corner corner Oh, bother! October, 24th, 2015 outage

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Oh, bother! October, 24th, 2015 outage

Today we've experienced some problem with the database server and we needed to contact our server hosting company to get that resolved. Apparently it wasn't an easy fix as it took them a few hours (they typically respond pretty quickly).
And of course it happened in the middle of the night, U.S. time, which probably added some delay.
Currently we don't know the final details of this incident and are further investigating.

We're sorry for this time without BookCrossing that you had to suffer from! ;-)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Today we've experienced some problem with the database server and we needed to contact our server hosting company to get that resolved. Apparently it wasn't an easy fix as it took them a few hours (they typically respond pretty quickly).
And of course it happened in the middle of the night, U.S. time, which probably added some delay.
Currently we don't know the final details of this incident and are further investigating.

Profile Image

Good to see the site back on line, I missed it!
And thanks for all you do for us, Ardik!
Profile Image
Good to see the site back on line, I missed it!And thanks for all you do for us, Ardik!

Hear, hear.
Profile Image
I guess I slept through it, but thanks for the heads-up, and for getting things back on line!
Profile Image
To try accessing the site and get the "Oh, Bother!" message. I knew that you were on the job and I sent you a wish for good karma in solving the problem. Thanks for all of your hard work!
Profile Image
WHOO HOOO! : ) It's 2:30pm AZ time and boy am I happy to see things are looking up here! My "BC withdrawal" began last night when I kept getting an "error" message when trying to access the website to register some more books, long before the "Oh, Bother!" appeared. ; )
Profile Image

Yes, I did suffer, looking at the late release notes I still had to do and the stacks of Halloween, Tick Tock and Ultimate Release Challenge books I still have to register.

So thanks SO much for fixing the problem. You'll never know how much I appreciate you!
Profile Image
Thank you very much for all your work to fix it! It was daytime here but I was thinking about you having to work through the night to get the site working.
Profile Image
I was thinking about you having to work through the night to get the site working.

Ehm... I need to set something right:
In fact this time I was rather unavailable the whole day - but I was able to alert Matt (who, btw, currently is working on some BookCrossing site updates, too) who in turn did contact our server hosting company and they both managed to get the server working properly again.
My involvement was just relaying the alert that I had received (and later putting up the "Oh, Bother!" page)... 0;-)
Profile Image
but I was able to alert Matt

Well done and Thanks to Matt :-)
Profile Image
My involvement was (... cut ...) putting up the "Oh, Bother!" page)... 0;-)

And very useful and reassuring it was too! I'd seen the Error Messages, 2 different versions, many times before it appeared - I was beginning to despair .... especially as I initially missed the 'today' in your message, as in the site might not be back up today, and briefly thought you were warning us that the site might never return .... disaster ... nightmare .... :-)
Profile Image
Glad to see it's back. I got run time errors at first, then later finally got the "oh bother" message, so I knew - adjust my "planned" (in my mind) releases to Tuesday. And just pile up the "when the site gets back up I need to do xxx" books.

Thank you!
Profile Image

re

I love this team !
Profile Image

RE: re

I love this team !

You do? That's nice, but why? After all you just joined.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.