corner corner Share with other what do you get out of BookCrossing

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Share with other what do you get out of BookCrossing

I'm looking for some short quotes from BookCrossers to let others know what we get out of BookCrossing. I'm going to write them out onto gift tags and hang them onto a bookcrossing tree at our local Christmas Tree Festival. If you're willing to be quoted (by BC name and/or country) please answer one or more of these questions:

? What do you like about BookCrossing?
? Tell us about a BookCrossing activity that you do at Christmas
? Do you see BookCrossing as a community and, if so, why?

I'll be writing these up some time before December 9th, so sooner I can get replies the better.
Thanks in advance.

Complete Thread

Profile Image

I'm looking for some short quotes from BookCrossers to let others know what we get out of BookCrossing. I'm going to write them out onto gift tags and hang them onto a bookcrossing tree at our local Christmas Tree Festival. If you're willing to be quoted (by BC name and/or country) please answer one or more of these questions:

? What do you like about BookCrossing?
? Tell us about a BookCrossing activity that you do at Christmas
? Do you see BookCrossing as a community and, if so, why?

I'll be writing these up some time before December 9th, so sooner I can get replies the better.
Thanks in advance.

Profile Image
I like the fact that bookcrossing combines so well with my other hobbies of reading, photography, walking, cycling and chatting on the internet.

I plan to release some Christmas themed books over the Christmas period.

I see BookCrossing as a community because it acts like one with people having fun together and supporting one another both online and in face to face meetings.

I am from Colchester UK.

Profile Image
I like the fact that bookcrossing combines so well with my other hobbies of reading, photography, walking, cycling and chatting on the internet.

Ditto to what Ardachy said! In fact I wrote a post on my blog saying more or less this:
http://swanscot.wordpress.com/---/hiking-reading-and-photography-3-of-my-favourite-things/

swan-scot from Scotland

Profile Image
I like bookcrossing because it combines My love of books, sharing them with others, reading and discussing books with others globally.
I wild release some Christmas themed books during the season.
Bookcrossing is a community because members support others, share ideas,celebrate events and promotes ideas. I'm hoping as we share our similarities and differences we are contributing to peace in the world.
I live in Newfoundland, Canada.
Profile Image
What do you like about BookCrossing?

Books change lives. The right book, in the right place, found by the right person can make a huge difference. You never can know, but I just leave each book with the small hope that it makes a difference, if only by bringing a smile, to someone's day.

Minnesota, USA
Profile Image

they're really useful for decorating the tree.
Profile Image
I would never have bought Goldie Hawn's autobiography for $22, I wouldn't have checked it out of the library. But when it appeared at my OBCZ..I read it and enjoyed it! I love seeing books that are too old to be in a bookstore and too young to be in an antique store. I love sharing thaat with others. I know how I feel when I get a free book..I want to share that feeling with others.
I release books while I shop for Christmas gifts, and share bookcrossing information at my local library book sales. (we have a small OBCZ in the library) Tomorrow I will be giving out Bookcrossing information at the Scholastic book warehouse sale at my local High School.
I live in Hesperia, California.
Profile Image
If you get stuck, try adding in some of the old tag-lines. I still really like them and wish they were still on the site:
http://www.honchun.com/---/taglines

I like BookCrossing for many reasons, but especially because it lets me travel the world through books -- the places my books go and the people I meet through them.
Profile Image
Since joining BookCrossing I have found that I read a whole lot more. The common pattern of liking a book, buying it, and leaving it on a bookshelf "to read one day" was broken. Suddenly the indefinite commitment of the eternally available bookshelf fell away and was replaced by a sense of "if you want to read this book, you had better do so now before releasing it".

Because I'm trying more or less to stick to a reading order as books come in, I also tend to read better books and from a wider variety, rather than grabbing the favourite author or the easy read as a quick form of relaxation.

And at what stage do we admit to the new, bewitching addiction of second-hand bookshops and charity sales?
Profile Image

Wow

Only 7 gift tags left to write in- at this rate they'll all be filled in time for the festival!
You guys are so great!
Profile Image
Be sure and take plenty of pictures, write the whole experience up, and submit it for publication in the newsletter here:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/articles

Thanks!
Profile Image
1. I like so many things about Bookcrossing -
all the new authors I have read
all the lovely people I have met both in the flesh and on-line
combining travel with releasing books in interesting places and taking photos of the releases
sending or receiving a book in the mail to or from bookcrossers all around the world.
2. At Christmas I like to release childrens Christmas books and also meet up with local bookcrossers for brunch and a Kris Kringle exchange of a wrapped book.
3. Bookcrossing is a wonderful global community of generous people who love to share the joy of reading.
Profile Image

Photos

Here are the photos for those who are interested: http://photobucket.com/bookcrossingxmas

Thanks to everyone who gave quotes. I put them all onto gift tags and hung them on the tree.
One little boy took one home round his teddy's neck like a necklace- a very sweet sight!
Profile Image
brilliant photos, it looks like a really good display. What an eye catching and postive way to spread the idea of bookcrossing.
Profile Image
How nice to see. Thanks for including us in your project and effort.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.