corner corner Adam Ruins Ebooks: An Argument for Paper.

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Adam Ruins Ebooks: An Argument for Paper.

Do you watch the show Adam Ruins Everything? It's very interesting, and covers a wide variety of topics. Each of the facts asserted is backed up by a source, which is listed during the show and posted on the show's website. The show itself proves how even a "reliable source" can be unreliable, but the series still brings up some fascinating points.
Anyway... On one episode, the subject of physical books (not being environmentally friendly, I think) is briefly tackled. I will summarize the key points, because I can't seem to find the segment info online. If someone else can find it, and post the link, that'd be great. http://www.trutv.com/---/index.html

Some forests are owned by paper companies. Trees are planted, grow, and are harvested. Replacement trees are planted, grow, and are harvested. New trees are planted, and the circle continues. When demand for paper decreases, the value of the property the forests occupy shifts--it may now be more profitable for the paper companies to sell the land. The forests will be cleared and shopping malls, housing, or other things will be built. So, as a move towards a paperless world continues, the amount of forests in that world will decline.

This tv show is obviously not the first place this subject has been approached, but it's what prompted me to think about it, so I wanted to attribute the information correctly. It also made me think about BookCrossing--I feel the site/concept has lost some users and potential users due to e-books, so I thought it was relevant to post here. What are your thoughts on this?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Do you watch the show Adam Ruins Everything? It's very interesting, and covers a wide variety of topics. Each of the facts asserted is backed up by a source, which is listed during the show and posted on the show's website. The show itself proves how even a "reliable source" can be unreliable, but the series still brings up some fascinating points.
Anyway... On one episode, the subject of physical books (not being environmentally friendly, I think) is briefly tackled. I will summarize the key points, because I can't seem to find the segment info online. If someone else can find it, and post the link, that'd be great. http://www.trutv.com/---/index.html

Some forests are owned by paper companies. Trees are planted, grow, and are harvested. Replacement trees are planted, grow, and are harvested. New trees are planted, and the circle continues. When demand for paper decreases, the value of the property the forests occupy shifts--it may now be more profitable for the paper companies to sell the land. The forests will be cleared and shopping malls, housing, or other things will be built. So, as a move towards a paperless world continues, the amount of forests in that world will decline.

This tv show is obviously not the first place this subject has been approached, but it's what prompted me to think about it, so I wanted to attribute the information correctly. It also made me think about BookCrossing--I feel the site/concept has lost some users and potential users due to e-books, so I thought it was relevant to post here. What are your thoughts on this?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.