corner corner Idea for a hunting log

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Maybe it's because I haven't had any caffeine yet, but I don't understand how that would encourage someone to journal online. It seems as though they would find it easier to write it on the card and not bother to check out the site. But I'm probably missing something... : )

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi, I just rediscovered bookcrossing after completely forgetting about it for close to a decade. I had an idea this morning that might encourage finders to log their finds. I'm thinking of creating a large card to go in the books with something like : Join the fun http://www.bookcrossing.com across top.
Then a title that says Hunting Log
Then a list to fill in something like
1. Book:
BCID:
Date and where found:
Date and where released:
2. Etc...maybe room to record 3 to 5 finds

Only the second finder if the book is released wouldn't have a card.
So I'm not sure if this is a viable idea or not.
Any suggestions?
Profile Image
Sounds good.

I am sure World Book Night 2016 UK & NI did something different this year. I think its just a record of finders and the date they found it printed on the front page. I don't have one close by but maybe another Bookcrosser who gave them away this year maybe able to confirm.

I'll come back and let you know when I know for sure.

Your idea promotes bookcrossing and anything that does that is great! :)
Profile Image
I know some BCers have tried fastening a card or piece of paper inside the book-cover with the kind of "invite to hand-written comments" information you describe; I even tried it myself in a few books, though I neglected to keep links to those books so I could find out whether they did any better in the journal-entry department {wry grin}. I do think that sometimes a hand-written or otherwise more explicit invitation to jot down information might encourage interest in finders, but I don't know how far it would go - and there is the risk that if they can add the info in the book by hand, they might not bother to go online. (Though if the card/paper/log remains with the book, a future finder might transcribe or photograph the information.)

I do like to add the registration location and date to my books, just so that future finders can see how far and how long the book has traveled. (The custom bookplates have spaces for this, and on the print-for-free templates I jot the info by hand in a blank corner of the labels.) Sometimes, if I've received a well-traveled book from another BCer, I'll write down its hops under the label too, along the lines of your suggestion - but, again, I haven't kept track of which books I treated that way, so I don't know whether the extra information helped tantalize a finder or not.
Profile Image
I'm not sure if this is a viable idea or not.

Sure, you could do that, I don't see any serious downsides.
I'm not going to do it myself, because the chance that I'll ever get to see it again is vanishingly small.
Profile Image
Maybe it's because I haven't had any caffeine yet, but I don't understand how that would encourage someone to journal online. It seems as though they would find it easier to write it on the card and not bother to check out the site. But I'm probably missing something... : )
Profile Image
Well, I was thinking if they had a card to keep and write down their find in, they might go online to look for more released books. Maybe it wouldn't encourage journaling, I just thought it might help with the curiosity factor. When I described how it worked to a friend they were more interested in the scavenger hunt possibilities than releasing books.
Profile Image
When I described how it worked to a friend they were more interested in the scavenger hunt possibilities than releasing books.

Interesting! I know some people sign up to try and hunt for books rather than release their own, and that's fine, but it can be tricky - even when there are actual book-swap shelves, OBCZs, Little Free Libraries, etc., finding a specific BC book there does require some luck. And BC books left in more public spots can disappear very quickly!

Perhaps you could point them to the Geocaching site. There's a fair amount of crossover between BookCrossers and Geocachers, and books left in caches may remain there for some time. (I've had catches of books that were in caches for over a year! I do put them in zip-lock bags to protect them from leaky caches, which seems to help.) That might appeal to the scavenger-hunt-preferring folk...
Profile Image
That's a great idea. Might see if it could work for letterboxing also...I've always meant to try that....

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.