corner corner Mistreatment of travelling books.

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Mistreatment of travelling books.

Originally posted this on my own Intro thread since I didn't realise there were more boards available under the language-specific ones. :)

---

I checked up on one of my bookbombs today, and was shocked and kind of angry to realise that someone had picked it up from where it was, and literally thrown it over a ~6-foot fence into an abandoned lot. It's going to get sun- and potentially rain-damaged there because it's only in a thin freezer bag that's not designed for rough handling, and I have no idea if the bag ripped when it landed.

I just ... can't fathom who would bother to pick up a book, only to throw it? Why not just leave it there? It had post-it notes all over the front saying that it was free to take home, and was neatly wrapped and obviously not trash, so why wouldn't they just leave it alone if they didn't want it?

It was enough to make me only want to release books in the reserve (where people often go to just walk or exercise or play with their kids) from now on, not on the streets, because people on the streets seem to treat these books much more unkindly; I don't know why. It upset me, though.

I knew that I might release a book and never hear of it again, and I was prepared for that. But this is the first time I've had to consider that I need a tough skin to handle seeing my books being mistreated out in the wild. :(

Maybe that sounds silly, but it was a really low point of my day today, seeing that ...

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Originally posted this on my own Intro thread since I didn't realise there were more boards available under the language-specific ones. :)

---

I checked up on one of my bookbombs today, and was shocked and kind of angry to realise that someone had picked it up from where it was, and literally thrown it over a ~6-foot fence into an abandoned lot. It's going to get sun- and potentially rain-damaged there because it's only in a thin freezer bag that's not designed for rough handling, and I have no idea if the bag ripped when it landed.

I just ... can't fathom who would bother to pick up a book, only to throw it? Why not just leave it there? It had post-it notes all over the front saying that it was free to take home, and was neatly wrapped and obviously not trash, so why wouldn't they just leave it alone if they didn't want it?

It was enough to make me only want to release books in the reserve (where people often go to just walk or exercise or play with their kids) from now on, not on the streets, because people on the streets seem to treat these books much more unkindly; I don't know why. It upset me, though.

I knew that I might release a book and never hear of it again, and I was prepared for that. But this is the first time I've had to consider that I need a tough skin to handle seeing my books being mistreated out in the wild. :(

Maybe that sounds silly, but it was a really low point of my day today, seeing that ...
Profile Image
It does make you sick, doesn't it. But the flip side is sometimes the book in the right place will make a real difference to a person. So I guess I have become resigned to the maltreatment of some of my books. But it always bothers me...
Profile Image
It does make you sick, doesn't it. But the flip side is sometimes the book in the right place will make a real difference to a person. So I guess I have become resigned to the maltreatment of some of my books. But it always bothers me...

That's true; maybe in five years' time, this one will end up in the hands of a construction worker who's never read Tolkien before! :) I can only hope for the best.
Profile Image
I won't give up releasing because of a few bad experiences, as I think of all the many books that have been caught and read and enjoyed and cherished.
Profile Image
I won't give up releasing because of a few bad experiences, as I think of all the many books that have been caught and read and enjoyed and cherished.

Yar, that's the first of my (nearly 30) releases that I've seen being so obviously mistreated; there was another where someone had opened the bag but not closed it again, but they hadn't damaged or moved the book in any way, so I just resealed the bag and moved on.

I won't stop releasing either, I just might need to pick my areas a little more carefully. :)
Profile Image
It was enough to make me only want to release books in the reserve

The only wild-released book of mine I ever saw ruined was left on a bridge over a wetlands area that's mainly frequented by nature-lovers. The next time I went walking there I saw it in its official BC plastic bag under the bridge (where I wasn't able to retrieve it, as it's an area of shallow water hundreds of feet wide that people aren't supposed to enter).

I got a release note where someone wrote that the "poor book" had been taken out of its official BC plastic bag and thrown off the WWI cannon where I'd put it, but fortunately I wasn't a witness to the mistreatment.

Both these events put me off wild-releasing for a while, but I eventually got over it.
Profile Image
It was enough to make me only want to release books in the reserve

The only wild-released book of mine I ever saw ruined was left on a bridge over a wetlands area that's mainly frequented by nature-lovers. The next time I went walking there I saw it in its official BC plastic bag under the bridge (where I wasn't able to retrieve it, as it's an area of shallow water hundreds of feet wide that people aren't supposed to enter).

I got a release note where someone wrote that the "poor book" had been taken out of its official BC plastic bag and thrown off the WWI cannon where I'd put it, but fortunately I wasn't a witness to the mistreatment.

Both these events put me off wild-releasing for a while, but I eventually got over it.

Oh, that's horrible, I'm sorry to hear it. :S I guess it's just a matter of chance as to what happens.
Profile Image
I don't know of this happening to any of my books, but then I wouldn't probably know. That book would just be a book I would never hear from again. The only potential (mild) damage that I know of that might have happened to one of my books was one I left in a garden on a showery day. It was found (and rescued) a few days later moved to another spot nearby. The bag had condensation in it, which likely means whoever moved the book opened the sealed bag and didn't close it properly, allowing moisture inside.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8395169/
Profile Image
Oh, I'm glad yours was rescued. :) When I went out today, I had a definite mind to protect my two latest bookbombs, so I'd pre-wrapped them in freezer bags, and also brought along two snaplock bags just in case I ended up releasing them in areas where they were likely to fall into water (I was walking alongside a creek). I figure you can never wrap them up enough!
Profile Image
I am, sadly, still able to see (and unable to rescue) the book I mentioned, that was thrown over the fence. Weeds are running rampant in that property, and I'm worried the book will be completely overgrown and never found again. o_O

I'm tempted to contact the council to find out who owns the property and ask if I can enter and retrieve it legally, so I can release it elsewhere...
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11446768/

Click on (recently added) plastic bag photograph. It's not only humans to worry about.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.