corner corner Pencil Power!

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I just ordered a new batch to give out for this Halloween, along with the books & candy & other treats, a different design, but still with the website name

Where did you order these from? Sounds like a great idea.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
My daughter used to work as a teacher in a childhood education program. They were low on pencils, so I sent a box of my yellow BookCrossing.com pencils to them - about a hundred. A few months ago, daughter got a new job at a call center and started seeing the BookCrossing pencils at work - ones she didn't take there. So, even if my books don't always travel, the pencils with the website name do.

I just ordered a new batch to give out for this Halloween, along with the books & candy & other treats, a different design, but still with the website name. I'm looking forward to finding out if the new design travels, too.
Profile Image
I just ordered a new batch to give out for this Halloween, along with the books & candy & other treats, a different design, but still with the website name

Where did you order these from? Sounds like a great idea.
Profile Image
They're based in Missouri. The pencils are superior - more sturdy, better quality, well-printed. I've bought from them for several years now, not only BookCrossing pencils, but cast gifts for plays we've directed.

There's a minimum order of 3 boxes (3 gross). I've gotten both pre-sharpened ($2 extra per box) and unsharpened. In general, I prefer the pre-sharpened. The boxes run about $26-28, but check out their novelty erasers and other stuff, too. This last order, I also got a tub of owl pencil toppers to go with my owl theme this year.

Also, they have boxes of "seconds" which are misprinted or poorly wrapped pencils. If you just want good quality pencils and don't care what they look like, those can be a good value, too - not much more than Dollar Tree prices for pencils that are Much better quality.

I usually get a yellow barrel with black printing - the BookCrossing colors. This time, since they're more for Halloween than anything else, I got orange barrels with black printing. They'll say, "Happy Halloween! from 4libros BookCrossing.com."
Profile Image
What a great idea! I think I'll see if I can find a UK company that would do similar. Could be fun to send pencils out as well!
Profile Image
They're based in Missouri. The pencils are superior - more sturdy, better quality, well-printed.

Sounds great but...I see that they use UPS, which generally means that shipping to Hawaii will be ridiculous. Sigh. I wish more places would use the USPS, which doesn't charge extra to ship here. :(

Sorry, off the soapbox now. I still think it's terrific that you do this.
Profile Image
The pencils came in today and are awesome! I'm getting excited for Halloween. (Early, I know.) The "seconds" pencils were the same great quality, and I don't know what was wrong with them. They were 144 colorfully wrapped pencils with good erasers, no flaws that I could see. Some of the same design wrappers were different from each other, such as one had gold foil and another had silver foil - that sort of thing. Could that be enough to ruin an order?

In any case, I plan to give each child one of the colorful pencils and one of the BookCrossing Halloween pencils, along with an owl eraser/topper that I bought from the same place. I got owl pencil sharpeners earlier in the year, some plastic finger rings, full-sized theme books, and have a variety of candy coming. We'll probably do crayons or colored pencils again - bought during the back-to-school sales - and full-size candy bars, along with the books.

I know the candy seems a bit much. It's a throwback to when hubby and I were kids. We always remembered the houses that gave full-size bars and deeply regretted the year when everyone decided little snacks were healthier (which they are). So, when we married, we made a pact about this - always the full-sized bars. We can give other stuff, too, but the bars are a rule. ;-) (We'll see what happens when the income drops.)

I forgot to mention the reason for the owl theme - we have a poster on our front door with a big owl that says, "Read, or the Owl will EAT you!"
Profile Image
we have a poster on our front door with a big owl that says, "Read, or the Owl will EAT you!"

LOL!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.