corner corner BookCrossing arrives to Croatia! Yay!

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BookCrossing arrives to Croatia! Yay!

Today I checked to see if there were any new members from Croatia, and was astonished by the fact that a half a dozen people or more have signed up over the past few days. This being a really big number for a community where BookCrossing is really not active at all, I went straight to Google and did a search for BookCrossing & Zagreb.

To my even greater surprise and IMMENSE satisfaction, I found several articles announcing that on November 8, 2011 the National and University Library had held a promotion of BookCrossing and is setting up BookCrossing points in libraries across the country.

Yay! Yay! Hooray! Yay! :))) Wooooooohoooooo!!! :)))

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Today I checked to see if there were any new members from Croatia, and was astonished by the fact that a half a dozen people or more have signed up over the past few days. This being a really big number for a community where BookCrossing is really not active at all, I went straight to Google and did a search for BookCrossing & Zagreb.

To my even greater surprise and IMMENSE satisfaction, I found several articles announcing that on November 8, 2011 the National and University Library had held a promotion of BookCrossing and is setting up BookCrossing points in libraries across the country.

Yay! Yay! Hooray! Yay! :))) Wooooooohoooooo!!! :)))
Profile Image
I wild released some books when I was holidaying in Croatia, and got a journal entry (but it was from another tourist and the book was heading out of the country).

Brilliant that the number of bookcrossers have got so high in your country. Maybe you'll be able to have a real life meeting with them.
Profile Image

Yes...

Keeping fingers crossed. :)

I've only wild released a few books so far, and none have been journalled yet. But I didn't expect them to be either. I'm well on track with statistics of book journalling in other countries. Only once I've wild released a substantial number of books, I might start expecting to hear from one of them. ;)
Profile Image
Very nice! Are the articles in Croatian or are they translated yet?

Just read a wonderful book about an American Family living in Croatia for a year. "Running away to home" I think is the title.

Profile Image
Very nice! Are the articles in Croatian or are they translated yet?

Just read a wonderful book about an American Family living in Croatia for a year. "Running away to home" I think is the title.

That book sounds interesting. Will add it to my wishlist to remember to look it up sometime. :)

Unfortunately, the articles are in Croatian and I'm having a hectic month before I leave on my holidays so I haven't the time to translate them now. But I think I'll have enough free time while on holidays, so I'll translate one or two of them then. As with all news outlets these days, they all more or less repeat the same things, often word for word. :)

I'll make the translations available somehow, once I finish them.
Profile Image
Found an article in English, at the National and University Library's webpage.
Well, it's not exactly an article, but rather an invitation to the presentation.

http://www.nsk.hr/DigitalLibEN.aspx?...
Profile Image
Looks good and has that all important link to the BookCrossing site too. I hope it is a great success.
Profile Image
How wonderful! Very exciting news.
Profile Image
to visit as so many people have recommended it to me. Great news about the bookcrossing article and promotion.
Profile Image
Always good to hear about support for BC!
Profile Image
Happy for bookcrossing and especially for YOU! :-)
Profile Image

:)

Well, I've been in touch with the National and University Library via their Facebook page (the email form on their website kept giving me an error), and have been invited to join them on this project, and I intend to do so, as soon as I return from my holidays in January.

I'm not going for OBCZ status yet, as I want to see how much time I'll have to devote to the zone, and what the Library team wants to do. It is their baby, after all. :)
But I hope to register the zone and open a BC account for it, and print out pre-num labels to label books that are already there but unregistered. Also, if finances allow, it would be great if I could print out some un-numbered labels so that people can register the books themselves if they like.

Ooohh... Looking forward to January now! :)
Profile Image
for you and Croatia. Hope Bookcrossing continues to grow in your beautiful country.
Profile Image
Has activated quite a few regional libraries. I see new users registered, many of them libraries, which have opened BCZ shelves on their premisses. Saddens me to see that Zagreb is not very active in that respect, but some of the smaller town libraries are doing a marvellous job. I stumbled across an article the other day (can't find it now, darnit!) about the library on island Brac which is even providing labels for people to register their books on the spot. Cool beans or what!?

Like Zagreb, I'm a bit asleep with regards to activating BC in and around town, but I just haven't had the time to meet up with our library and see what they're up to with their BCZ and how I can help. I did give them my email and mobile in case they needed to get in touch.
Profile Image
Hi, I would like to help regarding Croatian localization - web, stickers, etc. Me and my friends would like to start a BC project in my city really soon (within a few days from now) - it would be great to have already localized stickers, or at least an editable .pdf if available, so I could localize it, and make available for others.

Thanks
Profile Image
You're very welcome to help with the translation of the website. It's a lot of work, but rewarding.

Your invitation has been sent. I'd suggest that you register and release a few books, to get familiar with the process. It will help you understand the jargon better. Welcome to the translation project and thank you for volunteering!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.