corner corner Where will our Convention be in 2017?

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Where will our Convention be in 2017?

Yes, it's that time of year again... it's getting close to my birthday! And like every year about this time, we start putting the feelers out for the International Anniversary Convention host city 2 years from now.
That's right... As the 2016 BookCrossing Convention is in the planning for Greece, the April 2017 location has yet to be identified.

Do you feel up to the challenge of hosting an international BookCrossing Convention in YOUR city? Can you find a group of members to organise one? And can you think of reasons why we should all come and visit your city in 2017? Then please send us a bid.

Bids for the 2017 Convention will be presented at the 2015 Anniversary Convention in Oxford next month, though you need not actually be present to throw your hat in the ring. Someone still to be determined will pitch your city on your behalf, or share your persuasive video tape and script with the attendees. So consider hosting the Anniversary Convention in 2017 and send us your bid (slideshows, videos, text, etc.) through our contact form no later than April 7, 2015, so we can present your bid to the group.

Please don't send us messages that go like 'You should organise your Convention in our city because of [reasons]'. Our Conventions are member-organised; if you want the circus to come to your town, you'll have to build the tent! There's a lot of work involved, but there's also plenty of experience available from those that went before you, and there's oh so much fun to be had.

So if you think you can do it, that's great! Please let us know before April 7.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Yes, it's that time of year again... it's getting close to my birthday! And like every year about this time, we start putting the feelers out for the International Anniversary Convention host city 2 years from now.
That's right... As the 2016 BookCrossing Convention is in the planning for Greece, the April 2017 location has yet to be identified.

Do you feel up to the challenge of hosting an international BookCrossing Convention in YOUR city? Can you find a group of members to organise one? And can you think of reasons why we should all come and visit your city in 2017? Then please send us a bid.

Bids for the 2017 Convention will be presented at the 2015 Anniversary Convention in Oxford next month, though you need not actually be present to throw your hat in the ring. Someone still to be determined will pitch your city on your behalf, or share your persuasive video tape and script with the attendees. So consider hosting the Anniversary Convention in 2017 and send us your bid (slideshows, videos, text, etc.) through our contact form no later than April 7, 2015, so we can present your bid to the group.

Please don't send us messages that go like 'You should organise your Convention in our city because of [reasons]'. Our Conventions are member-organised; if you want the circus to come to your town, you'll have to build the tent! There's a lot of work involved, but there's also plenty of experience available from those that went before you, and there's oh so much fun to be had.

So if you think you can do it, that's great! Please let us know before April 7.
Profile Image
Are putting in a bid at the OXFORD Convention
Profile Image
That 's wonderful news, hope there are some more bids!
Profile Image
Excellent. Another place I've always wanted to visit.
Profile Image

Me too!
Profile Image

Me too!

Me three
Profile Image
me four :D
Profile Image
Me too ! Thanks
Profile Image
Me five so.... haha
Profile Image
Yay, this is brilliant, I was hoping for it... still remembering a lovely lunch in Gothenburg (where the thought of it was discussed) ...
Profile Image
Yay, this is brilliant, I was hoping for it... still remembering a lovely lunch in Gothenburg (where the thought of it was discussed) ...
I returned to Gothenburg last year, to show it to my son, because I enjoyed the convention there so much.

It was delightful that so many Norwegians attended, and I'm now even more delighted that I'll very likely go to Norway - finally - in 2017.

One of the strengths of BookCrossing is the way in which people from different nations and cultures interact. Sometimes tangentially through a book left in one place being caught by someone - a tourist, say - from another place.

Then there's the fact that it's a crazy American idea which has found ready participants around the globe. In the beginning, it was very much an American thing, but now keen BookCrossers may be found anywhere that there is internet.

The forums provide another place where intertwangling can take place, and of course there are the various conventions. Each Anniversary Convention, I've found that I've had the opportunity to meet new BookCrossers, and at every one I've managed to find someone I totally adore. Often whoever has had the greatness of heart to actually stand up and do the work. Or someone I just happened to be seated beside at dinner and found them delightful.

It's curious that the Europeans have ended up as the most enthusiastic BookCrossers. There would seem to be many obstacles: each nation has its own language and culture, and when we're talking about an activity that involves swapping books, you've got to wonder just how much relevance does a German-language book have to someone in (say) Spain or Sweden?

But there it is. The Euro folk are sitting around the campfire singing their songs enthusiastically, while the rest of the world hums along.

However, each corner of the world has different attitudes to travel. The apparent insularity of the Americans has already been remarked upon. Europeans travel a lot, but that's mostly within Europe.

In Australia and New Zealand, we'll generally see more Europeans than Americans attending our conventions, even though we're further away. It's only a short hop across the Pacific - twelve hours or so - but getting here from Europe is a day's travel, no matter how you cut it.

And, of course, there's always a bunch of Aussies and New Zealanders attending conventions, regardless of location. I get around a bit, but I'm in awe of the ability of New Zealand folk to make the world their home.

How that relates to the 2017 convention, I'm not sure. Any European convention is certain to have a good attendance, but there's also the need to have a strong local contingent.

This end of the world, we've got hard core groups in a few cities, but by no means all. Americans seem to have Washington DC and New York, and a hardy bunch in Kansas City. I'd love to go back to Kansas City, but I think they are still paying off the 2009 Uncon.

Just quietly, America, but you don't need to hire a grand hotel ballroom for three days. Nobody else does. A school hall for a weekend, a library meeting room, a church camp, there's always places. Nor does it have to be in the centre of town - take the Metro in for a release walk.

Realistically, it takes a team of half a dozen or so to organise an Anniversary Convention. People who know and trust and like each other, because for a year or so they are going to be spending a lot of time together.

Not that this is going to be a chore, but the big problem is juggling work, family and other commitments. And taking on a lot of responsibility, because there are going to be a hundred or more people making their plans and spending a fair amount of money well in advance, and those people become the focus of attention for months, because they can't be let down.

I don't know who will stick their hands up for 2017. Whoever it is, they are likely thinking about it right now, because they will be wanting to go to Athens and Oslo to see how things happen there.

And whoever it is, you aren't alone. There will be help and advice from all over, and usually there's a bit of money left over from the previous Convention to help kick things off for the next.
Profile Image
Are putting in a bid at the OXFORD Convention

Oh, Oslo would be great!
Profile Image
I'm absolutely delighted.
Profile Image
Brilliant!
Profile Image
I'm absolutely delighted.

Me too!
Profile Image
The BC fun will continue.
Profile Image
The dates for the Convention in Oslo, Norway in 2017 is 21 to 23 April.
Profile Image
Were there any other contenders this time round?
Profile Image

No, this was the only one. If the U.S. want it, they'll have to bid.
Profile Image

No, this was the only one. If the U.S. want it, they'll have to bid.

I wonder if this is a reflection of the conventions being in Europe making it more difficult for Americans to attend. But then, I believe pitches can be delivered by proxy if the actual bid reps can't attend in person.

ETA - Still, it's good that at least someone is prepared to put the work in to host the event.
Profile Image

Not really

I wonder if this is a reflection of the conventions being in Europe making it more difficult for Americans to attend. But then, I believe pitches can be delivered by proxy if the actual bid reps can't attend in person.

Exactly. So no, that can't be it. If Europeans can manage to make bids during Conventions that take place in the US and Australia, surely US Americans can do the same during Conventions that take place outside the US too.
Looks like there are no US teams that want to host a Convention at the moment. Maybe later... we can only hope.
Profile Image

Exactly. So no, that can't be it. If Europeans can manage to make bids during Conventions that take place in the US and Australia, surely US Americans can do the same during Conventions that take place outside the US too.

To be fair, many Americans have little or no entitlement to paid leave, and many of those that do have a much smaller entitlement than people in other developed countries have, so would find it difficult to travel abroad. And of course very many simply don't have passports. That wouldn't stop them bidding by proxy though.
Profile Image
To be fair, many Americans have little or no entitlement to paid leave, and many of those that do have a much smaller entitlement than people in other developed countries have, so would find it difficult to travel abroad. And of course very many simply don't have passports. That wouldn't stop them bidding by proxy though.

Yup. So I'm not sure how it's relevant here.

What does seem relevant to me is that US Americans as a whole don't seem all that active in BookCrossing anymore.Just look at Go Hunting and it's easy to see.
Profile Image
What does seem relevant to me is that US Americans as a whole don't seem all that active in BookCrossing anymore.Just look at Go Hunting and it's easy to see.

Yes, I've noticed that. Perhaps there just isn't much interest in holding the Convention in the US at present.
Profile Image
U.S. is a big country, so even when the convention is held within the country, it's still not cheap or easy to travel around. Europe's population is much more concentrated, so there are a lot more people who can attend the convention.

I live in the "corner" of the country so I am may not be representative of the situation, but it takes me 10 hours to drive out of Florida, so anywhere else I will have to fly. It'll take me 3 hrs to fly to New York and about US$300, to San Francisco, $500. Plus hotel. If I drive to New York it takes over 20 hours non stop. So traveling around within U.S. is expensive and time-consuming. And I think that partly explains the lower participation. Not to mention that the majority of U.S. cities do not have even a decent public transportation, which adds to the cost and inconvenience when hosting a convention.
Profile Image
It'll take me 3 hrs to fly to New York and about US$300,

You flying to New York is cheaper than me taking the train to Oxford and takes less than half the travel time. Actually, I could have flown to New York in the time it took me to reach St Hilda's. Plus, I'm amazed at how many Australians made it to Oxford, not to mention the wonderful couple from Brazil. They are pretty remote - a 7 hour drive to Rio de Janerio - but they weren't up for organising a convention :-)

I've only worked as a temp for the last 18 months which means I don't get paid if I'm not at work which really hit me hard last year when I was in hospital. And of course I won't be getting any wages on Friday because I was in Oxford last week. But I now enjoy my annual holiday planned around the convention location, especially as I never travelled much before doing this. For me, it takes a lot of saving and planning and it's not certain I'll actually make it to Athens next year, but I paid my deposit and I have every intention of trying my hardest to get there. BTW, if there is a US contingent wanting to plan a convention, I've never been to America.
Profile Image
not to mention the wonderful couple from Brazil. They are pretty remote - a 7 hour drive to Rio de Janerio - but they weren't up for organising a convention :-)

I would totally go there!
Profile Image
I hear you, Azuki. I really admire/envy the wonderful train/transit system of Europe (which Canada and the USA are lacking - some cities are downright anti-transit and our wonderful Cdn gov't has basically shut down our train system!). I am also very envious of how many Europeans can travel just a few hours and be in a completely different culture with a different language, etc. I have been to Switzerland - WOW - Germany, Italy, France…so close! - and taken the Chunnel to Paris from London. My UK friend sometimes goes to Paris FOR THE DAY.
The convention was held in Toronto (2006) & I was thinking how much fun it would be in Montreal or Quebec City.
Profile Image
The convention was held in Toronto (2006) & I was thinking how much fun it would be in Montreal or Quebec City.

Hear, hear! Would love to visit Canada and a Convention there would make it very alluring! Of course that can only happen if there are bookcrossers there who can put in the time and effort. I live in hope :-)
Profile Image
I hear you, Azuki. I really admire/envy the wonderful train/transit system of Europe (which Canada and the USA are lacking - some cities are downright anti-transit and our wonderful Cdn gov't has basically shut down our train system!). I am also very envious of how many Europeans can travel just a few hours and be in a completely different culture with a different language, etc. I have been to Switzerland - WOW - Germany, Italy, France…so close! - and taken the Chunnel to Paris from London. My UK friend sometimes goes to Paris FOR THE DAY.

So that would be so lovely... and I totally won't have trouble persuading my hubby to come along.
Yeah, keep dreaming...
Profile Image
U.S. is a big country, so even when the convention is held within the country, it's still not cheap or easy to travel around. Europe's population is much more concentrated, so there are a lot more people who can attend the convention.

I am a New Zealander who was at the Convention in Washington DC and I was surprised how many locals didn't attend. By locals I mean the ones who live in the city and the surrounding area.
The bottom line really is that bookcrossing is more active in Europe.
Profile Image
Bookcrossing Activity: I agree, UK and Europe BSX'ers seem more active than North American BX'ers. In 2012 I posted a message on German & French forums, as Donfiction and I were about to travel to Zug, Switzerland, & we put feelers for a Canuck/Swiss meetup. WOW….within a day or two, my posting had dropped down 20 - 30 spaces! Such active forums! (We ended up having a very lively meetup with two BX'ers - one Swiss-German, one French-Swiss, and they each took a train trip to Zug just to meet us!) I also turn green as I read about the meetups held in Birmingham, trips to Hay-on-Wye, UK, etc., via Facebook. In the Toronto area, (where I am) I wish more Toronto BX'ers would come out to meetups/visit our OBCZ at Harbord House Pub…on paper there are over 5,000 registered Toronto BX'ers…but most have a lot of 0's on their profiles. That said, we have a small but very loyal meetup group (with two new members as of 2014, plus another who has "returned" to meetups).
Profile Image
It takes 24 hours to fly to the UK from Sydney, Australia (plus extra to get to Sydney for those of us who don't live there), and several Australians attended the convention. (And one NZer too I think, and they need to travel further.) The most expensive airfares are those out of Australia; after that they get cheaper. Last year I went to the USA and you have really CHEAP airfares. Like your petrol/gas, CHEAP. The USA dollar is also stronger than the Australian dollar, meaning your money goes further; plus the average USA wage is bigger. So, why don't more Americans travel, compared to others who have to travel further, pay more for airfares, and who, on average, are likely to earn less than Americans? Also Europe is a lot closer to the USA (even for those in California) than for Australians.
Not all Americans are hampered by only two weeks leave. I read here that some Americans get more leave a year than that; plus what about those retired; they are not hampered by two weeks leave. I am retired.

I vote for Hawaii to hold a future convention. A lovely place, but also for selfish reasons, as it's only (from memory) a short flight from Sydney of about seven hours.
Profile Image
vote for Hawaii to hold a future convention. A lovely place, but also for selfish reasons, as it's only (from memory) a short flight from Sydney of about seven hours.

Yes! Do we have anybody there? :-)
Profile Image
Yes! Do we have anybody there? :-)

Several lovely BCers. I went to lunch with them last year.
Profile Image
I vote for Hawaii to hold a future convention. A lovely place, but also for selfish reasons, as it's only (from memory) a short flight from Sydney of about seven hours.

I've also met several Hawaiian Bookcrossers and they were delightful. But there's no point voting for Hawaii if Hawaiian Bookcrossers don't want to or can't hold a convention. Perhaps it would be polite to ask *them* first?
Profile Image
there's no point voting for Hawaii if Hawaiian Bookcrossers don't want to or can't hold a convention

I wasn't actually voting...it was just a personal thought. I didn't think my comments would be taken so seriously.
Profile Image
By the way, thank you for the dates Oslo. Pencilled into my diary. X
Profile Image
I hope I will be able to attend...
Profile Image
I hope I will be able to attend...

I've pencilled the dates in hubby's and my agenda's :-) I'm looking forward to going there for the people, the books and the country. Hubby loves Norway too, so we're thinking about making it a small vacation, even though it's still off-season then.
We just take warm clothes with us :-)
Profile Image
I have though often about hosting a convention in either Memphis, TN or Nashville, TN since I live between both of them. I am very active in my own area and there are a couple of semi active BC'ers in the Nashville area and a small group in Memphis but getting a dedicated group together of about 6-8 is harder than it seems. I have gone as far as checking transportation, sights to see and meeting space and have a file together in case something meshes and it becomes a go.
I would be delighted to attend one in Canada, loved the one in DC, have my passport ready to go and would be willing to help another group around me somewhere to get one going since retirement has it's perks.
Profile Image
getting a dedicated group together of about 6-8 is harder than it seems

I would say you could manage with 3 really dedicated people, plus a handful of helpers that you can call on as needed. It helps if you plan the convention the more relaxed NZ/Australian way (which has also become the European way) that Skyring alluded to, forgoing the hotel for a church hall or similar venue (for the Christchurch convention, we found a school that let us "hire" their hall for the weekend in return for a donation of books to their library).

The Queenstown uncon was the easiest I've ever been involved in organising. We didn't even have an official venue or goody bags - all we did was book a few restaurants for group meals and arrange a release walk. Everything else was just individual bookcrossers saying "I'm going to do [tourist thing] tomorrow, who wants to join me?" And most importantly, everything was pay your own way, so we didn't have to worry about collecting payment from anyone.

Of course, a world convention takes a wee bit more organisation than that :-) But it doesn't have to be a huge production. Find a venue and a speaker or two, hit up some local businesses for goodies to go in the goody bags, arrange a release walk, maybe a group excursion to somewhere, and book some restaurants for meals. Check out hotels and hostels so you can advise your visitors which are closest to your venue and seem clean etc, but don't get caught up in making bookings - let them do it themselves. We're all big kids and quite capable of making our own bookings :-)
Profile Image
I have though often about hosting a convention in either Memphis, TN or Nashville, TN since I live between both of them.

Yes, please. I'm signing up now. Either one will do. : )

As long as I can get there by train.
Profile Image
I have though often about hosting a convention in either Memphis, TN or Nashville, TN since I live between both of them.

Memphis, please. I want to see those ducks again.
Profile Image

That would be so lovely! Sign me up too!! I miss my BC convention so much!
Profile Image
I'd be there. I love America. 😀

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.