corner corner Little Free Library

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Nice pics! [The only way to post them in the forums is to put them on some shareable site like Flickr or Photobucket and post the links here, but putting them in the release notes is a great idea - future finders can actually see where they came from, and potential book-hunters will know what to look for {grin}.]

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
I was reading about the Little Free Library in The Times-Picayune and was wondering if anybody had ever left a bookcrossing book in one before? I am thinking about getting back into bookcrossing.com and am thinking about leaving a few books in the one in Algiers, LA.

Little Free Library web-site: http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/index.html

The Times-Picayune web-site: http://www.nola.com/---/little_library_in_algiers_neig.html
Profile Image
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I had not heard of these before but are a similar to the 'Telephone Box Libraries' in the UK. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/470655/

If I could find the right site for one I would be tempted to start one as an OBCZ.
Profile Image
Now I want one. Meshes perfectly with BookCrossing.
Profile Image
Completely adorable. If only I could think of a place to put one!
Profile Image
I am going to try and build one since they are so pricy. Once I get it done and registered with them I will post a picture for you all to see. I have a spot in front of my house that will be perfect. We live in a resort area and people are always driving around on golf carts and they will be able to drive up to the box and select a BC book!
Profile Image
I will post a picture for you all to see.

Let us know. We have 2 in this area, but $400- $600 to give away books? When an article came out here last summer I thought it really cool, but then I went to the site and saw the cost (the price may have come way done since july, I see they now offer a crate for $250 while supplies last). Wow. I thought, okay, I'll just continue to use newspaper bags to protect the books from the weather.
Profile Image
I figure that I can build one for less than $50 installed which is WAY cheaper than the 250+ they are asking for.
Profile Image
You can make it your own personal tiny OBCZ!
Profile Image
Probably good for the neighbourhood as well. A positve spot for everyone to gather around. If I had a lawn I would find a way to put one up myself.
Profile Image
Someone just opened up the first Little Free Library in Winnipeg, MB, last week, and already someone has left a Bookcrossing book there! I will go myself and check it out this week. What a great idea.
Profile Image
Oh tee hee, it was I who released the book at the LFL in Winnipeg. I had ulterior motives. I am currently building a Little Free Library. I've long wanted to do this and then when a friend offered to help me build it, I decided to go for it. When I started, I hadn't known there was one in Winnipeg. I discovered it on the LFL map and decided to go check it out and see how they had put theirs together. It's gorgeous! Mine won't be nearly so fancy, but I'm having fun with it all the same and can hardly wait to "open". A ways to go yet though...even though it's a tiny library, it's a major project for someone with few carpentry skills. :)
Profile Image
Oh, and no permissions required for BookCrossers. :)
Profile Image
Sorry to all for highjacking this thread, but....

lonestranger,
I got your pm a while back and have pmed in response three times now. I'm worried you may not be receiving them. Are you? I've got books waiting for you.
Profile Image
I have set these up as zones and released in them. One journal entry, by the owner of one of the boxes!

See links for pictures of each:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/702196
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/698807
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/698806
Profile Image
Little Free Library in a town nearby and emailed the owner a few weeks ago and explained about BookCrossing, sending her links and other info, and asked it she minded if I released some books there. She said she would review the material, then got back to me and said she preferred that I not, and I respected her wishes, so haven't released there. : (
Profile Image
That sounds very odd; I wonder why she didn't care for the idea of more free books? Unless she had the idea that people would *have* to journal BC books, perhaps. [It wouldn't have occurred to me to ask about leaving books at an LFL, though; if the things are posted on a public web site, and are intentionally placed so that anyone who passes by can take or leave books, I wouldn't think that permission was needed.]

Edited to add: I left a few books in the LFL in Falmouth, which may be the one you're talking about; if the owner expresses any displeasure, feel free to tell her it was me {wry grin}.

Edited again: I knew I'd seen something about BookCrossing on the LFL site itself; it's one of the suggestions on this page:

http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/what-about-the-books.html
Profile Image
I wonder why she didn't care for the idea of more free books? Unless she had the idea that people would *have* to journal BC books, perhaps

I wondered if she thought BC and LFL's are at cross-purposes. Our books are travelling books, after all. After having visited 2, I sort of think they intend their books to be returned. (The 2nd I visited, I took a book - left 2, that's all there was room for - and the book has a stamp in it identifying it as from that LFL. I was conflicted about turning it into a BC book - my original intention, besides reading it - but then I saw the stamp and also realized I already have the book with a different title. So I'll be returning it to the LFL, unread, as soon as I can get back there.)

But I'm not sure how strongly they feel about having the books returned. After all, there's no due date. The 2 LFL's I visited were exact opposites. The first was in a commercial area (in front of a pharmacy), and the first time I was there, there were only 2 lonely kids books in there. (You can be sure I quickly filled it with BC books :) The other was in front of a home, and was chock full of mostly kids books (prob. 75% kids books). I had to squeeze to find space for 2 booka.

I'm looking forward to speaking to either of the folks running these - haven't yet.
Profile Image
I wonder why she didn't care for the idea of more free books? Unless she had the idea that people would *have* to journal BC books, perhaps

I visited one Little Free Library in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA, that requested I return the books! That upset me. I wrote to the LFL website, and it was suggested that the steward was new and that person might have just been "excited" about doing this. I don't plan on using a LFL to which I have to return the same books. For that, I could use my own local library instead! :)

Mary, my dear, I wish you were still alive so I could talk to you about this in person. You were the BookCrosser who took me to see my first Little Free Library in Finksburg, Maryland). :`(

I plan on labeling all books I take or leave in a LFL box with the LFL label. It's small, and I can tape it inside as I do with BC BCID labels. I, too, am conflicted about turning LFL into BC books. I probably will not do so in my own LFL unless I take out some books that I plan to release elsewhere. I don't think all people like having books with BC labels in them so I'll let users of my LFL choose.

Profile Image
Little Free Library in a town nearby and emailed the owner a few weeks ago and explained about BookCrossing, sending her links and other info, and asked it she minded if I released some books there. She said she would review the material, then got back to me and said she preferred that I not, and I respected her wishes, so haven't released there. : (

Over the past year, I have visited five Little Free Libraries in Maryland. I never thought of *not* putting a BC-registered book in a LFL. I would not, however, overwhelm such a LFL with BC-registered books. I usually take two books and put in two. One LFL, I found out later through a BC journal entry, even had a steward who was a registered (and very active) BookCrosser!! That was such a fun and exciting surprise.

My latest news is that my husband agreed to build me (who has no carpentry skills whatsoever) a Little Free Library. I'll post more information about it when it's up and running. He plans to build it to look like a mini-house as we have paint left over from when we painted out own house! :)

I'm pretty sure that LFL itself supports BookCrossing as I saw a link to BookCrossing on the LFL website.

Such fun! More later...

Profile Image
I never thought of *not* putting a BC-registered book in a LFL. I would not, however, overwhelm such a LFL with BC-registered books. I usually take two books and put in two.

It depends. We are approaching LFL fatigue up here in Mn. They are great, I love them, but they are everywhere. When Gypsysmom visted I took her to the LFL where I release LARGE amounts of books (dropped off another 8 last night), as this one is not often refilled at the site. Obviously, this LFL http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/700260
is heavily used, last night there were 5 books in it, only one of which was a BC book, (Anil's Ghost).

On a previous 'large' drop-off, on June 18, I actually was carrying a load of books to the LFL when a neighbor approached me and said 'Oh, so you are the book fairy!'. She was very appreciative as the lfl is very close to her property, and she tries to throw in books, but as it's not her LFL, she sometimes tries to ignore the empty shelf. I expect this LFL will disappear, probably next winter. Still, while it is open, I will continue to be the 'book fairy' and give it shots in the shelf with books when desperately needed. So I think it very much depends.

I do agree with not overwhelming LFL with BC books, but confronted with a LFL with 2 books and an Ikea catalog as its regular appearance, I will leave it with 12 books and an Ikea catalog.
Profile Image
We are approaching LFL fatigue up here in Mn.

Do you mean that people in your area should stop mounting more of them?

Heh! My LFL might later be a BookCrossing Zone (not official, though), but I'm not keeping inventory (other than making journal entries for my own BookCrossing books). Too much work!

I don't think it's fair to have a LFL that's not maintained. It would be better to take it down and have it taken off the LFL map.

I do agree with not overwhelming LFL with BC books, but confronted with a LFL with 2 books and an Ikea catalog as its regular appearance, I will leave it with 12 books and an Ikea catalog.

No Ikea catalogues for my LFL!! :)
Profile Image
We are approaching LFL fatigue up here in Mn.

Do you mean that people in your area should stop mounting more of them?

I don't think it's fair to have a LFL that's not maintained. It would be better to take it down and have it taken off the LFL map.

No Ikea catalogues for my LFL!! :)

LFL fatigue is just that. As in an OBCZ, people sometimes don't realize how much work it is. If a LFL isn't maintained, it leaves a sad note in someone's mind when they get excited about seeing it, stop, and think 'is this what all the fuss is about?' (meaning 2 books and an Ikea cstalog, or broken window, splintered shelves with no books).

An unmaintaimed LFL is a sad sight. With heavy enthusiasm up here, many were put in, not all are maintained. One feel good organization sponsored 20-30? of them in St Paul. Great idea, but they were mostly put up in high end real estate areas after asking the homeowner for permission. One or two LFL that I've found from this organization are in middle class territory, and those tend to be maintained. The others, not so much. Probably the best indication of the spirit of sharing books, is when the homeowner seeks out the idea, does the work, and is committed to it, rather than allowing an organization to install it, and trusting that no maintenance is needed.

So no, I don't think we should stop having LFL up here, but I am no longer convinced that a 'do-good, feel-good' organization should indiscrimanately install them everywhere. I'd love to see yours in action...
Profile Image
An unmaintained LFL is a sad sight.

Thanks for the clarification. I read it as people getting tired of seeing so many Little Free Libraries. I agree that they should be maintained. Ours will be. After all, it will be sitting right on my front lawn! The ones that are not maintained should be taken down *and* removed from the Little Free Library world map.

I actually wrote to the city council members in my city of Rockville to see if they would do it. They loved the idea...and then told *me* to do it. That will be best of all because I won't have to drive to get to it! The only thing I worry about is where people will park when they visit it as my street has stickered parking. I don't think that will be a problem, though, as no one is going to leave their cars unattended for long, and they could certainly spot an approaching law enforcement vehicle with no problem! :)

I'd love to see yours in action

I plan to post a photo of it when it goes up. I'm so happy that my husband decided to build it as he thinks my BookCrossing antics are "crazy". He's been talking the Little Free Library up among our neighbors. He told my closest neighbor about it as it will be mounted closer to her front door than to our own. We want it in the shade (under a tree) and in light (where it will get light from a street lamp). I've been told that people visit these at night. One neighbor already asked my husband if he can put books in it. I'm getting very excited!!
Profile Image

Oh man!

I would totally take and love one of those unmaintained ones! ;-)

If only....
Profile Image

RE: Oh man!

I would totally take and love one of those unmaintained ones! ;-)

If only....

It can be done, apparently. :)

See quietorchid's story here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8102436
Profile Image
... as I had posted on another topic this morning (regarding releasing books in Emergency Waiting rooms).
Profile Image
Just checked the website and there's now one on my island. I may have to try to find it this weekend! :)

(I see that this is yet another thread that MaryZee commented on. She will definitely be missed around the site.)
Profile Image
I opened Little Free Library #2873 on my front yard yesterday evening. No big announcement, no fanfare. I'm not a woodworker or an artist, so it has no fancy artwork or decorative elements, just a simple, colourful box. But even so, a labour of love. My ex-husband of 20+ years, who kindly helped me make it (and in the process taught me about power tools and the pleasure of having the right tool for the right job) and I simply mounted our project on a post in my yard, filled it with books and left it to its own devices.

This morning, I went to check on it to see if there were any signs of life. I expected I would find it as orderly as I left it and simply hoped that it had not fallen victim to neighbourhood hooligans.

Imagine my surprise to see it had clearly been "rifled through". Children's books in a jumble. Some of them missing. Yay!

But even more surprising was that it had almost twice as many books as I had put in it! I smiled all the way to work this morning. :)

Build it and they will come! :)
Profile Image
That's great! Hope it continues to be a success!
Profile Image
Would love to see a picture! Congratulations on owning your own library!
Profile Image
I'll post a picture soon (assuming I can remember how to do that).
Ex hubby did take a picture or two and promised to email them to me so I could show them off. Although he's been very helpful, I do think he thinks I'm a little bit nuts, so probably does not realize how anxious I am to get them. I'm trying not to be a nag. :)
Profile Image
I opened Little Free Library #2873 on my front yard yesterday evening. No big announcement, no fanfare. I'm not a woodworker or an artist, so it has no fancy artwork or decorative elements, just a simple, colourful box. Build it and they will come! :)

How exciting! I'd love to have one of these. No one is very handy in my family so it's not likely that we'll build one:( Let me know if you need any books for it.
Profile Image
There are currently 2 Little Free Libraries showing on Chicago's go hunting page!

One on the North Side of the city in the Lakeview neighborhood. The other on the South side of the city in the Hyde Park neighborhood.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5570
Profile Image
I'm not sure how to post a photo within a forum post so I added a few to my releases:

1. Man with the right tools after attaching our official sign: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9917184/
2. LFL #2873 ready for business: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7224572/
3. View from street (pre-sign): http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8420025/
Profile Image
Nice pics! [The only way to post them in the forums is to put them on some shareable site like Flickr or Photobucket and post the links here, but putting them in the release notes is a great idea - future finders can actually see where they came from, and potential book-hunters will know what to look for {grin}.]
Profile Image
Thanks Gory! For the compliment, the info and incentive to keep adding the photos to the releases. :)
Profile Image
I think your LFL came out beautifully! It looks very well-crafted, I like the colors, and I love the response you've been getting...congratulations! there's a LFL about six blocks from my house and I keep wondering if "the market will bear" more than one in the hood...
Profile Image
Aw, thank you SCOUT-FINCH. I admit that I am rather pleased at how it turned out. Especially since I have zero carpentry genes and every step was a learning process for me (measure twice, cut once!).

There is one other (that I know of) in Winnipeg and it is in the same end of town as I although farther than 6 blocks. I suspect the market could bear lots of LFLs. That way you could "return" your books to whichever library happened to be closest to you. Plus think of the selection! :)
Profile Image
There is one other (that I know of) in Winnipeg and it is in the same end of town as I although farther than 6 blocks. I suspect the market could bear lots of LFLs. That way you could "return" your books to whichever library happened to be closest to you. Plus think of the selection! :)

In Calgary there are 2 LFL within 2 blocks. To me, that makes it a destination my car wants to go in!
Profile Image
At the risk of sounding like someone blowing their own trumpet, one last word on the LFL:

If you have the opportunity or the means, I really recommend that you build, purchase or recommission for yourself (or for someone else (a school, daycare, impoverished area)) a Little Free Library. The success of the one I put in my yard has really moved me to tears. Last night when I came home, this is what I came home to (after about 24 hours of the library being open):

1. Folks chatting in my driveway. They had to move out of my way to let me in and as I drove down my driveway, they waved and shouted, "Great idea! Thanks" and then they departed, going their separate ways.

2. After leaving my car in the garage, I came out to check the mailbox and saw two other people examining the library's holdings - an elderly woman with a soft cardigan clutched around her against the chill and a younger woman (perhaps a daughter) holding a old dog in a baby carrier. I walked down my drive to talk to them. They'd been out for a walk and had just discovered the library. They were enchanted. The elder confided that she had just, last week, received a photograph of such a library in BC from her son and had said to him, that something so nice would never happen in Winnipeg. "But look!" she said smiling.

3. As the two ladies and I examined the library's contents in search of something good for the younger's children, we discovered some handwritten notes no doubt written by visitors to the library earlier in the day with the comments: "Thank you!", "What a great idea!", "I love it", "Thank you. I love reading." I was amazed and yes, frankly, moved to tears. "How nice", the elderly lady said, "Now I want one. I'll bring some of my books tomorrow."

It makes me smile just thinking about what is happening at the library all day when I am away. :)

Profile Image
I have been away from BC for some time and found this thread right at the top...I am having an Ah, ha! moment as this is the first I am hearing about Little Free Libraries. I drive by one every day and had wondered about the hot pink box out front of the house.

Now I will stop by and drop off some books! Yay!
Profile Image
A few months ago I was actually in Madison, WI, the headquarters of LFL. Serendipitously my hotel was within a mile of the founder, so we were able to visit like 4 LFL within walking distance. I released books at each.

I really really would love one in my neighborhood. However I live in a gated community. When I brought this up to my friends though, the reaction were all very negative... oh, the homeowners' assn won't approve that... People will come and steal the whole thing... Why would I want strangers coming to my house... : /

So I am really glad to hear such positive result about your LFL, Pooker. Congratulations!!
Profile Image
It is great! The LFL continues to be used. Books have been taken and are now being returned. Not a lot of journal entries though and it does seem that people are preferring to take non-BC registered books (perhaps scared off by the perceived extra obligation of journaling - or it could be that my neighbours just know what their neighbours like to read and leave better books!) Have had about 4 JEs. Here's a recent one: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11240615/

If I'm out in the yard people (who I have not previously known) will stop to ask about the library. So far, not one negative comment or problem. Everyone seems to love it.
Profile Image
It's terrific that you've got one set up.

The LFL photostream on Flickr is here: http://www.flickr.com/---/68010601@N03/

Looks like if you register & send them photos they'll eventually add you to their map; right now only the other Winnipeg location is showing.
Profile Image
Yup, I'm going to "officially" register to get on the map. At the moment I am trying to get a few photos to send. In particular, a photo with people using the library(something the site asks for). So far I haven't had the guts to suggest to anyone, "Just wait til I get my camera!" I don't want to scare them away! I'm hoping a good photo op will present itself. Maybe at Hallowe'en. I intend to decorate the thing and fill it with scary kids books. :)

In the meantime, LFL continues to be one of my daily pleasures. I can hardly wait to get home from work to see what it has been up to while I've been at work. There are almost always new books and little notes. It makes me nerdishly happy. :)

Now, I'm thinking about some lighting. It seems people even come by in the middle of the night. The other day, I had checked on it at about 10:00 p.m. and then about midnight, because it was raining, I went out again to make sure its door was closed and no rain was getting in and discovered someone had dropped new books off in the dark!
Profile Image
I am seriously contemplating asking my family to build me one as my Christmas present.

CBC in Calgary has just posted one, so that makes 5 (1 not on the map yet). Reaching a critical mass will begin to make these destination points.
Profile Image
Fracula!
You have to. Beg and plead if need be. You'll find more joy in it than you can imagine. AND you'll be surprised at what it comes to mean to other people.

This morning I was out spooking up the library for Halloween - sticking on some spider & skull decorations and adding some appropriate books. I was somewhat engrossed in what I was doing and didn't notice someone had come up behind me until I heard a soft "hello". It was a lady who lives nearby and now lives alone and is known to be quite a recluse. I was most surprised to even see her, never mind have her talk to me. She said, "This is a wonderful thing you are doing. My husband's been in the hospital 7 years now." And her eyes welled up (and I have to admit, so did mine.) She added, "I like historical fiction. Would you have anything like that I wonder?" Of course, there I was with ghost stories and kids books and not a single thing to fit the bill! But she selected one anyway and said, "I'll try this one then and see how it goes."

And now I'm on the lookout for historical fiction set in Europe in the 1200 -1400s! Yikes. :)
Profile Image
Here's a message I sent to fellow BCer JETepper who is set to open her LFL in Michigan later this month. We had chatted about the likelihood of Halloween hooliganism.

"Hello JETepper,

I thought I'd let you know that all my fretting about my Little Free Library surviving Halloween was for naught. It had the best day you can ever imagine.

I can't see it from my house (no windows on that side); it's near the end of a fairly long driveway. So, it was out there, facing the world on its own. I did consider handing out treats while standing there but then figured that my matronly presence would interfere with what I hoped would be the kids' natural curiosity when unsupervised. Plus it was miserably cold and rainy. :)

So I settled inside to hand out the treats. We don't usually get a lot of kids at the door. The combination of long driveways and the distance between houses is not conducive to making a big haul quickly. This night proceeded fairly typically with doorbell and trick or treat demands chiming every five minutes or so with enough time in between to sit down, sip my coffee, and read the newspaper. My ear was tuned toward listening for the approaching footsteps announcing the next set of ghosties and goblins at my door.

And as I listened I became aware of muted whoops and murmurings from my yard. There were kids at the Library! What were they doing I wondered? Were they tossing books out onto the street? Tearing out pages? Was my library about to become insulted by spray paint, a casualty of arson? I sat. Motionless. Listening and fretting. When I could stand the suspense no more, I opened the door. As I descended the porch stairs, five beings scattered like thieves and disappeared down the street, silently into the night.

Hmmm... no loose pages fluttering across my lawn, no blazing fireball. Nope. My LFL was still standing, safe and sound, its contents all but depleted. Even the little LED light I'd placed in it was still bravely shining. Well, what do you know! Little Free Library #2873 was being used exactly as intended - like a free library!

By the end of the night, I had refilled the shelf twice, but mostly I remained inside, listening to whoops and murmurings of the kids as they discovered the library and made their deliberations about which books to take. It was amazing! :)

I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences. I am sure they will be as wonderful as mine!

Cheers!
Pooker3"
Profile Image
Ours fared really well also, Pooker3. We had about 15 books go out and lots of favorable comments despite the rain and fewer trick or treaters than normal.
Profile Image
I didn't get any comments at all from the trick-or-treaters. They seemed quite skittish in fact, almost like they weren't sure *they* were allowed to take the books. We had about 50 kids, almost all in the 10 - 16 age range. I'd estimate that about 30 or 40 books found new homes - this despite the fact that my library really didn't have any books that were specifically geared toward those ages ( although I'm personally of the view that anyone should read anything they want , no matter one's age).

What is warming my heart now is that, in the last couple of days, books that ARE geared toward older kids are finding their way into the library. I haven't seen who is making the donations, so I'm choosing to believe that my Hallowe'en visitors are now "paying it forward". Joy! :)
Profile Image
Thank you so much for your continuing reports: I'm enjoying the adventures of your LFL!
Profile Image
Thank you so much for your continuing reports: I'm enjoying the adventures of your LFL!

Me, too! We have 4 in Calgary and I am contemplating asking my family to build me one for Christmas... We are on a quiet cul-de-sac, but from my experience,I think people seek them out once they are on the map.
Profile Image
Let us know if you get one, Fracula! We can send you books for the housewarming:)
Profile Image
A few months ago, a Melbourne shopping centre turned one of its store fronts into a "Little Library". In a newspaper interview, the centre's general manager cites the Little Free Library movement in the US as the inspiration for setting up the project. I guess you could think of it as a very large (and fancy) LFL!

Several Melbourne Bookcrossers have released books there and I'm hoping to do the same when I visit the city in January.

http://www.theage.com.au/---/one-for-the-books-as-shopping-centre-opens-a-new-chapter-20120906-25hd4.html
http://www.weekendnotes.com/melbourne-central-little-library/
Profile Image
I released a book there yesterday and was videotaped by a news crew doing it! Here's the box (before *Eucalyptus* by Murray Bail was added): http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/716063

I'm so thrilled -- I'd been planning on making the 3-hour drive to Richmond just to use one of their Little Free Libraries. Our newspaper says we'll have 10 in Danville by February!
Profile Image
I'd been planning on making the 3-hour drive to Richmond just to use one of their Little Free Libraries. Our newspaper says we'll have 10 in Danville by February!

Here's a way to find other Little Free Libraries near you. This is a new feature of LibraryThing. It also encourages you to enter other "Little Libraries" (whether they be Little Free Libraries, BookCrossing Zones, or other free book exchanges) in order to help *all* of the reading public find them.

http://www.librarything.com/---/littlelibraries/

I'd very much appreciate if any (or all!) of you would take some time to add any "Little Libraries" you find to this data base (if they are not already listed). Thanks in advance.

In addition. if you find this LT feature useful, please let me know, and *definitely* let others know.

Profile Image
I've added some of the Chicago and suburban lfl sites to the new librarything feature. i am also adding a few local book swap "little libraries" that are not official little free libraries.
Profile Image
I've added some of the Chicago and suburban lfl sites to the new librarything feature. i am also adding a few local book swap "little libraries" that are not official little free libraries.

Thanks, nimrodiel!
Profile Image
Once I get some free time after finals I will try and tackle the LFL map and enter in the rest of the listed IL sites...
Profile Image
Once I get some free time after finals I will try and tackle the LFL map and enter in the rest of the listed IL sites...

Thanks, again!
Profile Image
I love releasing books in the LFL near my home (which technically is in the next town over, but it's on my way home). I don't worry about the book getting rained on, or thrown in the trash. I haven't scored a catch yet, but I'm hoping I will someday.
Profile Image
Update that I picked up my LFL today! I had a friend of a friend build one and it looks great and I just need to get it mounted and then we will be open for business.

Looking forward to seeing the activity.
Profile Image
Oh, do keep us informed. I suspect once your library is up it will take care of itself. Books will come and books will go (sometimes in the dark of night) and you won't really have to do anything more about filling it up (although you will) or even tidying it up. The neatest thing for me and something that I did not expect is that I now know neighbours I never knew existed and they know each other too! Have fun!
Profile Image
The first one I went to was closed for renovations. It looked like someone had knocked the glass out of the front of it. :(

The second one I went to was in perfect condition and had plenty of room for the 10 BC books I left there. I hope to get some catches!

I plan on visiting a third next week while I'm in Altoona, Pa.

Now I want one of my own. :)
Profile Image
... so that I could drop a book off at a (somewhat) local LFL recently, only to find that it was a wreck. Empty, of course. The glass was out of the door, the wood was cracked & splintering... Needless to say, I didn't leave my book there.

Too bad the LFL map doesn't delete defunct LFLs.

Profile Image
... so that I could drop a book off at a (somewhat) local LFL recently, only to find that it was a wreck. Empty, of course. The glass was out of the door, the wood was cracked & splintering... Needless to say, I didn't leave my book there.

That's sad to hear. I imagine the LFL site would remove a listing if requested by the owner; perhaps that person moved away or was ill or otherwise unable to check up on the LFL? There might be contact information for that LFL on its map-page item, if you wanted to drop the owner a line...
Profile Image
There might be contact information for that LFL on its map-page item, if you wanted to drop the owner a line...

I actually did email both the steward of the broken-down LFL, & the LFL organization itself.

This particular LFL is in front of a radio station, not a private residence. You'd think they'd care about their image.

I was pretty surprised & disappointed. That was my first LFL road trip, & it was a bust!

Profile Image

I was pretty surprised & disappointed. That was my first LFL road trip, & it was a bust!

Some LFLs are not what is expected. On a recent road trip in which I visited three LFLs, one was nonexistent, the second was empty, and the third was well stocked. These three sites, however, were NOT close to one another. To avoid disappointment, try to schedule visits to more than one LFL each road trip - if you can.

To my surprise, the empty one (in which I placed two BC-registered books) scored journal entries. I discovered that the empty box was not only undergoing renovations for weather-proofing and insect-proofing, but it was also stewarded by an active BookCrosser. Amazing!

Profile Image

I was also sorry to see that "commenting" was not allowed on the map of the Little Free Libraries. That would be useful in cases such as the one you described. It would also save wasted trips to LFL's that are no longer up and running.
Profile Image

I was also sorry to see that "commenting" was not allowed on the map of the Little Free Libraries. That would be useful in cases such as the one you described. It would also save wasted trips to LFL's that are no longer up and running.

Yeah. I also emailed both the owner of that LFL (in Englewood, FL -- the only one there) &, when he didn't reply, Little Free Libraries itself, suggesting that they might want to remove it from their map. They got back to me after a bit, saying that they would reach out to the owner of that LFL & look into it. But I never heard back, & that LFL is still on the map. Kind of a pain for anyone who might make a road trip specifically to visit it, only to be disappointed.

Profile Image

Yeah. I also emailed both the owner of that LFL (in Englewood, FL -- the only one there) &, when he didn't reply, Little Free Libraries itself, suggesting that they might want to remove it from their map. They got back to me after a bit, saying that they would reach out to the owner of that LFL & look into it. But I never heard back, & that LFL is still on the map. Kind of a pain for anyone who might make a road trip specifically to visit it, only to be disappointed.

Commenting allowed on the LFL map could solve this problem. We could just put our comments underneath - such as: one LFL did not exist, another one was empty, another one was in disrepair, etc. . Why not assist people to find the ones that are good and reward those stewards who work hard to maintain theirs in good condition?

In my experience of those I've visited so far, I'd say that I found only half of them satisfactory. I hope to visit more in the future.

Profile Image
Thanks to karen07814 I have been able to make my first releases to a Little Free Library. She appears to be the third person in the UK to have built and registered a Little Free Library.

Photo here:- http://www.flickr.com/---/8734159003
Profile Image
I filled it this afternoon with all BC books and now am waiting for my 1st "customer". Had a neighbor drive by on their golf cart and say they liked it and were going to bring me some books!

Here are a couple journal pictures of the library:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10388956
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10388959/

and pictures on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/---/62060026@N02/
Profile Image
Congrats - it looks charming!
Profile Image
Congratulations! It looks great.
Profile Image
Bookstogive, it's beautiful!
Profile Image
I agree it's beautiful! Now I want one!! LOL unfortunately we're sort of out in the "country" so it wouldn't be ideal.... would need someplace a bit more "traveled' ... ah well.

I did see one in the "Bustling Metropolitan" town of Ridge Spring, SC... but we didn't stop.
Maybe I'll run by there on Memorial Day....
Profile Image
It's gorgeous! Have fun!
Profile Image
Oh, it looks wonderful!
Profile Image
I tracked it down yesterday! Photo with this release:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11890377/
Profile Image
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/---/the-free-little-library-by-stereotank/
(they keep calling it a Free Little Library though). Still, cool design!
Profile Image
Oh, that one's adorable! I don't see it on the LFL map yet, but if there are going to be several more perhaps they'll show up eventually. [Unless they're meant to be temporary...]
Profile Image
I wish I'd seen that before I went to NYC! Oh well...maybe it will still be around next summer? I can hope..
Profile Image
has also landed a Little Free Library. It can be found here: http://blokhuisportal.nl/---/flipsemaakthet/

Too bad the lady that is running it, hasn't made it public yet on the home page of the building she's renting a room in.
I'll see if I can make a picture of the LFL and add it / add a link to it here.

It is also used by miekster from time to time to leave some BC-books behind. :-)
Profile Image
My Little Free Library has been open for about nine months now and I don't think I will ever tire of looking after it. It brings me joy every single day, but some days that joy is extra sweet.

Last night I was putting away the garden hose before bed and noticed, in the gathering dusk, at the end of my driveway, examining the contents of the LFL, was a lone member of that alien species, the teenaged boy. You know the one, fifteen or sixteen, all swagger and hair under the backwards baseball cap.

There was an awkward moment as he noticed me noticing him and I thought for a moment he was going to bolt. But he stood his ground, albeit a little nervously, and I approached him cautiously with a "Hi, find anything interesting?"

And he looked at the book in his hands and passed it back and forth between them and asked, "Is it true? This is a free library. I can just take any book?"

I said, "Yes. You can take as many as you want."

"And bring one back later?"

I said, "Yes, you can. You don't have to, but people do if they have something they'd like to share."

"Well, I found one I've been meaning to read for a long time", he said as he riffled the book's pages.

"Oh, wonderful!"

"Isn' t that neat how that happened?", he said and I said, "Yes. That's really neat. Enjoy."

And with a mile-wide grin he was off.

And the book he chose? http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11934416/
Profile Image
Awwww. A day- brightener.
Profile Image
That is so cool! And the book he chose... Wow! We never know the good many of our books are doing.

I am so glad you shared this!
Profile Image
Little Free Library #7720 - Twinbrook - is now open for service!

LibraryThing venue page: http://www.librarything.com/---/84141
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LittleFreeLibrary7720Twinbrook

:D
Profile Image
It's beautiful! A little far to visit, otherwise I would!
Profile Image
It's beautiful! A little far to visit, otherwise I would!

Maybe someday...

Profile Image
Congrats!

Profile Image
Congrats!

Thanks!

Profile Image
Looks lovely!
Profile Image

LFL catch!

I thought you all would like this catch. My book traveled from one little free library to another little free library:

My Year of Meats http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7965334/
Profile Image
My book traveled from one little free library to another little free library

Fun!

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.