corner corner state parks

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
If there's an existing bookshelf, I'd say sure - and a waiting area such as a laundry room would also seem like a good release spot, unless there's no place to leave the books where they wouldn't be in the way of the normal use of the space. [If the only surface is the laundry-sorting table, I wouldn't leave books there, but if there's an end table or magazine rack or even a window ledge, that might do.]

I do recall concerns about National Park releases, especially if the books were left lying around in places where they'd detract from the experience; a book-in-a-bag might be a delightful surprise to many people, but if it can be seen halfway across a Civil War battlefield it might just look like litter. If in doubt, definitely ask the park staff - maybe they know of swap-shelves that could use some books. Leaving books at the nearest bus stop to the site might be good; parking lots, too.

If the park includes hiking trails, see if there are huts for hikers; those may very well have book-swap shelves, and even if you don't want to hike up there yourself, you might find a ranger - or other park visitor - who's willing to schlep the books up there.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I am into tent camping at state parks (usually at Louisiana State Parks and Mississippi State Parks). I notice in the laundry room, they have tables for people to fold there clothes. I am thinking that the next time I go tent camping at a state park, I will bring a few books to leave in the laundry room. Is this a good ideal?

If I remember correctly, either Bogue Chitto State Park in Franklinton, Louisiana or Percy Quin State Park in McComb, Mississippi actually had a shelve in the laundry room were you could trade books (the sign said "take a book, leave a book).
Profile Image
I have left books in National Parks in Australia, but outside in a protective sealed plastic bag. I also usually leave it in the shade as our sun here in summer can be strong and yellow paper. Examples:
This one I left outside an information centre:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11763720/
At a lookout in a forest:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11741079/
By a stream in a park:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11932820/
At a lookout:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11765163/

I leave it where enough people will find it.
Profile Image
telling us in the forums that it is illegal in National Parks, but that was a long time ago, and I'm not 100% sure of the rules.
Profile Image
If there's an existing bookshelf, I'd say sure - and a waiting area such as a laundry room would also seem like a good release spot, unless there's no place to leave the books where they wouldn't be in the way of the normal use of the space. [If the only surface is the laundry-sorting table, I wouldn't leave books there, but if there's an end table or magazine rack or even a window ledge, that might do.]

I do recall concerns about National Park releases, especially if the books were left lying around in places where they'd detract from the experience; a book-in-a-bag might be a delightful surprise to many people, but if it can be seen halfway across a Civil War battlefield it might just look like litter. If in doubt, definitely ask the park staff - maybe they know of swap-shelves that could use some books. Leaving books at the nearest bus stop to the site might be good; parking lots, too.

If the park includes hiking trails, see if there are huts for hikers; those may very well have book-swap shelves, and even if you don't want to hike up there yourself, you might find a ranger - or other park visitor - who's willing to schlep the books up there.
Profile Image
Another possibility is leaving books at the information desk where you enter the park or campgrounds. I would ask the park rangers if it's okay. If they have room, they might let you put it on the info desk or near the maps.
Profile Image
I've left lots of books in parks both in Canada and the US. I've never had any complaints about it and quite often I have had catches. I think people are actually more open to the experience of finding a book if they are on vacation.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.