corner corner Any bookcrossers on facebook here? (crosspost)

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Any bookcrossers on facebook here? (crosspost)

I'm a fairly active facebooker ... some (aka my husband) might even call me slightly addicted. However, I thought of using facebook to create some extra buzz for the other love of my life ... bookscrossing. ;-)

On facebook there is an event for Bookcrossing Day. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/---/1271144939652295

If you are on FB you can like, share and attend the event and post your releases for bookcrossing on there as well. This way more and more people will see this event even though they aren't necessarily bookcrossers and hopefully become interested.

I am also part of several bookloving communities on FB. I will be posting 'win'competitions, in which I will send several people a bookcrossing book to use for Bookcrossing Day. (Rules: like, share or attend the event and out of all these people I will choose a few to send a book to.)

I've been a bookcrosser for 10 years now and I've made up my mind to advertise about the hobby that I've been happy in for so long. Hopefully some of you will follow suit. Bookcrossers unit! :D
(Thanks for reading this!)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I'm a fairly active facebooker ... some (aka my husband) might even call me slightly addicted. However, I thought of using facebook to create some extra buzz for the other love of my life ... bookscrossing. ;-)

On facebook there is an event for Bookcrossing Day. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/---/1271144939652295/

If you are on FB you can like, share and attend the event and post your releases for bookcrossing on there as well. This way more and more people will see this event even though they aren't necessarily bookcrossers and hopefully become interested.

I am also part of several bookloving communities on FB. I will be posting 'win'competitions, in which I will send several people a bookcrossing book to use for Bookcrossing Day. (Rules: like, share or attend the event and out of all these people I will choose a few to send a book to.)

I've been a bookcrosser for 10 years now and I've made up my mind to advertise about the hobby that I've been happy in for so long. Hopefully some of you will follow suit. Bookcrossers unit! :D
(Thanks for reading this!)
Profile Image
I'm glad to see the FB encouragement - though I'm still a newbie on Facebook and can't say that I find it very easy to use.

I do keep an eye on the Official BookCrossing FB page (which listed the BC Day event you linked to):

https://www.facebook.com/BookCrossingOfficial/

And the BookCrossers group:

https://www.facebook.com/---/2224064277/

I'll try to promote BC Day there myself - the more, the merrier!
Profile Image
Unfortunately I think facebook has stolen some activity from here. Some BC discussions, etc are moved to facebook when they should be here to help support the site.
Profile Image
Unfortunately I think facebook has stolen some activity from here. Some BC discussions, etc are moved to facebook when they should be here to help support the site.

I follow a few bookcrossing groups on facebook, and to be honest they are pretty quiet. Nothing that really should be here.

It's just nice to see bookcrossing things come up now and then integrated into my normal friends,family, and misc updates, not just here when I seek them out. :-)

Moriquen's post isn't so much promoting facebook, as trying to use facebook more effectively to bring people here. One simple way to do that is to "like", comment, and share the "event" on facebook. This helps it to be seen. I don't know if it would get any 100% new members, but it definitely could encourage less active members to register or release a few books. Which brings them here. Maybe even remind them to renew wings, who knows. My point is, Moriquen is making an effort to promote Bookcrossing and I think we should support and encourage her!
Profile Image

I follow a few bookcrossing groups on facebook, and to be honest they are pretty quiet. Nothing that really should be here.

It's just nice to see bookcrossing things come up now and then integrated into my normal friends,family, and misc updates, not just here when I seek them out. :-)

Moriquen's post isn't so much promoting facebook, as trying to use facebook more effectively to bring people here. One simple way to do that is to "like", comment, and share the "event" on facebook. This helps it to be seen. I don't know if it would get any 100% new members, but it definitely could encourage less active members to register or release a few books. Which brings them here. Maybe even remind them to renew wings, who knows. My point is, Moriquen is making an effort to promote Bookcrossing and I think we should support and encourage her!

Indeed, thank you. I'm on several bookcrossing groups on fb as well and not much is happening there. The only time some of the groups really come alive is when the site is down and people start to panick. ;-) Sometimes they come in handy to share pictures, just because that is much harder on here.

I am indeed just trying to create a bit of a buzz for our community, get the word out a little more in my area, but worldwide as well. I've seen it done by another regional group doing something similar to bookcrossing and word spread like wildfire. That was, in part, thanks to an effective use of facebook and other social media. And since we ventured on instagram recently, I felt it would try to get more interest going on other platforms as well. I choose fb, because that is the one I am most acquainted with.
Profile Image
I signpost people to the BC forums on occasion. It works both ways in order to make BC more 'out there' and keep the interest alive for those who maybe are not so active.

I am on here every day however I don't use facebook as often.

Oh and yes facebook has proved useful to know when the site isn't working for me that it is an International problem and not just my own browser :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.