corner corner Newbie from Cold Lake, Canada

Forum | << Introduce Yourself | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Newbie from Cold Lake, Canada

Yup, you read that right, I said from Cold Lake. That's up in Alberta.

My name is Ashely, I'm a 28 year old originally from Vancouver Island and I've always been a reader ever since I was little. It was an escape for me when I was younger and I used to dive right into these worlds to hide away from things going on in my life. It helped me have a more creative and opened mind as I got older.

I was reading Anne Rice and V.C Andrews by the time I was in grade 6, I'd grown up on Goosebumps and Tolken. My uncle got me hooked on comics so I was even digging up Batman and Xmen comics as I grew up.
Usually these days you can find me burrowed in my Cassandra Claire "Shadowhunter" world or the amazing Darkhunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I find most of my new reads at a thriftstore so this makes me happy to find out I can share my books with others. Have any of you found your books in a thriftstore?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Yup, you read that right, I said from Cold Lake. That's up in Alberta.

My name is Ashely, I'm a 28 year old originally from Vancouver Island and I've always been a reader ever since I was little. It was an escape for me when I was younger and I used to dive right into these worlds to hide away from things going on in my life. It helped me have a more creative and opened mind as I got older.

I was reading Anne Rice and V.C Andrews by the time I was in grade 6, I'd grown up on Goosebumps and Tolken. My uncle got me hooked on comics so I was even digging up Batman and Xmen comics as I grew up.
Usually these days you can find me burrowed in my Cassandra Claire "Shadowhunter" world or the amazing Darkhunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I find most of my new reads at a thriftstore so this makes me happy to find out I can share my books with others. Have any of you found your books in a thriftstore?
Profile Image
Reading lot, afraid we don't have thriftstores here, but second hand bookshops and recycling centre go a long way too. Enjoy meeting the friendly people here.
Profile Image
Welcome to Bookcrossing. You came to the right place, we all love books.
Just have a look around the Fora to see what it has to offer and if you have any queations, this is the place to ask. Enjoy.
Profile Image
I'm afraid thrift shops are a rarity in Greece, so usually I buy new books from bookshops that I often lend to others and I borrow from others too. I'm in hospitality business and often there are swapping book shelves in hotels, so I use those a lot too.

Second-hand stores are not so popular here as in other countries, but there are some in Athens and other large cities, so when I visit there, I sometimes find books along with visiting flea markets. That's not so common though. I hear that sometimes fellow BCers have found BC books in such places or even their own, I haven't come into any BC book in the wild yet other than OBCZs or once in a hotel when I wasn't a member back then...

I think you'll like it here : )

Profile Image
RE: Welcome! Hello from Delphi, Greece.: I'm afraid thrift shops are a rarity in Greece, so usually I buy new books from bookshops that I often lend to others and I borrow from others too. I'm in hospitality business and often there are swapping book shelves in hotels, so I use those a lot too.

Second-hand stores are not so popular here as in other countries, but there are some in Athens and other large cities, so when I visit there, I sometimes find books along with visiting flea markets. That's not so common though. I hear that sometimes fellow BCers have found BC books in such places or even their own, I haven't come into any BC book in the wild yet other than OBCZs or once in a hotel when I wasn't a member back then...

I think you'll like it here : )

Really? Oh wow! well its sad to hear that second h and shops are not that common as they are a wonderful way to do things. I find amazing things there, and I can find some books to slip my BC books into!
I'm already looking forward to being here! Thanks!

Re: welcome from Helsinki: Welcome to Bookcrossing. You came to the right place, we all love books.
Just have a look around the Fora to see what it has to offer and if you have any queations, this is the place to ask. Enjoy.

Thank you so much! I shall keep poking around, I cannot wait to make some new bookie friends!

Re:welcome from Helsinki: Reading lot, afraid we don't have thrift stores here, but second hand bookshops and recycling centre go a long way too. Enjoy meeting the friendly people here.

Aww I'm sad to hear that there are fewer thift stores around then I thought! I am so sorry! Thank you, I'm looking forward to these meeting friendly people!
Profile Image
It's often mentioned on the forums to ask in advance if it's ok to release BC books on thrift shops and the like, as some places have a stricter policy that others regarding the condition of the books. There are reports that many places are alright with it, but others will throw away a book if there are stickers or hand-writing on it. You don't want your books to end up on recycling bin. Then if your local thrift shop is fine with it, I think that's a great release spot, let us know how it goes!

I think there are related threads on the Release Techniques forum.
Profile Image
I buy books in thrift stores, library sales, and used book stores, I don’t release any there. Once in a while I’ll find a BookCrosding book there, usually recognizable by the Tiny Sticker on the spine. I highly recommend these, which you can order from the Supply Store but I also recommend using clear packing tape over them, as they have a tendency to pop off otherwise.

Good luck with your releases.
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome!

There are lots of thrift stores near me - Savers, Goodwill, Salvation Army, a local stand-alone place, and even a chain of supermarkets that hosts charity-sale bookshelves or bins. I do release some of my books there, and have found a few BC books as well - though the books I find are usually my own, released elsewhere years before {wry grin}. (Sometimes I buy them back to re-release, sometimes I just smile to see that they're still around.)

My favorite release spots - when the weather permits - are scenic outdoor places with good photo opportunities, like public statues or murals, pretty window-boxes near interesting shops or restaurants, park benches, that kind of thing. I also release to Little Free Libraries and other book-swap shelves; don't know if you have any of those near you, but it's worth a look.
Profile Image
Thank you so much for the information and input, I've read a far bit of other posts and such on this site and I understand that a lot of places will toss the books. Thankfully the one I work at its mostly me since its such a small store and I will be talking to my boss about the idea of making a shelf for them (for sale though which would be mentioned in the release notes of any I register) since our soft covers are only .50 Cents and the hard covers 1.00$

Sadly there isn't much in my town for little free libraries but there are a lot of coffee shops and places like 7-11, bus stops and such. I cannot do much outdoors at the moment since its -40 C here with windchill at the moment and there is a lot of ice. Though once summer comes I can find more places outside.

As for stickers and such, I have been making my own indicators and labels so far since funds are tight for me to order anything. Once I can though I will for sure order some stickers!

I really love reading about other peoples releasing techniques! Thank you so much for sharing them with me.
Profile Image
I like to hear from enthusiastic new members. I don't wild release much on my own home town due to various reasons, but I prepare some mass releases on January when I'll go to Athens.
I think wild releases are the core element of BC and it's great to have both the options of thrift shops, café places and swapping shelves AND various outdoor locations.
Let's hope you'll get many catches and hear from your books often!
Profile Image
Hi and welcome!
I'm LaLiberaLibri (something like TheBookRelaser, more or less 😊) and I'm in Milan, North Italy.
Obviously I love reading and I agree with you in saying that reading helps in growing with great imagination ad open mind.
Two of my books have recently r each the US (http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14809318/ ) and I think it's cool! I really enjoy BC and I'm sure you'll do too!
So welcome again and... have a good reading!
Profile Image
Hi,

Welcome :) I love how you describe what reading did for you, I feel the same way. Usually when I go to a thrift shop I buy way too many books, so I don't go as frequently anymore, LOL. I buy informative/instructive books there mostly. And online second-hand too, but then for leisure, fiction. Now I'm trying to not buy books anymore for a while, because I bought a lot of books at the same time (like 50 - but maybe it was more like a 100) and some people weren't really happy about that ;)
Profile Image
Welcome, Icequeenslion. Yes, I know Cold Lake, AB. A while back, I went to a wedding in Toronto. There was a lovely bride, and a dashing young pilot who was posted to....you guessed it. I have lived in Calgary, and my son now lives in Vancouver. He just graduated from UBC and like most Ontario kids....he's hooked on BC, the mountains, the ocean, the green living, bicycles, etc. I've been a BX'er for about 12 years and it all started when I found a "wild" book at Home Depot. I was hooked - 'just loved the concept, the serendipity of it all..... There are lots of things to do with Bookcrossing, (book swaps, bookrings, bookrays, Forums, meetups, conventions, RABCK's, messaging, etc.). If you have any questions, the newbie forum is great, and you can PM people too (Personal Message). I like the fact that Bookcrossing is free and anonymous, and you never get spam. By the way....do you ever come to Toronto? We have a Toronto Bookcrossers group, and we've been getting together about 4x a year for chats and a book swap for 10 years. We've welcomed Bookcrossers visiting Toronto from Australia, Norway, Germany, the USA and other parts of Canada. If you see something on my bookshelf, let me know and I can send it to you to help you get going with Bookcrossing. Except for anything marked "permanent collection" (I have a rock and roll library here at home - those books are all PC). It would be great if you could ask for a thinner than thick book. Canada Post rates just keep going up!
Profile Image
Hi Ashley, welcome to BC. :)
Profile Image
Welcome to BC ! Hope you enjoy be with us !
Profile Image
Hi! It's cool to meet so many people from around the world. I live in the US and I love reading books too. :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.