corner corner Little Free Library

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Little Free Library

I was reading about the Little Free Library in The Times-Picayune and was wondering if anybody had ever left a bookcrossing book in one before? I am thinking about getting back into bookcrossing.com and am thinking about leaving a few books in the one in Algiers, LA.

Little Free Library web-site: http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/---/index.html

The Times-Picayune web-site: http://www.nola.com/---/little_library_in_algiers_neig.html

Complete Thread

Previous  1 2  

Profile Image
My Little Free Library is now stocked. Some neighbors added books, but no one has taken any out (except me!). How can I encourage others to take my books?

My husband created a flagstone path onto our lawn so that people wouldn't avoid the LFL for fear of walking on a neighbor's/stranger's lawn!

Inside the LFL:
I have information about Little Free Library in a plastic covered folder. I have cards about BookCrossing in the LFL. I also have a Guest Book in which my neighbors have written comments.

I guess I just have to have patience until the LFL is discovered by more people who are unafraid to take the books! :(
Profile Image
I put a small sticker sign on mine( on the door glass) that no book exchange was needed and they were free books as I was finding that they thought that they had to contribute a book or return one in order to take one.

Since I did that more people are stopping by and taking books and leaving some as well. I have all BC books in the box and when people leave books I register them and return them to the LFL.

It did take about 3 weeks before I had my first guest so it can take some time.

Good luck with yours, I love mine!
Profile Image
I have all BC books in the box and when people leave books I register them and return them to the LFL.

...so is yours an Official BookCrossing Zone?

I put a small sticker sign on mine( on the door glass) that no book exchange was needed and they were free books as I was finding that they thought that they had to contribute a book or return one in order to take one.

That's a good idea. I might put such a sign up after I get the official wooden sign from LFL.

Profile Image
I have all BC books in the box and when people leave books I register them and return them to the LFL.

Do any visitors leaving books at your LFL object to your registering them at BookCrossing?

The one good thing about registering a book at BookCrossing and labeling it is that it (usually) keeps it from being sold.

Do you use the Little Free Library labels? I've been putting those on the inside back cover of my books (which keeps the inside front cover from getting too crowded with "stuff"). Most of my released books also have a black ink stamp from The Book Thing of Baltimore on the first page.
Profile Image
I suspect patience is all you'll need. I was lucky enough to have books taken and given within hours of stocking the library. And interest has just grown, so that books come and go all the time now.

In the beginning, I had put several leaflets (downloaded from links provided by LFL) as well as BookCrossing bookmarks in the box, but it appeared nobody took them or read them, so eventually I just took them out. The only thing that is readily apparent to passers by is the official LFL sign - and because my LFL is 20 feet from the road, unless you've got good eyesight you really wouldn't be able to read it from there. I also have a BC window clingy on the door/window.

I use both BC and the LFL stickers on the books, though not consistently. Some books will have both, some one or the other and some none (other than a BC label inside the cover). I do register with BC most of the adult books and a few of the children's books that I find in the LFL, but lots arrive and disappear before I get a chance to do that. So far, no one has objected to me doing that. Mind you no one has told me which books he or she has donated anyway. I never see them being donated, although people have told me that they have donated or will.

I have tried to guess what books people will want, but the truth is anything goes. People have brought and taken what *I* think are the most unlikely things. :)

I am hardly ever home, so people have had to just discover it and make of it what they will on their own. When I have been outside in the yard, people have asked questions, such as:

Do I have to put stickers on the books I donate and where do I get them?
Is it true the books are free?
I didn't bring a book to trade, can I bring one later?
Can *anybody* just take these books?
What if somebody took them all? Do the books ever get depleted down to nothing?
What kind of books do you want people to put in there?

I've had people tell me that they've walked or biked past it often and wondered what it was (some just assumed that it was a big mailbox) until they saw someone else take a book out, then they realized they could too.

Inevitably, if someone has stopped to talk to me, it attracts a crowd of other passers-by all eager to get in on the conversation.

I have found that the most active borrowing occurs between the time I last check on it in the evening and the first time I check on it before I leave for work in the morning. There is almost always new books and gaps on the shelves in the morning. Weekends are always busy too.

I have also found that while I am the "official" steward, there are some secret caretakers out there. I have come home in the evening to find the box all tidied, with books organized by size and/or format and/or genre. I have no idea who is doing this - no one has ever fessed up. But I do love that the neighbourhood has taken ownership of this little library.

So, I guess my hint is to relax; your little library will take on a life of its own no matter what you do. :)
Profile Image
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me all about your experience with Little Free Library. I'm sure it's going to be very much fun for me to be the steward of my own.

Plus...my sign came today! :)
Profile Image
So, I guess my hint is to relax; your little library will take on a life of its own no matter what you do. :)

My LFL has been up and running for about six weeks now. It's really fun. I can tell that at least one person stops by each day from gaps in the books (as you said) and new books left. I have to learn to stop overstuffing my LFL with BC-registered books so that there is actually room for others to leave some books. :)

A second fun project that we started was that my husband volunteered to build a LFL for authorauthor, another local Bookcrosser. That LFL is almost done and will soon be going up in Alexandria, Virginia. We're keeping its appearance a secret for now, and will send the picture of it to authorauthor first before going to her home to install it. My husband and I are only sorry that it will be so far away from us that we won't get to see it often. That's not a problem, though, as we know that authorauthor will be an excellent LFL steward.
Profile Image
Came across my very first LFL today - in Iceland. As luck would have it, I actually did have a book I'd just finished with me. This LFL looks great - in a lovely park by a lake surrounded by people enjoying the sunshine. A bonus is it saves me having to carry the book around on a tour of Iceland that starts tomorrow!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/734054
Profile Image
Beautiful setting!
Profile Image
Came across my very first LFL today - in Iceland. As luck would have it, I actually did have a book I'd just finished with me. This LFL looks great - in a lovely park by a lake surrounded by people enjoying the sunshine. A bonus is it saves me having to carry the book around on a tour of Iceland that starts tomorrow!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/734054

Looks like you're having a great time. :)
Profile Image
I came across this on-line news article about Little Free Libraries in Winnipeg (I'm aware of at least seven now) with a little plug for BookCrossing:

http://www.communitynewscommons.org/---/gifts-that-keep-on-giving/

And here's the book that Little Free Library #2873 released into Little Free Library #5611:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11271127/

I didn't actually see Gracie Sweet Story when I dropped by. In fact, the scuttlebutt is that it is author Daria Salamon (The Prairie Bridesmaid), who is Little Free Library #5611's steward. Mind you, that could just be a rumour spread by Gracie herself. :)

I was scratching my head a bit about the reference to a project called "Free as a Bird", but then realized that wording came from the label I'd used to register the book. :) As they've got the link to BookCrossing, I'm not going to contact anyone to correct that. I rather like the quirkiness of it all. :)

So much fun!
Profile Image
They came out yesterday and took pictures of the LFL and the story was on the front page of the local paper today, it is a HUGE picture and great article.

You can see the story here:
http://www.parispi.net/---/doc5214e8c459e26843088753.txt
Profile Image
It's been up and running since July and is terrific!

The pace is slow, as I average about one visitor a day. One day last week, though, several people stopped by and left 14 book there! I had to take some out so the LFL wasn't too stuffed.

I had some mischief at Halloween, when (I presume kids) stole my Guest Book and a handmade pottery cup that was holding bookmarks. I got over my disappointment.

Now my LFL has its own FB page at https://www.facebook.com/LittleFreeLibrary7720Twinbrook

I also convinced Tim, founder of LibraryThing to create a special data base both for BookCrossing and LibraryThing. Please check it out and, more importantly, use it. You can find it at:
http://www.librarything.com/---/littlelibraries/

This is my LFL's Bookshelf:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/733341

My husband built a LFL for fellow BookCrosser authorauthor. That LFL is also up and running! Here it is:
https://www.facebook.com/LittleFreeLibraryOfAlexandriaAndHancock?...

Last, but not least, (and I said I wouldn't do this...)
I'm compulsively registering at BookCrossing all the books that I place and others leave in my LFL. I think LFLs are a BookCrosser's delight.

If any BookCrosser needs help with starting up an LFL, please let me know. I'll be glad to help you out.

Hey! This is fun!! :D

Profile Image
I'm compulsively registering at BookCrossing all the books that I place and others leave in my LFL. I think LFLs are a BookCrosser's delight.

Aren't they though!

We have snow now in Manitoba and it makes me smile when I get up in the morning and before I can get out to shovel the driveway there are already footprints in the snow at the LFL. :)
Profile Image

Aren't they though!

We have snow now in Manitoba and it makes me smile when I get up in the morning and before I can get out to shovel the driveway there are already footprints in the snow at the LFL. :)

I know I'll be excited to see that as well...although I'm really *not* wishing for snow. :)
Profile Image
before I can get out to shovel the driveway there are already footprints in the snow at the LFL. :)

Awwww. That's so nice!
Profile Image
It's been up and running since July and is terrific!

That's so wonderful! Wish I could put one up where I live, but alas... : (
Profile Image
Our local paper, The Calgary Herald, just did a nice article on LFLs. Here is the link:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/---/story.html

Also, just today, I established a Facebook Group called Little Free Library Calgary.

I hope to raise the awareness and the traffic to my own LFL, which I am loving! I add both BC registered and non-registered books, but I have not had any journal entries, except for from other wonderful BookCrossers!

Yay - books rule!
Profile Image
Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing - I love reading about everyone's LFLs.
Profile Image
Our local paper, The Calgary Herald, just did a nice article on LFLs. Here is the link:

Also, just today, I established a Facebook Group called Little Free Library Calgary.

I hope to raise the awareness and the traffic to my own LFL, which I am loving! I add both BC registered and non-registered books, but I have not had any journal entries, except for from other wonderful BookCrossers!

Yay - books rule!
Profile Image

Were you thinking of also creating a Facebook page for your own LFL? I made one for my own LFL. I think it helped a little to increase traffic, but not as much as I was hoping. However, I have been able to spread the word about BookCrossing there, though, so all is not for naught! :)

I know you're going to have fun with your new LFL. Enjoy! As you probably already know, BookCrossers really delight in these! :D

Profile Image

Yay - books rule!
Profile Image
About mid last year I was browsing a copy of Ponsonby news in a cafe where I discovered a piece about a LFL that was not too far from my apartment. It's not officially registered but I like dropping off books there (I normally drop off 5 or so books and take a 1 or 2 myself).
Last time I was up there dropping books off a woman was walking past and stopped to talk to me about what I was doing. I showed her the two books I had chosen and mentioned that I try to leave books there on a semi-regular basis.
I've had a couple of catches from books that I have left there which has made me smile.
Profile Image
When I first read about Little Free Libraries about a year ago, I got super excited because I thought it would go hand in hand with BookCrossing! Then I got sad because there weren't any locations near me (and my house isn't a very suitable location). I filed it away under "cool stuff" in my head and kind of forgot about it.

For some reason, I remembered it the other day and checked the LFL map and found that there are now several LFL locations near me! One is a block away from the farmers' market I go to every week and there's another one on my way home from work. I dug up some BC books and stopped by the one closest to my house last night after work.

It's a nice big LFL with three shelves and it has solar lights to light it at night, which was great since the sun had already gone down by the time I got there. I left three BC books and took home one. Without the solar lights, I wouldn't have been able to see any of the titles, so for anyone who has their own LFL, please consider adding some kind of lighting (even if it's just a strand of solar lights) if the location isn't well lit at night. The steward left a note asking people to leave an LFL sticker on books that they leave, and there were a few sheets of stickers on the top shelf.

After I read the book I took from this LFL, I am planning to drop it off at the LFL near the farmers' market. There are two more LFLs that are not exactly on my way home from work but not too much of a detour so I am excited to check those out too!
Profile Image
Or call it a mini-OBCZ if you prefer. Here's a pic:
http://www.klabru.nl/---/buitenbieb.jpg Stoneshop helped me install it today.
I'm putting the books in tomorrow!

It's not registered on the LFL website, because it costs $35 to register and I'm not quite *that* keen. I'm going to set up a BC bookshelf for it though. At least that's free! :-)
Profile Image
That is great! Do post another photo when it is fully stocked and labelled. A link to the zone would also be nice. I would love to create a LFL but I do not currently live in a suitable property.
Profile Image
Do post another photo when it is fully stocked and labelled. A link to the zone would also be nice.

Here you go: http://www.klabru.nl/---/buitenbieb2.jpg
And
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/749099
Profile Image
Filled with books it suddenly looks alive :-) Very nicely done.
Profile Image
Oh Moem, it's gorgeous! I want to visit it! Mine continues to bring me joy every single day. I wish the same for you as I am sure will happen. :)
Profile Image
I love it, well done! Hope you get lots of interest in it.
Profile Image
Thanks Moem, I love the sign and the whole thing looks brilliant. I see SqueakyChu has already added it here http://www.librarything.com/---/OBCZ-Zuidspoor Please may I add your photo?
Profile Image
Wow, that's brilliant, yes of course please go ahead and add the picture!
Profile Image
Looks fantastic! Hope it gets lots of visitors..
Profile Image
Adorable! Have great fun with it!!
Profile Image
Congrats! How is it going so far?
Profile Image
Thank you! Pretty great actually... the first three books have disappeared :-D
Profile Image
the first three books have disappeared

Hurray!! :)
Profile Image
Thanks for sharing. And I wish you much luck with catches!
Profile Image
Thanks to "quietorchid", I just got drawn into the LFL movement. I can't think of better allies in BX's concept ... we send books on holiday trips, and LFL's are their travel agents! ;)

Instead of releasing at coffee houses, laundromats, playgrounds, and parks, as I have been doing since I started BXing in 2003, I have decided to concentrate this summer's releases in the hundreds of LFL's in the 7-county Twin Cities Metro. I have mapped them all out from LFL sources on the Internet. My philosophy is to:

(1) At active LFL's with an average supply of books, I take 2 or 3 and leave 6 or 8.
(2) At physically intact LFL's with few books, I leave as many books as seems helpful, while leaving room for trades and keeping titles easily visible.
(3) At overcrowded LFL's with books stuffed every-which-way, I take away and discard any badly damaged books, clean out and rearrange the books that are there so that titles can be read, and leave a couple of eye-catchers to create some attention.
(4) At damaged LFL's, I try to at least temporarily fix broken windows (I keep tape in the car), discard any remaining books that are damaged/soaked through beyond redemption, and place at least a few books if I can find safe places within the LFL where they won't get ruined.

The books that I take in trade for what I leave end up getting repaired, if necessary, and filled into other LFL's that can use them.

I'm already seeing books I released last month starting to be reported back, and at least a couple of new BXers signing on with Bookcrossing. Every time I encounter owners/caretakers of individual LFL's, I explain who BXers are, and I have yet to encounter any one who was unhappy with our cooperation. Often if the owner comes up while I'm releasing books, I invite them to select books from my carfull that they'd like to see released in their LFL.

It's a great group of people!

Profile Image
pjlareauwing...

You sound like the Little Free Library good fairy! I'll bet you're having tons of fun.

Wouldn't you like to have a Little Free Library of your own, though? :)
Profile Image
pjlareau... You are the best patron ever!!! You can come to my LFL anytime!

I love your philosphy.

And, I didn't know until I spotted your profile that there was a place called Little Canada. How cool is that!
Profile Image
I have released in a couple of LFLs before, but don't recall that I've gotten any catches.

However, because of your post I went online and made a list of all the local LFLs (ten) plus one I saw the other day in front of an elementary school, plus one I saw an ad for in a free neighborhood paper.

It LOOKS like a LFL but it calls itself a "Neighborhood Library House." The ad says "Have a book. Leave a book. Need a book. Take a book." So I will.

Will report back after I have a chance to check out all twelve. Thanks for the inspiration!
Profile Image
We have 4 LFLs I can get to easily (one unregistered, but set up by another BookCrosser) and then at least another 3 in the area. I'm with PJLareau in the "help them out" arena. One nonBookCrosser owner of one of the LFLs asked for a permanent link to BookCrossing, so they are now a OBCZ. It seems like they, along with OBCZs should be able to remain on the Go Hunting page permanently, as they function like an OBCZ though not under our auspices. Wonder if that's possible to do? Or to make a LFL symbol for those not OBCZs?
Profile Image

What?!

This kid's LFL is going to be shut down. Ridiculous!

http://m.kmbc.com/---/26552394
Profile Image
The LFL I built for a community garden in Chicago was vandalized!

My mom and I stopped by yesterday to check out how it has been doing since I was able to stop by last in mid July, to see that someone had pried the door off and taken the plexiglass!
Profile Image

Oh that's a bummer! Some people really suck :-(
Profile Image

What a pity. I would report that act of vandalism to authorities.
Profile Image
I left two books there!
Profile Image
I have found 2 of these LFL's in Streatham, London SW16, recently. I plan to build one myself once we have finished renovating the house. I have fed both this week with a handful of books each.

Previous  1 2  

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.