corner corner You don't know what you have....Let's try harder

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

You don't know what you have....Let's try harder

I try to be a conscientious consumer, hate Amazon.com, Big Chains, etc. But, I have to admit, I don't buy very many labels at the supply store. After Heather's post, like many of us, I went to the Supply store and placed on order. I will try very hard to make a quarterly order, not much, just what the budget allows. It would be helpful though if the create your own labels had some guidlines, like SIZE that the picture will be, and suggested jpeg mb range.

Any other suggestions, thoughts out there?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I try to be a conscientious consumer, hate Amazon.com, Big Chains, etc. But, I have to admit, I don't buy very many labels at the supply store. After Heather's post, like many of us, I went to the Supply store and placed on order. I will try very hard to make a quarterly order, not much, just what the budget allows. It would be helpful though if the create your own labels had some guidlines, like SIZE that the picture will be, and suggested jpeg mb range.

Profile Image

I had never used the donation part of the store before and it is so easy to donate. I will continue to use a mixture of homemade labels and supply store ones and in future will donate when ever I make my own labels. Bookcrossing is important to me and I hate to see Bruce and Heather struggling because of bookcrossing. Sometimes we forget how much it cost to run a site like this.
Profile Image
I think that donations are a good way to go, as all of the money goes to the site - and there's no postage, which means that BCers around the world can chip in whenever they're able. [I do buy a lot of bookplates and stickers and such from the supply store as well.]

Another thing that might help would be a push to get articles in newspapers/magazines/blogs about BookCrossing; it does turn up here and there, but more publicity might spark more members (and more catches, which wouldn't hurt either {grin}).

And wild-releasing is important, in my opinion - if someone hears about BookCrossing but doesn't see any recent activity on the hunting pages for their area they're likely to lose interest. (In some areas a more active meetup presence might help too, but in others it may not be practical, and not all BCers are interested in face-to-face meetings.)
Profile Image
Another thing that might help would be a push to get articles in newspapers/magazines/blogs about BookCrossing; it does turn up here and there, but more publicity might spark more members (and more catches, which wouldn't hurt either {grin}).

I had already sent in stuff to our local paper about BC and WBN. Others might send in the info in their area. The local paper is interested in the WBN aspect. Ah well, I'll just have yto paper their area some more with books.

And yes, I got some extra wings with my laabels, and I added a small donation, keeping in mind the cost of a cup of coffee nowadays.
Profile Image
I've re-upped my own wings for a year a bit ahead of schedule, and winged a few people. Once my own finances allow for it, I plan to "troll" the newly registered members list, find some newbies who are active, and then wing them. Might get them hooked on wings, too. :)

No store bought stuff for me until the EU store opens, but I do like lytteltonwitch's idea of donating a bit to BC each time I print my own labels. I think I'll do that, too. :)
Profile Image
It would be helpful though if the create your own labels had some guidlines, like SIZE that the picture will be, and suggested jpeg mb range.

I found this in the FAQs:

Q138:
What size should my images be to be used in the Bookplate Creator?

For the vertical templates and for the horizontal template with the image to the left and the text to the right, most any size square image works; the Bookplate Creator will resize it (and it will stay square) We'd advise you to choose images that are at least 400 x 400 pixels, to ensure good quality.
For the horizontal template with the wide image on top, a good size is 1200 x 330 pixels. That size has the correct aspect ratio, so nothing gets cut off when the image is resized as the label is generated.
Profile Image
Q138:

Of Course!!!! Q138!! I should have Known!!! (sorry, the reference to "Back to the Future" just slipped out)

Thanks, I really have tried to read through all the info, but that one didn't sift into the hopper.
Profile Image
Oh boy! Oh Boy! I finally designed a 'good' label!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookplates
Thanks Moem!

eta: okay, that link takes you to YOUR bookshelf. But if you look at recently made, fat brindle tabby, with 'you know you want me' as caption.
Profile Image

Oh, yes. I love it! Well done.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookplates
fat brindle tabby, with 'you know you want me' as caption.

Love the label and love the cat!
Profile Image
And when I went to check it out, I saw World Book Night bookplates, so bought a supply of those (since I will be a WBN giver) and a few... other things as well.
Profile Image
I unfortunately missed a typo on my first World Book Night labels before uploading, so have created a new one :)
Profile Image
eta: okay, that link takes you to YOUR bookshelf. But if you look at recently made, fat brindle tabby, with 'you know you want me' as caption.

Wow, quietorchid, that custom label you made is so cute! And that's a genius caption.

For those who don't want to scroll through all the options from the past week, here's a link that seems to work:

http://tinyurl.com/dybynqs

I don't know whether you can actually order it using this link from tinyurl--but at least you can see it this way.
Profile Image
For those who don't want to scroll through all the options from the past week, here's a link that seems to work:

http://tinyurl.com/dybynqs

I don't know whether you can actually order it using this link from tinyurl--but at least you can see it this way.

Oh thanks! I don't know why my attempt didn't work, and lately I've been having problems with tiny url. BTW, 'Allie' is the culprit if you ever get a book from me with corner punctures. At 7 she still chews on things. We should have named her 'Sunny' after the toddler in Lemony Snickett's series.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.