corner corner Tips on using your mobile phone for bookcrossing

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Tips on using your mobile phone for bookcrossing

Please share your tips on using your mobile phone for bookcrossing. This should keep us occupied while we wait for a BC App to be developed. Please state what phone you use and what you have discovered that helps in using the BC site more effectively.

Thanks to swan-scot I discovered that you could grab the html of a photo on flickr and copy it into the release notes thus making it unnecessary to upload a photo to bookcrossing.com. I then learnt that if I got the flickr App for my iPhone I could upload a release photo to flickr as soon as I had a Wifi connection. This means I can do release notes with a photo while away from home.

I have an iPhone 4S but I am sure this should work with other iPhones and perhaps other smart phones too. Give it a go and let others know.

This is a release I did in that way http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11371708

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Please share your tips on using your mobile phone for bookcrossing. This should keep us occupied while we wait for a BC App to be developed. Please state what phone you use and what you have discovered that helps in using the BC site more effectively.

Thanks to swan-scot I discovered that you could grab the html of a photo on flickr and copy it into the release notes thus making it unnecessary to upload a photo to bookcrossing.com. I then learnt that if I got the flickr App for my iPhone I could upload a release photo to flickr as soon as I had a Wifi connection. This means I can do release notes with a photo while away from home.

I have an iPhone 4S but I am sure this should work with other iPhones and perhaps other smart phones too. Give it a go and let others know.

This is a release I did in that way http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11371708/
Profile Image
Another tip is to make sure you have established a suitable default release note in your BC profile before going out on a trip. This will save you a lot of typing on small keyboards and I assume works with any smartphone.
Profile Image
The website is not really friendly for devices without mouses because of all the drop-down menus. I've tried using my dad's HTC to log in, and managed to do it, but had a helluva time trying to get into forums, or anything else located within the drop-down menus. I was happy to see the "Select Filters..." (for book categories) stay on the screen during scrolling. Thumbs up for that!

I think, once I get my own smartphone, I'll send myself email links to all the relevant sub-menus and then add them into bookmarks once I've opened them via those links. It's just too much hassle getting into them the "ordinary" way. *grin*
Profile Image
The drop down menus are not really a problem on my iPhone (I simply zoom in on that area) but the bookmarking idea sounds a good workaround for phones where this is a problem.
Profile Image
I hav the BC site saved to my bookmarks and then placed a widget on one of my home screens. it takes me directly to the forums, so I just zoom and click on what I want...

Like Ardachy I zoom on the areas.... I usually make my controlled release notes via my phone since I take them to the PO at lunch. Yes I could use my work laptop, but don't want my boss to think I'm not working ;)

It is a bit aggravating but not too bad, then again, like the iPhone, mine is touch screen.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.