corner corner A dilema of Marketing: Crowd funding vs sustainability

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

A dilema of Marketing: Crowd funding vs sustainability

I like many of the new features (once the inevitable bug shake down finishes). I do have one comment though about direction. Money is always an issue, a wonderful site like BC requires a certain amount of cash flow.

The new pricing structure disturbs me. Wings have gone up. Wow. Bookplates have gone down.

Here's the rub, and I think it's worth thinking about: Many members are of an age that we accept responsibility for our consumption of resources. I keep my wings, and I purchase at the store. I am in the habit of adding an extra donation to my orders, and also designating the free month of wings to one of my wingless friends (quietly showing the benefits of supporting the site). Placing the fiscal burden on wings will have a chilling effect on that automatic extra donation and giving away of the premium of a month's free wings.

The flip side of the coin is lowering the price of Bookplates to encourage sales. Okay, that's nice. However the available plates are now very restricted. Previously I would place an order for one of my plates, and then happily look through the 100 most recent, the 100 most popular, and all of the plates of my friends. I always found an add-on to my order among this grouping. Now the situation is different, my choices are the most recent 15, the most popular 15, and the first 15 plates of all my friends. The five plates you are promoting to the left side of the screen don't interest me. So I now choose my add-on from 50 choices where I previously had at least 200.

The new financial structure now encourages my orders to be smaller, no donation, and keeping the monthly wings premium for myself. I do not think this is what was intended: to chill the support of your sustaining core.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I like many of the new features (once the inevitable bug shake down finishes). I do have one comment though about direction. Money is always an issue, a wonderful site like BC requires a certain amount of cash flow.

The new pricing structure disturbs me. Wings have gone up. Wow. Bookplates have gone down.

Here's the rub, and I think it's worth thinking about: Many members are of an age that we accept responsibility for our consumption of resources. I keep my wings, and I purchase at the store. I am in the habit of adding an extra donation to my orders, and also designating the free month of wings to one of my wingless friends (quietly showing the benefits of supporting the site). Placing the fiscal burden on wings will have a chilling effect on that automatic extra donation and giving away of the premium of a month's free wings.

The flip side of the coin is lowering the price of Bookplates to encourage sales. Okay, that's nice. However the available plates are now very restricted. Previously I would place an order for one of my plates, and then happily look through the 100 most recent, the 100 most popular, and all of the plates of my friends. I always found an add-on to my order among this grouping. Now the situation is different, my choices are the most recent 15, the most popular 15, and the first 15 plates of all my friends. The five plates you are promoting to the left side of the screen don't interest me. So I now choose my add-on from 50 choices where I previously had at least 200.

The new financial structure now encourages my orders to be smaller, no donation, and keeping the monthly wings premium for myself. I do not think this is what was intended: to chill the support of your sustaining core.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Profile Image
Now the situation is different, my choices are the most recent 15, the most popular 15, and the first 15 plates of all my friends.

That's temporary. Not only will there be pagination added soon so you can see all that you could see before, there will also be a search option, so you will be able to see more, not less.

Your other considerations seem very valid to me, and I will pass them on to certain people that do not generally read this forum section.
Profile Image

Agreed: I do like many of the new changes, but it would be nice to have the option to give the wings-with-purchase to someone else. (My most recent supply purchase failed to qualify because I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize until afterwards that the threshold for that had been raised also.)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.