 or 100.

Profile Image

Book Map

Will there be anyway to pre-set a default country or even continent? Always opens to Europe, across the pond from your North American members. (First world problem, I know!)
Profile Image

RE: Book Map

Will there be anyway to pre-set a default country or even continent? Always opens to Europe, across the pond from your North American members.

It seems unlikely, because the map probably defaults to the zero meridian. Which is kind of the norm, internationally. On the other hand, there will be other implementations of the map, which will work differently.
And if you want to see more US activity on the map, well, there is a way to make that happen... ;-)
Profile Image
Will there be anyway to pre-set a default country or even continent? Always opens to Europe, across the pond from your North American members.

And if you want to see more US activity on the map, well, there is a way to make that happen... ;-)

Or, Canadian! (wink)!
Profile Image

Or, Canadian! (wink)!

A very good point, indeed :-D
Profile Image
The internet is vast and there are a lot of pictures to be found, so there will be copyright issues on at least some of the homemade labels. Regarding how we look at these issues, putting the labels prominently on the site make these issues more visible. How will you go about this?
Profile Image
iiwi, that is a great question.
there will be copyright issues on at least some of the homemade labels.

That is true. There are several things at play here:
- The labels displayed on the sidebar are hand-selected, so we can try to avoid the ones with obvious copyright issues.
- The onus is on the user here, because everyone who creates a label ticks a box saying that they have read our privacy statement, and are taking responsibility for the contents of the label.

The privacy statement states that if problems arise, BookCrossing has the right to remove that label. I believe that doing this (removing the label, which means that we stop using the image) will generally be regarded as a good solution by those who hold copyright.
Profile Image
So glad to see someone else cares about this issue. It's why I haven't ordered any homemade labels since the first three I got were just copied from Google image searches.

Thanks for your helpful reply, too, Moem.
Profile Image
Well Done bcsupport team.
I like the book map too although I find that if I click on the link of the person who either caught or released the book it takes me to my profile, not the person who released or caught. Clicking on the book link however does take me to the book. Bound to be bugs here and there but even so I like it a lot 😀
Profile Image
That is SUCH a great idea!
Profile Image
As we write this, the BC Supply Store is closed for renovations! Don't worry, it won't be long. Later this week, we'll be reopening a fully renewed Store, which has an all-new, multilingual interface!

I have to admit I do miss Heather saying thank you for your order!
Profile Image
This is a good idea, big news ! :)
Profile Image

Latest

About a week ago my computer had a meltdown, crashing every 15 minutes or so until finally it was lights out. All was backed up but it took a while to order a new computer and get everything configured. I just got back up tonight and jumped online with Frank to get the Order Processing fully functional. A few things:

- Obviously behind on some of the code I promised, I'll get back to work.
- Thank you Frank for being on the watch while I was out and helping get the Order Processing code ready for the final shipment of new orders from the past few weeks!
- Thank you Moem for being so patient, I know you have been eager to fill the orders.
- We made a server configuration change that should allow for more speed. On observation tonight the server picked up speed after we made the change. We'll keep benchmarking to make sure the speed stays.
- More soon.
Profile Image
It keeps us from being impatient. And thanks for all your very hard work.
Profile Image
Thank you! It's much faster this morning and I see my order is being processed. :)

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.