corner corner Hi from a Midlands geocacher!

Forum | << Introduce Yourself | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Hi from a Midlands geocacher!

Hi all!

I found a link to this site on a geocaching page and, as a (one time) avid reader, I was intrigued. Upon visiting the site and discovering what it's all about I immediately signed up! I love the idea of releasing books into the wild for others to find and enjoy. I used to read non-stop, usually having 2 or 3 books on the go at any one time. These days I tend to listen to audio books more though I am making a concerted effort to return to the printed word. I have a bookshelf full of books yet to be read, and several bags of books already read so, with the help of my grandkids, I'll have a sort through and find some suitable for release. My grandkids also love to read and have books that they've now outgrown so they're going to have a look for some to release too. As gecoachers (my grandskids love caching with me!), we're going to release one or two into any suitably large caches that we may find which will make a change to the usual tat we find in some caches! Just need to buy some ziplock bags now.... ☺

Cheers!
0dd0ne

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi all!

I found a link to this site on a geocaching page and, as a (one time) avid reader, I was intrigued. Upon visiting the site and discovering what it's all about I immediately signed up! I love the idea of releasing books into the wild for others to find and enjoy. I used to read non-stop, usually having 2 or 3 books on the go at any one time. These days I tend to listen to audio books more though I am making a concerted effort to return to the printed word. I have a bookshelf full of books yet to be read, and several bags of books already read so, with the help of my grandkids, I'll have a sort through and find some suitable for release. My grandkids also love to read and have books that they've now outgrown so they're going to have a look for some to release too. As gecoachers (my grandskids love caching with me!), we're going to release one or two into any suitably large caches that we may find which will make a change to the usual tat we find in some caches! Just need to buy some ziplock bags now.... ☺

Cheers!
0dd0ne
Profile Image

Hi OddOne

Welcome to Bookcrossing. Looks like you came to the right place.
Just look around the Fora to see what it's all about and then get right to it.
Have fun.
Profile Image
Hi, and welcome! I'm a geocacher too, and I've left books in caches (and/or at trailheads on the way to caches). Here's a Site Watch post about one of my more-frequently-journaled geocache releases:

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/543876

While it's nice to find caches large enough for regular books - I do love a good ammo box - I also collect tiny books such as the one in that post, or like those in the Penguin 60s series.

Hope you enjoy BookCrossing!
Profile Image
Your plans sound perfect for BookCrossing. Including kids is a great idea. I don't geocache myself, but many BookCrossers do and combine the two hobbies.

If you have actually audiobooks, (not downloads or library books), those can be released too. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!
Profile Image
Several here also Geocache. I do and am about to drive to a Geocaching Mega event in Victoria (Australia). I will be releasing BC books along the journey.
Profile Image
I noticed this post and as well as stopping by to say "welcome" I thought that you might be interested in these geocaching threads :
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/547043
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/546262
There are many members who combine geocaching and BookCrossing. I'm sure you'll find some new friends here in no time at all!
Welcome again to BookCrossing, and enjoy the site.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.