corner corner Albuq Zone has gone awry...

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Albuq Zone has gone awry...

We have official zones at a number of Flying Star restaurants in Albuquerque, but at least the ones I go to have gone terribly awry. First, the large signs posted say "Leave a book. Take a book." No mention that is clearly visible that you should REGISTER the books. The one sign that says that is underneath the bottom shelf and only visible if you bend the whole way down. Printed out stickers used to be available there, and haven't been in over a year, at least at the Juan Tabo location. Though the shelf is always loaded with books, it is almost always discard paperbacks from the library that are unregistered with Book Crossing. It's basically now a freecycle location for books. This is doing a disservice to Book Crossing because with the bad singnage, that looks like it is the purpose of Book Crossing.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
We have official zones at a number of Flying Star restaurants in Albuquerque, but at least the ones I go to have gone terribly awry. First, the large signs posted say "Leave a book. Take a book." No mention that is clearly visible that you should REGISTER the books. The one sign that says that is underneath the bottom shelf and only visible if you bend the whole way down. Printed out stickers used to be available there, and haven't been in over a year, at least at the Juan Tabo location. Though the shelf is always loaded with books, it is almost always discard paperbacks from the library that are unregistered with Book Crossing. It's basically now a freecycle location for books. This is doing a disservice to Book Crossing because with the bad singnage, that looks like it is the purpose of Book Crossing.
Profile Image
Maybe there is no one taking care of the Zone anymore?

Oh, just a small thing, but it may confuse newbies: BookCrossing books don't need to be registered by finders, just journalled. The releaser already registered them. Also, there's no 'should' about it, it's just something that would be nice.
Profile Image
Maybe there is no one taking care of the Zone anymore?

Oh, just a small thing, but it may confuse newbies: BookCrossing books don't need to be registered by finders, just journalled. The releaser already registered them. Also, there's no 'should' about it, it's just something that would be nice.

Well, I'm mostly a newbie myself. I've only registered 15 books and the only finds I ever had were the person who took care of the zone ages ago commenting that my books were "still on the shelf". I really don't have the time to take care of a zone -- I barely have time to read books these days. The restaurant just put up very bad signs in their effort to help. And I have to disagree a smidge... people "should" register the books they put out on the shelves, otherwise it's really no longer a Book Crossing zone, just a freecycle zone. The one on Juan Tabo when I ate there a few days ago had about 70 former library paperbacks, none of which were registered. No registered books at all. The other location that I just dropped a couple books off at for the first time in ages at least looked like about 20% of the books there were registered books.
Profile Image
You might want to x post this there, get the attention of any OBCZ managers in the sarea. Conversely, on that forum people could help and encourage you to become the manager of a zone in Albuquerque yourself.
Profile Image
You might want to x post this there, get the attention of any OBCZ managers in the sarea. Conversely, on that forum people could help and encourage you to become the manager of a zone in Albuquerque yourself.

Um, what's OBCZ? Sorry, like I said... I'm pretty much a newbie.
Profile Image
Um, what's OBCZ?

Sorry, I get confused also. It's the OBCZ Manager site http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/27
where you can post questions, ask for encouragement, and generally get a lot of help.
Profile Image
Um, what's OBCZ?

OBCZ is an Official BookCrossing Zone. A bookshelf where people can release and pick up books. What makes it official is that a BC member maintains it.
It looks like the one you mentioned lost its maintainer.

The explanation of terms like OBCZ can be found in the FAQs. The link is at the bottom of every page, and on the Information menu. Welcome to BookCrossing!
Profile Image
The "official" in OBCZ is sort of misleading. What it means is that a BookCrosser has made an arrangement with a business/shop owner/manager to help keep a spot (shelf, basket, window sill) stocked with books for clients/customers to have available. The officialness does not spring from http://www.bookcrossing.com at all, except that recently, the site has taken to giving little icon/designations to the release zone and makring it as an OBCZ on the Go Hunting pages.

The kicker is that sometimes a book exchange shelf pre-exists BookCrossing involvement and sometimes it lives on after a BookCrosser stops maintaining it. Also, non-BookCrossers may drop off their own books for others to take and enjoy, but haven't registered them. So, the books wait until a kind BookCrosser can come and register them to BookCrossing (give them a BCID) and put them out again for others to find.

I have had a number of OBCZ zones that I've managed. A few of the owners insisted, even with BookCrossing signs, on the "take a book leave a book theory". I figured it was better to have BookCrossing a part of that than not there at all, so worked with them, within their rules. (Other owners have had other requirements: one says "No Danielle Steel", another said "No book covers with bouffant hairdos on women- go figure that one out.)

As my budget allows, I've left bookmarks etc there in the past. I do try and swing by the OBCZs every so often and label what's there, but one of my OBCZs is far away (actually in another state, but the shop owner loved the idea of BookCrossing and wanted books in her shop.) I get there maybe 6-7 times a year, but it survives without me, just fine. Sometimes it's full of unregistered books when I get there, sometimes it's totally bare.

As to the register/not register bit, I agree it's preferable if a book is registered, but not all people using the OBCZs are BookCrossers, so many will not bother. I'd rather them leave their books unregistered and take ours (and hopefully journal on them) than not participate at all. Any BookCrosser can register an unregistered book and help it start its' journey, so don't be shy!

You can also private message the manager of the OBCZ (FlyingStarOBCZ2, which is the Juan Tabo onen has its' own shelf and can receive PMS, as does FlyingStarOBCZ1, which is on Menaul) The other Flying Stars are not OBCZs though they may have bookshelves. You can also try PMing some of your active locals (jare and labmomnm and whiskeyjane come to mind) to see what's up.

Good luck and stay passionate about BookCrossing!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.