corner corner The Return of the Release Bags - multilanguage even

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Yes!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
[Edited to reflect a few months of additional delay. :-/ ]

Finally.

In June or July 2014 - it depends on when we actually receive them - Release Bags will be available in the BookCrossing Store again!

We will offer one size only, for the time being: 21 x 26 cm (~ 8.5 x 10.5" ).

A preview of the new layout will be AVL shortly.

== Multilanguage

We'll start with English and German bags.

We are preparing to offer the bags also in a few more languages but haven't yet decided which languages that will be. It's a bit difficult: We have to order a pretty significant number of each language to get a halfway reasonable price. But we cannot just go by level of activity in your country or even by the number of wild releases. We think it's safe to assume that in warm and dry countries the need for plastic bags for outdoor releases is much lower then e.g. in northern countries like Finland (yes, Finish probably is a strong candidate for your own release bags - or maybe a Scandinavian edition with several languages on one bag.).

If you can manage to organize a group order of at least three to five thousand bags in your language that would help getting your language into the store! More on this below.

== Pricing

Currently I can't give you final numbers (they are just not yet finally decided upon).
I *think* it will be around or even slightly lower then their price had been years ago (some 20 $-cent per bag, if I remember correctly). We still have to figure out how to deal with the shipping costs since those bags are pretty heavy and bulky in shipment. Probably part of these costs will go into their retail price. Of course volume discounts will apply, as usual.

== Pre-Order / Group-Order

We are considering offering a significant discount for large orders (say: minimum 500 or even 1000 bags) that are placed and paid well in advance. The price might get as low as 12 $-cent per bag (plus actual shipping costs). The idea is that some BookCrosser in a region places the order and then distributes the bags to others either by mail or even personally (e.g. at meetings).
We are not sure it really makes sense for the English (and German?) bags (now waiting for your feedback ;-> ), but it may be very interesting for the "small" languages. As indicated above it might help bring your language into the store if you can arrange group orders of a significant volume.

We'll decide upon and provide more details after we've done some more research - and after we've seen some of your feedback.
Profile Image

YAY!!!

Thank you.
Profile Image

Hurray!

Let's hope the gods of speedy printing and delivery are in our favour. :-)
Profile Image
Hi Moem,
Any chance of getting any Dutch bags? I'd be happy to pre-order a 100 bags or so.
Profile Image
Hi Moem,
Any chance of getting any Dutch bags? I'd be happy to pre-order a 100 bags or so.
To have a batch of bags printed for a reasonable price we'd have to order some ten to twenty *thousand* bags with the same layout - at least ... :-/
Profile Image

Yippee!

We think it's safe to assume that in warm and dry countries the need for plastic bags for outdoor releases is much lower then e.g. in northern countries like Finland (yes, Finish probably is a strong candidate for your own release bags - or maybe a Scandinavian edition with several languages on one bag.).

This is what I've been dreaming of - never thought it would come true, though. Release bags in Finnish, or in Finnish and Swedish (practically all Scandinavians - which Finns really aren't - do understand Swedish, I think) would be a dream come true. Yesh! Can't wait for the day...
Profile Image

RE: Yippee!

practically all Scandinavians - which Finns really aren't
Mmmmmaybe we should put Estonian - and possibly even Hungarian - on these bags, too ... ;-)
Profile Image

Yes!

Profile Image

Dance of Joy

And, btw, if no one has said this in a while:

3 cheers for Ardik!
Profile Image
And, btw, if no one has said this in a while:

3 cheers for Ardik!

Ditto
Profile Image
3 cheers for Ardik!

At least 3. But really lots more!!
Profile Image
I love the bags :) I hope to see a return of many of the items the store use to have.
Profile Image
Well, I'm afraid most of them did not sell well enough for us to start stocking them again. But for some of them, we are working on ways to offer them.
Profile Image
Good news!
I will report to the spanish group and keep you informed :D
Profile Image

This was the one thing I was really missing from the supply store
Profile Image
I'm in Winnipeg in the middle of Canada so the climate reasons for release bags are obvious but even more I like them because they really help give the books visibility. My catch rate is over 20% and I attribute that to using release bags a great deal.
Profile Image
Fantastic! I'm sure these help releases to be seen and they are certainly needed for the inclement and unpredictable British climate.

Is there somewhere in England from where they can be ordered, please?
Profile Image
Is there somewhere in England from where they can be ordered, please?

You can just order them from the Supply Store once they arrive. There isn't a separate Store for every country, but there is a European branch now, and whatever you order there will be sent to you from within the EU.
Profile Image
Thanks for all your hard work. The bags were very popular at the Leeds Convention. I tend to use cheap food bags for my children's book tree and the real bags for adult books (who need a bit more tempting that it's not a con or religious matter).
Profile Image
I have been missing those for the geocaching releases that I've been doing! :)
Profile Image
Looking forward to those, as bad weather knocks at the door. :)
Profile Image
Thank you AGAIN for all your hard work. ("You" meaning the whole support team, of course.)
Profile Image
Finally. In January or February 2014 - it depends on when we actually receive them - Release Bags will be available in the BookCrossing Store again!

Not yet...
Profile Image
I just ordered some World Book Night and some International BookCrossing Day bookplates from the Supply Store, but didn't see any release bags yet.
Profile Image
The bags will not arrive before June.

The seriously embarrassing part is that this is mostly caused by some mis-communication on my end which I happened to realize just recently.

I'm very sorry and sincerely apologize for this additional delay. Of course we wanted to have them available well before the Convention and before BookCrossing Day.

I'll post an update as soon as I know more details, which might happen in a week or two.
Profile Image
Thanks for the update...i will endeavor to be patient ;)
Profile Image
I love these bags, especially for outdoor releasing in such a rainy climate as Manchester, Uk!
Profile Image
Thank you! I've missed them and will definitely order a lot! Even on sunny days I use some kind of plastic bag 'cause here in Norway you never know when the weather will change and we release books in any kind of weather all year around.
If you decide on a scandinavian edition I would be even happier.
Profile Image
...where cann i Buy some of those Releasbags?

Becaus i would Travel ti Edingbourgh this September!

Greetings from Berlin Germany!
Profile Image
...where cann i Buy some of those Releasbags?

Becaus i would Travel ti Edingbourgh this September!

Greetings from Berlin Germany!

See above from Ardik:

Profile Image

And once they arrive, you can buy them in the Store.
http://secure.bookcrossing.com/
Profile Image
Hurra!
I have only one bag left after creating a Booktree in the forest on the international BC day!
I was looking for information about how to Get some more BC plastic Bags with zip on. It's great to read they will comeback in the store. I love to do wild release and the Bags are so usefull! Glad to learn the new Bags will be back early in summer! I do hope the europeian store will have them as well..? Please tell us as soon as we can order them! Thank you very much!
Profile Image
I do hope the europeian store will have them as well..?

Yes, because there is only one Store. The European branch never had, and never will have, a separate Store.
Everything the Store sells is available to all members, all over the world.
Profile Image
I have an order to place with the store and just noticed this post. I'm going to wait until the bags arrive in the store to place the order. Can't wait!!
Profile Image
You didn't sell out while I was on vacation and AFK, did you? ;)
Profile Image
We received word from the vendor:

The bags are currently cruising the seven seas and are expected to arrive in early September. That would mean we'll have them ready in the store probably in the 2nd week of September.
Profile Image

Yay!!!!

Profile Image
Good to know they're at least getting closer!
Profile Image
Great news! I got a couple of Bags as a RABCK from another member and used two in the rainy outdoor releases I made today. So I'm quite "needy" just now, autumn coming up and all, it will be very fine to get more BC bags to use in this season. Thank you for all the work you do to support us in this wonderfull hobby or lifestyle!
Profile Image

This weekend!

You'll start seeing them in the store this weekend.

We'll start with a few options to order big amounts for a significantly lower price and we will add the regular amounts / prices a bit later.

Expect the final price to be roughly around 20ct (US-$) per bag.
Profile Image
Thank you for the update!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.