corner corner I sure would like a return of the neon orange stcky notes!

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I sure would like a return of the neon orange stcky notes!

They were *visible,* unlike the insipidly pale yellow ones that are now the only offering...Plus I loved the great big PICK ME UP. Please offer these again, bookstore!!!!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
They were *visible,* unlike the insipidly pale yellow ones that are now the only offering...Plus I loved the great big PICK ME UP. Please offer these again, bookstore!!!!
Profile Image
The ziplock bags are so useful for doing wild releases. I sometimes used them not only for outdoors releases, but anywhere where the conditions were "iffy," that way the book stayed nice and tidy and a finder could feel better about what they were picking up.
Profile Image
Yes! Releasebags are the best! But I made my own. Deepswamp helped me print out flyers to put in the bag. Then I bought zip-lock-bags from the grocerystore. Doesn't look quite as professional, I suppose, but they work. :-)
Profile Image
yeah, sigh, I really loved the release bags, too. I use just zip-locks from the store (especially for all the recent bad-weather snap releases), but they don't look nearly as nice or eye-catching as the ones with ballycumber. And I worry that people will be less likely to realize it's there for someone to pick up... adding a flyer sounds like a good idea...can you tell us more about yours E?
Profile Image
Well... I'm not quite sure how Deepswamp did them. I'm not really technical myself. But I think she pretty much scanned Ballycumber from a different piece of paper and then just added a piece of text on top. (she picked the text "I'm not lost!") She made it sound really easy, and said you can pretty much have any text you wish.
Profile Image
Doing releasebags:
Copy or scan the picture, insert the text you want. Make a A4 with 2 picture/text on, print and cut to 2, put them in a plastic bags!
Profile Image
Me too but meanwhile I have resorted to making my own release bags and bookmarks.
http://www.flickr.com/---/7113786005/
Profile Image
Me too but meanwhile I have resorted to making my own release bags and bookmarks.

Yours look great - I should try that...but it's hard to beat the convenience of the official ones.

Profile Image
those look great, ardachy! I admit, I never thought to print labels for the baggies. (not that I've quite mastered labels printing correctly), but....the bags are to protect from weather, don't print-yourself labels run and fade in the rain? Do you put all in each bag?
Profile Image
The labels are much more weather resistant than I feared although not as good as the official bags obviously. I found one that had been under the snow for a few days and it was still OK. I always include a bookmark in each bag and this varies depending on where I am releasing.
Profile Image

you should post those pics on here i love all the pictures of the release you did. Can you add pictures on this site when you make a release? That be helpful for people if you could kinda fun too
Profile Image
Can you add pictures on this site when you make a release?

Yes, you can add a picture to a journal entry and to a release note.
Profile Image
What kind of ziplock do you use? Mine tend to leak, and I don't want to trust a book to such iffy protection.
Profile Image
I really wanted some release bags for an activity I am doing outside. I can't believe they're no longer available.
Profile Image
ACE-W, I've sent you a PM.
Profile Image
but I would love to see them available in a smaller size *as well as* the current size.
Profile Image
imho, the yellow just doesn't stand out. Still, it is better than nothing.....

And as I sit here pondering the size.... I've liked the size, as it can be seen and easily read....but a smaller sticky note....hmmm....I can see the advantage on books where I don't want to cover too much up.
Profile Image
I liked the orange ones, too. But I don't need a smaller size; the existing ones are only sticky on one edge, so I can attach them to the edge of the cover without obscuring it, and with part of the note flapping free - adds to the attention-getting factor if there's a breeze! [If there's more than a breeze the note could actually blow off, but in weather that windy I either bag the books or leave them in more sheltered locations.]

I've been considering getting a plain old rubber stamp made up with the basic "Take me, I'm yours!" kind of text, for use on whatever sticky-notes I have on hand. I'd still get the official ones, but a stamp would make it easier to use different colors and shapes of sticky-notes without having to hand-write the message.
Profile Image
I liked the orange ones, too. But I don't need a smaller size; the existing ones are only sticky on one edge, so I can attach them to the edge of the cover without obscuring it, and with part of the note flapping free - adds to the attention-getting factor if there's a breeze! [If there's more than a breeze the note could actually blow off, but in weather that windy I either bag the books or leave them in more sheltered locations.]

I've been considering getting a plain old rubber stamp made up with the basic "Take me, I'm yours!" kind of text, for use on whatever sticky-notes I have on hand. I'd still get the official ones, but a stamp would make it easier to use different colors and shapes of sticky-notes without having to hand-write the message.

I've purchased neon green Avery labels (05971) that are 2 5/8" x 1" and added the text:
"I'm Free!
I'm not lost!
(see inside for more details)
www.bookcrossing.com"

These are pretty small and I try and place them on the cover, at an angle, for maximum visibility.
Profile Image
and on each one I write: This book is FREE for whoever finds it!

Works well for me.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.