corner corner good reads and the ( hopefully ) future of Book Crossing

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Book Crossing should have a way of getting points and leveling up when you either find a book or releasing a book.

Hi, and welcome to BookCrossing!

Since our profile pages already show how many books we've registered, released, found, or caught, I'm not sure we need anything extra there. What kind of "leveling up" did you have in mind, and how would it encourage people?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Book Crossing should have a way of getting points and leveling up when you either find a book or releasing a book. Also, everyone on Book Crossing should read the book " Book Scavenger." It is a book about a game called Book Scavenger, which is a mix of letter boxing, geocaching, and Book Crossing. It is also just a really well written book. It's part of a series, too.
Profile Image
Book Crossing should have a way of getting points and leveling up when you either find a book or releasing a book.

Hi, and welcome to BookCrossing!

Since our profile pages already show how many books we've registered, released, found, or caught, I'm not sure we need anything extra there. What kind of "leveling up" did you have in mind, and how would it encourage people?
Profile Image
Book Crossing should have a way of getting points and leveling up when you either find a book or releasing a book. Also, everyone on Book Crossing should read the book " Book Scavenger." It is a book about a game called Book Scavenger, which is a mix of letter boxing, geocaching, and Book Crossing. It is also just a really well written book. It's part of a series, too.

But bookcrossing isn't a game... and that sound like "gamer's rewards" :) I for one am not interested in "competing"...... as it is I have WAY too many books I still need to register and release.... LOL
Profile Image

What would be the point?
Profile Image
Some sites suddenly seem to establish a points system, I guess thinking it's a way to attract a younger crowd. Trip Advisor comes to mind for example, about a year ago they introduced a system to collect X or Z points when posting a review or making a forum post etc and the more points you get the X level contributor you are supposed to be.

But I'm not sure if this is really effective as far as there isn't any real benefit of doing so. If there was some kind of actual reward, I think then that might have some better result, as people are used to collect points to gain some benefits, for example on a credit card program or similar. But collecting points just for the sake of it... I don't know.
Profile Image
There is a BookCrossing Guild on Habitica (https://habitica.com/) that I have just found and joined - I'm going to see if it's active and if I can design some challenges :)
Profile Image
Book Scavenger what introduced me to BC! :)
Profile Image
I agree with the others. Although this is a good idea, I think the part in our profile pages that shows our stats is enough.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.