corner corner Share your City by hosting the annual 2015 Convention!  (Edited to add bids for 2015 are closed)

Forum | << BookCrossing Site Announcements | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
We had the 2006 convention in Toronto. Vancouver or Montreal, or Halifax would be great venues too for a future Convention....

Get a group together for one of those places, and have them present a bid. I agree any one of them would be grand, but would need a team of local members to make it all happen.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Yes, it's that time of year again. Happy 14th Birthday, Bally! And like every year about this time, we start putting the feelers out for the Convention Getaway host city 2 years from now. That's right. As the 2014 BookCrossing Convention is in the planning for Down Under, the April 2015 location has yet to be identified. 

Bids for the 2015 Convention will be presented at the 'Sweden' 14th-year Anniversary Convention later this month, though you need not actually be present to throw your hat in the ring. Someone still to be determined will pitch your city on your behalf, or share your persuasive video tape and script with the attendees. Consider hosting the Anniversary Convention in 2015 and send us your bid (slideshows, videos, text, etc.) through our contact form no later than April 17, 2013, so we can present your bid to the group. 
Profile Image
Who will it be? Who will it be?
Profile Image

Oh dear

I do hope someone is going to step up!
Profile Image
The UK are stepping up!! We are putting in a bid for Oxford to host the 2015 World Convention. Who wants to come?
Profile Image
Wouldn't miss it for the world! :)
Profile Image
Who wants to come?

Hell yhea!!
Profile Image
The UK are stepping up!! We are putting in a bid for Oxford to host the 2015 World Convention. Who wants to come?

That would be totally brilliant!!! It's not still April the 1st, is it? I'm a bit suspicious of things that are Too Good To Be True .... :-)
Profile Image

Wonderful! We look forward to hearing you pitch it.
Profile Image

RE: OXFORD!!!!!

Hurray! Now let's see if there will be any other bids. I have to say, Oxford does sound rather attractive...
Profile Image

Brilliant!
Profile Image
very exciting. I was getting worried that there was going to be no convention for 2015.
Profile Image
Mark me down!

Then again, I'd go just about anywhere, so long as I have the money. Having it in Melbourne next year is like a free pass.

Profile Image

Excellent!
May be it works for me!
Profile Image
Fantastic!
Would love to come!
Profile Image

Fantastic! MissMarkey, you are wonderful!!
Profile Image

Fantastic! MissMarkey, you are wonderful!!

a big hug for you ;-))

Profile Image

Terrific!
Profile Image

Heck, yeah!!! :D

I think 2015 will be the year I finally make it to one of the Cons & UnCons!
And plenty of time to save up for it, too. :)
Profile Image
Profile Image

fantastic!

:-)
Profile Image

I'll come!!
Profile Image

Brilliant!
Excellent!
Genius!
Cool!
Exciting!

Profile Image

As you so kindly volunteered the BCUK Uncon committee to organise Oxford 2015, I guess I'll be there! :-)
Profile Image
Hands Up! Guilty as charged! Public apologies to the UK Committee to whom I gave only several hours notice of my idea to put in a bid for the 2015 World Convention. They have just discovered what a loose canon I can be!!
I could blame a certain New Zealand bookcrosser who is staying with me at the moment for firing me up but as I could have said No then I won't ;)
I think I'm going to get intimately familiar with Oxford over the next 2 years. Bring it on!!!
Profile Image
Now...anyone else to turn this into a competition. Sometimes only one city is nominated, but sometimes more than one country wants to host a convention so step right up.
Profile Image

YES! I will totally come. Close by, so I will actually be able to afford it!

ETA: I won't mind helping out with the Convention in any capacity you may require :-).
Profile Image
Thank you pinkoeria. You're on!!
Profile Image
... so far has mentioned a little trivia regarding Oxford and BookCrossing:

Since almost 10 years , with their 2004 edition, the Concise Oxford English Dictionary - *the* authority when it comes to English dictionaries - has included the term "bookcrossing"!
Profile Image

I, for one!

It's been far too long since I've been in England.
Profile Image
The UK are stepping up!! We are putting in a bid for Oxford to host the 2015 World Convention.

Very promising. There's more than enough in and around Oxford to keep people busy for a week if they want to extend their trip either side of the convention.

Profile Image
It will be my pleasure to give back to the International BC Community after all the great welcomes that I have had at conventions abroad :)
Also, my bank balance will be flat after Australia 2014 so I'll only be able to go as far as Oxford in 2015!! (13 miles)!
Profile Image
It will be my pleasure to give back to the International BC Community after all the great welcomes that I have had at conventions abroad :)
Also, my bank balance will be flat after Australia 2014 so I'll only be able to go as far as Oxford in 2015!! (13 miles)!
LOL! You give enough, just by attending and being totally awesome.

Looking forward to seeing you again next year. Next year!!! In Melbourne!!!!

Profile Image
I'll be seeing you next week - in Gothenburg ;)
Profile Image
Brilliant!
Excellent!
Wonderfull!!
Exciting!

If I have Time to come (School out!for ???Holiday) Yes I will!!!
Profile Image
Amazing!

If time (=work) permits I'll be there. :) OXFORD!!
Profile Image
That would be so lovely!
Profile Image

Oxford

would be amazing, I'd definitely have to get to that. Dunno if the committee have thought about venues but I studied at Ruskin College and I think bookcrossing would be their sort of thing - they're based entirely at the Headington campus now, though, which would be the only downside.

(not volunteering to be involved as I live several hundred miles away in Scotland, but it's such an amazing city)
Profile Image
Thank you pam99. When we get the bid I shall be exploring the colleges amongst other buildings as the site for the venue. Hoping for central Oxford really but that may prove pricey. Thanks for the tip though.
Profile Image
[Spam removed by BC Support]
Profile Image
Support, feel free to remove my post once you get rid of the spam :)
Profile Image
Was there a decision?
Profile Image
Well, it was the only bid, and it got nothing but cheers at the Convention, so I figure they're in!
Profile Image
Since everyone kept saying "See you in Oxford!" (as well as "See you in Melbourne!", "See you in Leeds", etc.), I'd say it's a strong bet we're heading there in 2015 :D
Profile Image
Thank you, Moem and pippis - that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Great!
Profile Image
It will be really cool to go back, and relive some of my student days :)
Profile Image

UM.....

Not sure after reading all of the above....IS it Oxford in 2015?
Profile Image

Yes it is Oxford in 2015
Profile Image

Yes it is Oxford in 2015

And Melbourne in 2014
Profile Image
YAAAaaaaaaY! Starting Canadian Goodie Bag right now....
Profile Image

RE: UM.....

Yes! You can see it listed on the Conventions page: http://www.bookcrossing.com/convention
Profile Image

I've got a big back yard.....

:)
Profile Image

RE: 2016

oh, Canada would be nice :-)

Profile Image
We had the 2006 convention in Toronto. Vancouver or Montreal, or Halifax would be great venues too for a future Convention....
Profile Image

I think so too :-)

Profile Image

Get a group together for one of those places, and have them present a bid. I agree any one of them would be grand, but would need a team of local members to make it all happen.
Profile Image
I wish I could visit Toronto each day for bookcrossing and a step to visit my bro, he lives next to Grand Bent ^^
Profile Image
There is a thread in the convention forums about the winning bid for 2016. I am looking forward to visiting Athens.
Profile Image

oh, Canada would be nice :-)

Yippie, I'll be in Toronto in 3 weeks :-)
Profile Image
as a classics student .......
Profile Image
I love to visit, but it is too far from my country
Profile Image
That is a shame, vietnamvisa. Perhaps one year the Convention will be closer to you. In the mean time enjoy Bookcrossing through the forums and by releasing books. You have made a very generous offer on your profile page. Thank you.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.