corner corner Little Free Library: To Register or Not To Register....

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
So, after I purchased my little side table for a makeshift little library, a friend surprised me with a beautiful handmade one! (It's getting installed this week. The post has already been dropped in the ground.)

I mentioned to my friend that I hadn't decided whether or not to register, he said, "Why WOULDN'T you register it?!" Since he was so generous as to build me an amazing little library, I decided I needed to register it! I hope the sign comes soon!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
....that is the question!

I was on a bit of a budget, and I have no carpentry skills, so I recently purchased a little side cabinet to stick out front of my house, as I've always wanted a little free library. Now I'm trying to sort out the details (decoration, signage, social media).

I wonder if registering with LFL is worthwhile. I'm near a middle school, and I expect to get plenty of foot traffic. Also I live in a pedestrian/bike friendly town. I'm not worried about attracting people. Are there other major reasons to register?

What do you all call your boxes without the LFL name? Tiny community library? Book exchange?

Also, I'm debating whether to make it an OBCZ and whether to have social media pages. But, I suppose I don't have to decide any of that immediately!

Thanks for any insight!
Profile Image
I'm a fan of LFLs, mainly because they're lovely places to release books where they will be (relatively) safe from weather - and because many of them are adorable! I do make use of the LFL map to see if there are any registered ones in towns I plan to visit, so registering yours might make it more visible to similarly-inclined folk - but if you don't need to draw participants that may not be enough of a reason, and besides, as a BCer, the books you release there will put the spot on the hunting pages anyway. (You can do that whether you make it an OBCZ or not, but the "OBCZ" flag does help highlight it on the hunting pages.)

Registration does help to support the LFL site and promote the movement, which is nice. If I had the funds - and a good location - I'd like to set up an LFL and would register it on the site. But I've seen plenty of unregistered ones, some of them explicitly labeled "Little Free Library" on the box and others just following the theme.

You could set it up without registering for now, and if all goes well and you decide you can afford it, you can register it down the line. Either way, good luck with it!
Profile Image
I use the LFL map myself, so I do understand the advantages of having a searchable exchange. But, I do like the idea of setting it up and then deciding about registration later.
Profile Image
josierivers and I visit and leave books at several around town. We put in our journal entry "left at Little Free Library #0000" or "left at an unofficial Little free library at the park." It does not deter us on putting books out if it isn't registered.
Profile Image
I have had a Little Free Library since July, 2013. I did want to register it because I wanted it on the map. The registration fee is just a one-time fee which helps support the organization and gives you an official numbered sign and starter package. What I like most about being a registered LFL is that I get to participate in the LFL stewards page. We share ideas and pictures...and I've met others of these LFL stewards in real life. It's fun.

Should you decided not to register it, do not use the name Little Free Library, but simply call it a book exchange or an OBCZ.

It took me a while to decide if I should make my LFL into an OBCZ. Once I did so, I never looked back. I love having my own OBCZ in the LFL on my front lawn as I never could find a place any other place to start an OBCZ of my own. I register almost every book on BookCrossing that comes in that I intend to release in my LFL. No one has every complained about my doing so.

As for your LFL, be sure that is securely affixed to something so no one can steal it. Really.

For social media, I have a Facebook page for my LFL.
https://www.facebook.com/LittleFreeLibrary7720Twinbrook

I find that the Facebook page attracts followers and repeat visitors. I also post pictures of donations to say thanks as well as allow my Facebook page followers to reserve any book(s) they see for immediate pickup.
Profile Image
So, after I purchased my little side table for a makeshift little library, a friend surprised me with a beautiful handmade one! (It's getting installed this week. The post has already been dropped in the ground.)

I mentioned to my friend that I hadn't decided whether or not to register, he said, "Why WOULDN'T you register it?!" Since he was so generous as to build me an amazing little library, I decided I needed to register it! I hope the sign comes soon!
Profile Image

Awesome! (If you ever need extra books to stock it with, let me know!)
Profile Image
a friend surprised me with a beautiful handmade one!

Would love to see a picture. Can you post one after it's up?
Profile Image
Would love to see a picture. Can you post one after it's up?

You betcha I will!
Profile Image
My charter sign doesn't come until next week, but I got the little library installed last night and I LOVE it! My neighbor is in my book club and she loves it too!

Here are some photos: https://www.instagram.com/nadolfl/
Profile Image
Congratulations, it looks great!

Makes me wish we would have a house with garden to put one up ...
Profile Image
It's adorable! Hope you get lots of catches - or at least lots of happy neighbors swapping books!
Profile Image
I hope you will have many happy neighbors and many catches. Best of luck!
Profile Image

RE: IT'S UP!!!!

That's gorgeous. Did your friend paint it, or did you?
Profile Image
That's gorgeous. Did your friend paint it, or did you?

My friend did the whole thing. Even painted in the carved ivy. Really impressive.
Profile Image
That's so cute! I know you're going to have so much fun with it. Congratulations on your success!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.