corner corner Hello from London

Forum | << Introduce Yourself | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Hello from London

Hi!

I just joined today, and have released a few books in the wild already to celebrate this. Hopefully people in London like to read as much as I do. ;)

I've had to give up on my dream of having the huge personal library with thousands of books, due to moving too often (including one huge move from France) and living in flatshares rather than in a flat of my own. As much as I love paper, I admit a Kindle and a tablet take me further these days... although it's always hard to resist the call of charity shops and the pleasure of leafing through a new book (yes, I sniff my books, and I know I'm not the only one).

Alas, I still own more novels than I can afford to keep, and I'm gradually downgrading this personal library of mine, keeping only the ones I'm sure to reread or the really beautiful ones. When I found this website, I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to give a second life to all these books. So here I am.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi!

I just joined today, and have released a few books in the wild already to celebrate this. Hopefully people in London like to read as much as I do. ;)

I've had to give up on my dream of having the huge personal library with thousands of books, due to moving too often (including one huge move from France) and living in flatshares rather than in a flat of my own. As much as I love paper, I admit a Kindle and a tablet take me further these days... although it's always hard to resist the call of charity shops and the pleasure of leafing through a new book (yes, I sniff my books, and I know I'm not the only one).

Alas, I still own more novels than I can afford to keep, and I'm gradually downgrading this personal library of mine, keeping only the ones I'm sure to reread or the really beautiful ones. When I found this website, I thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to give a second life to all these books. So here I am.
Profile Image
Sounds like you and BookCrossing are a perfect match. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

I've never know anyone to release so many books the day they joined! Now you need to practice patience as you may not hear back from some for a while.
Profile Image
I've never know anyone to release so many books the day they joined! Now you need to practice patience as you may not hear back from some for a while.

Thank you!
To be fair, I was ready to leave them at the local library... along with the 20 or so other books I left there anyway (university textbooks, so I didn't think these would be the right ones for the LFL). Then it occurred to me I should try to find a website for travelling books, and remembered this one I had heard abvout years ago but never joined.
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome; sounds like you've made a great start! (And is that Grelle Sutcliffe in your profile pic? Another Black Butler fan here ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7984697/ )!)
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome; sounds like you've made a great start! (And is that Grelle Sutcliffe in your profile pic? Another Black Butler fan here ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7984697/ )!)

Yes it is! They're the kind of over-the-top character I tend to enjoy (both in personality and in design). ^^
Profile Image
@chamonix44 @Camperfan @Delphi_Reader Thank you for the welcome! :)

I like it so far, I just hope I'll hear about some of my books at some point. I really loathe the idea that they may just end on a rubbish heap or recycling bin, so...
Profile Image
I really loathe the idea that they may just end on a rubbish heap or recycling bin, so...

Nononono, that is the wrong attitute.
We , as Bookcrossers, believe that even if the books are not reported, they where picked up and made some one happy.
Profile Image
Yes! I do want to believe that. If I don't donate my books they just end up in the recycling bin, so...
Profile Image
I like it so far, I just hope I'll hear about some of my books at some point. I really loathe the idea that they may just end on a rubbish heap or recycling bin, so...

Do check out the Site Watch forum, if you haven't already; it features posts about books that have been journaled, sometimes right away and sometimes long after release. I find it reassuring!
Profile Image
Welcome to Bookcrossing. I hope you like it as much as we all do and fingers crossed for a Journal Entry on the books you have released.
Profile Image
that there are so many second-hand book stores, swapping selves in eateries and shops, and even LFLs (official or not). So for starters you could release your books in short of a "safe" environment. And gradually you could proceed in more wild releases.
In so many countries, including my own, the concepts of LFL, free swapping book shelves or even thrift shops and the like are nearly unknown! So more or less you have to wild release your books on completely random locations and hope for the best : )
Profile Image
I'm glad as well for all the charity shops. I saw almost all the second-hand bookstores die in my hometown in France, but here at least the books get to have another chance.

I discovered LFLs here in the UK as well and I was really glad it existed.
Profile Image
Welcome from Australia. I am sure you will love it here as much as many of us do. I joined for the same reason you did, but I have to report the number of books on my bookshelf has increased as I continually find more books which are just perfect for releasing!
Make sure you label your books well, be patient and you will no doubt hear back from some of your releases.
Profile Image
Hi, and thank you!

We'll see, I bet I'll hear of some of these books in 5 years or so. XD
Profile Image
Welcome! Wow, you really released a lot of books already! I think this will be a great way to give your books a second life. And it's quite addicting. I keep preferring real books above e-books, even though e-books would be easier/better for me.
Profile Image
Welcome! Wow, you really released a lot of books already! I think this will be a great way to give your books a second life. And it's quite addicting. I keep preferring real books above e-books, even though e-books would be easier/better for me.

Thank you! :)

I do prefer real books as well, buuut I don't have enough money to move a full lorry every two years or so, and I had to make a choice. :(
Profile Image
I feel for you. Due to my work's nature, till very recently I was often moving location every 6 months or so. Hard to create a real "household" with too many possessions. The good thing for me is that my mother is a huge book lover, so most of my books end up on my parent's house. One room is mainly a library and most walls all over the house are covered by bookcases. And some of the books are stored in my grand-mother's and great grand-mother's houses as well lol

The thing is that many people seem to read a book just once. I am known to often read a book I like or another every one or two years, so it's hard to part with them! Still I try to have some books traveling through BC, even if a small percentage of the books I hold in my hands. It helps somehow on spare space management : )
Profile Image
I've left my share of books with my parents already (mostly books that were my mother's anyway, haha).

I usually read a book once only, except for the rare few that I really really loved (but I'm becoming less lenient in that regard). That was also part of my realising that I might as well donate my books: odds are I won't reread most of the novels I own, and on the off-chance I really do want to reread them, I know it'll only be a few, and then I can get the ebook or borrow them from the library.

But it's sad nonetheless, because I still like owing books.
Profile Image

hello

welcome!!!!!
Profile Image

Welcome

Keep an eye on the Conventions and Meetings Forum for London Meet Ups which tend to happen when a Bookcrosser visits from out of town.
Profile Image
Yes! I've just missed one, it seems. O, well.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.