corner corner Well, that was fun : )

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I bought 95.5 pounds of books today at a local sale for $10.02 (including tax).

Wow!

Complete Thread

Profile Image

I just got done sorting them out into the Release Challenges they are intended for. I've got books for the Movie Challenge, Never Judge a Book by its Cover, the Ultimate Challenge, Becky's Hugs, Great Backyard Bird Count Challenge, Valentine's, Heads Shoulders Knees and Toes, the Sci Fi Challenge, the Wine & Food Challenge, the 4 Elements Challenge, Oh, the Places We Can Go, April Showers/May Flowers, June Brides Challenge, Christmas in July, Children's Concept Book Challenge, You're Such an Animal, Talk Like a Pirate Day Challenge, the Halloween Challenge, Tick Tock, the One Word Challenge, What's in a Name and a few I'd like to read or that looked interesting that I'll save for upcoming unknown Challenges.

Like I said, that was fun!!! [Except that some of the stacks on my book shelves are already falling over.]
Profile Image
Wow! That's quite a hoard! Well done you!
Profile Image
Awesome! Love the bit about "...and a few I'd like to read..." {wry grin}

You rock the release challenges!
Profile Image
Love the bit about "...and a few I'd like to read...

Well, there were possibly half a dozen that I might want to read myself.

And... even though I'm not quite done posting this year's April Showers/May Flowers releases, now I've got 10 more for next year.

: )
Profile Image

Wow!
Profile Image
I couldn't do that: carrying them up the stairs would probably defeat me and I don't have space!!

(Although $1/lb is a very good price if they're books you can use.)
Profile Image
That's why I can't resist.

I think they came out to about 5 cents a book this time, but of course that depends if you pick heavy paperbacks or skinny kids books., since they charge by the pound.
Profile Image
That's why I can't resist.

I think they came out to about 5 cents a book this time, but of course that depends if you pick heavy paperbacks or skinny kids books.

Yes, I meant $1 for 10 lbs but got scrambled actually typing it.

Are they really priced by weight? Such a deal: I would have trouble resisting too.
Profile Image
Are they really priced by weight?

Yes, you roll a big shopping cart onto the scale and it tells you how many pounds of books you've got.
Profile Image

Wow.

Are they really priced by weight?

Yes, you roll a big shopping cart onto the scale and it tells you how many pounds of books you've got.

So sort of like the salad bar at the supermarket, but for books: definitely sounds like fun!
Profile Image
they charge by the pound.

I've never seen books sold by the pound, but it sounds like a few of your libraries do it. Clever idea! Who needs to go to the gym or buy weights? Just cart books around!
Profile Image
I went back and bought 75 more pounds of books yesterday.

Still in bags on the kitchen floor but I've already taken a few out so I won't be counting them this time as I forgot to keep track of how many I removed.

Now why would she possibly think I'm addicted to books???
Profile Image
I went back and bought 75 more pounds of books yesterday.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! And I'm reminded that today is the 30% senior-discount day at a local thrift shop with a really good book selection; not nearly as cheap as your by-the-pound rates, but still a good deal. I'd better head out!
Profile Image
Ugh, I wish I had something like that here... Of couse my husband and friends already know I'm an addict!!!!
Profile Image
I only bought 33 pounds of books yesterday since a friend reminded me while I was shopping that there are local library sales this coming weekend and the one after. So I restrained myself. : )
Profile Image
wow how many books do you need for all those events?
Profile Image

Well, you don't *need* tons of books - the release challenges are more for fun than anything else, and if you want to play, you can just see if any books you already have will count for any of the current or upcoming challenges. And of course you don't need to release books for specific challenges at all, just turn 'em loose for someone else to enjoy!
Profile Image

Most Release Challenges don't have any minimum amount of books you have to release to play at all. A few do--the Oh, the Places We Can Go Release Challenge has a minimum of 15 I think, and the You're Such an Animal Challenge has 20. There may be others as well. But of course even for those Challenges people sometimes sign up and start releasing and find they may not have the minimum amount. Most are just release as many as you want to.

I happen to be addicted to BookCrossing and release a lot of books and, even though most people don't join in Release Challenges at all, they are what I enjoy most. I'd say 99.5 % of my releases are for one or multiple Challenges. But that's just me. For me that's what makes releasing fun.

Most Challenges you can join in if you have one book to release, or 5 or 10 or any number. Here's the list of all the ones that have been announced for this year, so far, although others may pop up later. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/537362

The rules for each Challenge are set by the person who started it and all are different. Look them over and give some a try if you want to. You might become hooked too. : )

ETA: here's the Release Challenges forum if you want to explore last year's Challenge rules to see which ones might interest you to join this year. (There are also some links in the thread I posted above). http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/23

~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA: my addiction isn't getting any better. I came home with 187 books for assorted Challenges from a local library sale on Saturday. And there's another one the upcoming Sunday.
Profile Image
And there's another one the upcoming Sunday.

Only another 148 books today as the cost per bag was much higher at that library. : )

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.