corner corner The Return of the Release Bags... they're here!

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Here's a question to the folks who've recently bought release bags: I heard somebody say they weren't entirely satisfied with the material of the new releasebags.
Apparently, the foil was thinner than in previous issues, and if you used the bags to hang books (e.g. for tree releases), the euro holes (cf. http://hangtab.net/---/page4_eurohole%28ENG%29_14.gif ) would tear more easily than the round holes in the old bags used to do; so, the bags would now only be good for non-hanging releases or very light paperbacks. Can any of you confirm this?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Here is the news that many of you have been waiting for: our Release Bags have returned to the Supply Store. A whole pallet of them, most of them in English but also some in German, has been shipped to Zevenaar, the Netherlands, home of the BookCrossing Supply Store. The boxes are stacked up so high they almost reach the ceiling!

The bags have a fresh, new design that gives a good clear explanation to the finder of your book, and they are slightly larger than our small size used to be. Click on over to the Store to see them: http://secure.bookcrossing.com/prodtype.asp?...
To celebrate their arrival, the new bags are currently on offer for a special (re-)introduction price, which will be valid until October 12. Don't miss out!
After that date, a pack of 25 bags will be added to the current, larger quantities.

Also, to give more of you a chance to try them out, ALL Supply Store orders (except those that contain release bags) will come with a free sample bag until the end of October.
Profile Image
to be on those bags, both, the german and the english!
And it is great that they have a hole for hanging them up.
Thank you very much :-)
Profile Image
to be on those bags, both, the german and the english!
And it is great that they have a hole for hanging them up.
Thank you very much :-)
Thank you!
Yes, we've put quite some effort into the final layout.
And we made *very* sure those bags had not only a hole but that special large hole! :-)
Profile Image
Hooray! And thanks for the larger size - that will be really useful for the taller/thicker books!
Profile Image
Have just purchased them - thanks for the discount too!
Profile Image
(Bought some on Sunday - well, it was Sunday where I am!)
Profile Image
They look great, and will soon be appearing in my release photos {grin}. Thanks to the Supply Store folk!
Profile Image
Me too! And they are great!!! Thank you very much, an inspiration to keep up my reading so I can release as many as possible even in bad weather :)

Thanks to everyone who has been involved to bring back the Bags!
Profile Image
Here's a question to the folks who've recently bought release bags: I heard somebody say they weren't entirely satisfied with the material of the new releasebags.
Apparently, the foil was thinner than in previous issues, and if you used the bags to hang books (e.g. for tree releases), the euro holes (cf. http://hangtab.net/---/page4_eurohole%28ENG%29_14.gif ) would tear more easily than the round holes in the old bags used to do; so, the bags would now only be good for non-hanging releases or very light paperbacks. Can any of you confirm this?
Profile Image

RE: Quality?

I have one of the old bags here and while it does feel slightly thicker, it does not have a hole. Personally, I would make a small hole in the bag just beneath the 'zipper' whenever I wanted to hang a book; the closing strip of the bag is the strongest part.

I like the idea of using less plastic for the same number of books. So the bags being thinner is fine with me.
Profile Image
Hmmm... I still have old bags left, as as Moem said, they do not have any hole for hanging. You had to puncture the old style yourself to hang it on a tree or fence post etc.

Does the new one have a premade keyhole? I would think that would work better, as long as you didn't split it putting it on a big branch or post. (In which case, a bit of string or ribbon through it, to make it like a giant holiday ornament should help out.)
Profile Image
I still have old bags left, as as Moem said, they do not have any hole for hanging.

Sorry, my bad: Apparently, this was in reference to the homebrew German release bags (http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/457688/ ), which had a circular hole.
Thank you both so much for checking though, and I agree with the "strongest" place for hanging being under the zipper (although I see the problem that this may permit moisture to enter the bag). Where there is light, there is shadow I guess. :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.