corner corner Favorite Authors

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Favorite Authors

I wonder if there is a way to categorize authors on your wishlist so that you can see what books of theirs are available in the general pool, and even add a feature on your wishlist that could parse the search engine for just the copies that are rated as available. I know there is a way to call up the book in the global setting then look for copies that are available, although it is restricted in some cases to versions of the book, and also cumbersome because every rating is listed.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I wonder if there is a way to categorize authors on your wishlist so that you can see what books of theirs are available in the general pool, and even add a feature on your wishlist that could parse the search engine for just the copies that are rated as available. I know there is a way to call up the book in the global setting then look for copies that are available, although it is restricted in some cases to versions of the book, and also cumbersome because every rating is listed.
Profile Image
Hi, sorgtorg. There's no such feature at present, though you could request one in the Features forum if you wanted. However, there really aren't resources to make any serious changes to site features at present, and that one's rather controversial in any case. It sounds as though you're asking for an easier way to "shop" for books on other BCers' shelves, and that's not really what the site is for. (While some BCers use the "available" status to mean "available for trade requests", not everyone does, and even those who are willing to trade may have limits such as "within my country only".)

There *is* the "advanced search" feature, which lets you search by title/author keywords as well as by specific status, and you can sort the results by location, which - for very large numbers of books - might help limit the books-in-your-part-of-the-world to a more manageable number. But even then, you'd have to read the entries on each book to see if the final JEs indicated that they really were available for trade, and you should check the person's profile for any other comments about trade options before contacting them.

If you haven't already explored the "Random Acts of BookCrossing Kindness" forum, you might give that a try; you can offer or request trades there, and sometimes people participate in games or giveaways where they offer to fill people's wishes. Good luck!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.