corner corner World Book Night and BookCrossing

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

World Book Night and BookCrossing

I was pleased to see this "We’ll be working with Bookcrossing again to make sure that the books are even easier to track in 2012." on the WBN website. I haven't seen confirmation on the BC website though or have I missed it? With the convention in Dublin being held on the weekend of World Book Night we must have added opportunity for publicity. Must confess I had so much fun at the WBN event in Colchester last year it will be a tough choice between that and Dublin. The involvement of the USA this year should add an extra dimension too. Anyone know what is being planned in the USA or indeed elswhere?

http://www.worldbooknight.org/---/a-books-journey
http://www.worldbooknight.org/---/240-world-book-night-usa

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I was pleased to see this "We’ll be working with Bookcrossing again to make sure that the books are even easier to track in 2012." on the WBN website. I haven't seen confirmation on the BC website though or have I missed it? With the convention in Dublin being held on the weekend of World Book Night we must have added opportunity for publicity. Must confess I had so much fun at the WBN event in Colchester last year it will be a tough choice between that and Dublin. The involvement of the USA this year should add an extra dimension too. Anyone know what is being planned in the USA or indeed elswhere?

http://www.worldbooknight.org/---/a-books-journey
http://www.worldbooknight.org/---/240-world-book-night-usa
Profile Image
With the convention in Dublin being held on the weekend of World Book Night we must have added opportunity for publicity. Must confess I had so much fun at the WBN event in Colchester last year it will be a tough choice between that and Dublin. The involvement of the USA this year should add an extra dimension too.

It appears that World Book Night have dropped Ireland for 2012, which is very sad. As stated in all their publicity and conditions of application givers must be UK residents. WBN then talk a little about the USA involvement (basically a watch this space message), but nothing about Ireland at all.

2011 specifically mentioned Ireland. :(
Profile Image
I had an email from WBN today announcing the list of books for 2012 and saying that the process to apply to be agiver was now open. Went to the site but can't find anywhere to apply. Anyone else any the wiser?
Profile Image
Anyone else any the wiser?

http://www.worldbooknight.org/---/register-as-a-2012-giver

Under the tab World Book Night, there is an option of WBN 2012. Hover over this an another tab opens and the fourth option is to register as a giver.
Profile Image
With the convention in Dublin being held on the weekend of World Book Night we must have added opportunity for publicity.

Good news, the WBN site has been updated to state that Ireland is still involved but the registration process is different.
http://www.worldbooknight.org/---/wbn-2012-ireland

If people are going to the convention and want to release their books in Dublin/Ireland you could nominate an Irish bookshop to pick the books up, thus saving yourself from lugging them over.
Profile Image
Good news, the WBN site has been updated to state that Ireland is still involved but the registration process is different.

Thanks for that. Good news indeed.

Profile Image

Thanks for that. Good news indeed.

Wonder if BookCrossing will be involved this year and if that will be better organized as well? Anyone know?
Profile Image
See my original post. WBN are saying BookCrossing is involved again and it will be better.
Profile Image
Thanks. I somehow missed that. I know that Heather and Bruce are up to their eyeballs in stuff, and with Laura gone, the slow news providing may be even slower. But obviously WBN has been in touch, and that's good.
Profile Image
But as of yet I don't think they 've even chosen the books. I'm trying to keep up on this.
Profile Image
How do we sign up? I just saw your post on the ABXC Yahoo board and want to!
Profile Image
Just got the news! I'm in! Got selected! There's still time to sign up and there still are notifications going out, so don't panic. Here's the content of the email I got:

Dear World Book Night book giver,

Yes, you read that right: World Book Night book giver! Has a nice ring to it, yes? And you're one of them, or will be on April 23! Thank you!!!!!!!

Three things for you to do right now:

1) Smile, shout; whatever you like to do to celebrate. And accept our grateful thanks for your application. World Book Night is all about you and your passion for books and your community and fellow citizen.

2) TELL MORE OF YOUR FRIENDS! You're in, the deadline has been extended to Monday, Feb. 6 at midnight, and the more the merrier.

3) Mark your calendars: look for another email the wk. of Feb. 13 with the call to go online and choose your pick-up bookstore or library.

4) Do NOT gloat if a friend or colleague didn't get this email. (Not that this is the golden WillyWonka ticket, but we do hope you are as happy as we are.) More about this follows.

If someone you know who applied didn't hear from us, it's one of several things: a bad email address; an email blocker (even though we used Constant Contact, a great service); some act of nature as one of the four application reviewers had a twitch or coffee jolt; or your pal applied in the last few days, which we haven't read yet. (Yes, there is a very slight chance that their application wasn't, umm, good . . . nah, not a friend of ours! Have them check spam.)

The only bummer we have to report is that many of you will not be getting your first choice of Hunger Games; it was that popular. Hopefully, you'll be happy with your second choice; we think so--it's an amazing list of books, yes? If the change of book changes where you want to go, you don't need to reapply; we trust you.

We also know that several hundred folks who we accepted as givers won't get this email for the reasons noted above; if you know someone, tell them that everyone who applied with any care or thoughtfulness will get their box of books come April 23. Everyone take a deep breath. We'll find a way, and we plan to have extra boxes stationed all over America. No book lover will be denied.

Again, tell more people and . . . THANK YOU!!

The World Book Night U.S. Team
Profile Image
Congratulations. I don't think the UK or Ireland participants have been chosen yet.

Enjoy spreading those books to non-readers! And chech out JamesUK's world book night labels too. I found them great last year.
Profile Image
https://www.facebook.com/worldbooknightusa?...

They're sending this first group out in batches to avoid spam bounceback. Yours is probably en route.
Profile Image
Thanks for posting the info you got - I just applied last night, so I've got my fingers crossed (hard to type that way though...)
Profile Image

Woot woot!!!

Because bookczuk wrote her note above, I checked mine and I have also been chosen! Yay, happy dance!
My challenge is this: I've just been informed that there is a mandatory business dinner I have to go to THAT NIGHT. So I'll have to decide if I give my book to everyone at the dinner, or do my giving another day.

For the US, do we know yet how we'll get our books?
Profile Image

For the US, do we know yet how we'll get our books?

Item #3 in the email says that the followup info will include an online page for selecting a pickup location. One of my local secondhand bookstores has announced that it's a participant so I imagine that'll be my location, but I don't know if it's the only one in the area or if I'll have more of a choice...
Profile Image
I was so excited I didn't read it carefully. I'm embarassed but enlightened.
Profile Image
... there's some kind of World Book Night event too this year, it's called "Lesefreunde" http://www.welttag-des-buches.de/---/470021 (Lesefreunde = reading friends, some kind of a pun: without an "n" Lesefreude means joy of reading)
33.333 participants get 30 books each, to distribute around World Book Day on April 23rd. It doesn't seem that the books will be pre-registered at BC.
Here is the list of books to choose from: http://www.welttag-des-buches.de/---/470211
Lots of German BCers already registered of course...
Profile Image
Great! It is gradually becoming a genuine WORLD book night :-)
I wonder if BCHQ are aware of this one. It may be worth contacting them as they may be able to get involved next year if it is repeated. Germany is after all the top BookCrossing country in the world.
Profile Image
Germany is after all the top BookCrossing country in the world.

I think you'll find that is New Zealand!!
Profile Image
Germany is after all the top BookCrossing country in the world.

I think you'll find that is New Zealand!!

*grin* Not until you return there;-)
Profile Image
Have been picking up books from both UK/USA lists as I come across them, to release here, in Croydon.

Have approached the local bus line to see if they will help me with this, as the aim is to reach non-readers, or those who seldom read.

Now working on BookPlates....
Profile Image

So...

are you planning to register your WBN books with BookCrossing? Has anyone done a label at the store yet?
Profile Image
Has anyone done a label at the store yet?

I may be all wrong, but I thought they came with labels. Or with pre-numbered numbers?

How did it work last year in the UK?
Profile Image
Has anyone done a label at the store yet?

I may be all wrong, but I thought they came with labels. Or with pre-numbered numbers?

How did it work last year in the UK?

The numbers were sent to us in a separate email and had to be written in a pre-printed place on the inside back cover. I added an additional BookCrossing label on the inside front cover. I am hopping that it is better organised this time as the majority of non-bookcrossers did not bother to write the numbers in. The email was received very late and the hyphen was omitted from the number which did not help.
Profile Image

RE: So...

The numbers were sent to us in a separate email and had to be written in a pre-printed place on the inside back cover. I added an additional BookCrossing label on the inside front cover. I am hopping that it is better organised this time as the majority of non-bookcrossers did not bother to write the numbers in. The email was received very late and the hyphen was omitted from the number which did not help.

Well, I believe in hyphens, at least some of the time. :p

I didn't see any info about tracking on the US site...so I guess I'll just wait & see what info we're sent.

I did have a WBN copy of Odd and the Frost Giants (currently off on a book ring) that was sent to me by a non-BC friend; I don't remember it having a number or a place for a number, but maybe I missed it. I gave it a BCID - hopefully that doesn't mean it has two.
Profile Image

RE: So...

I did have a WBN copy of Odd and the Frost Giants (currently off on a book ring) that was sent to me by a non-BC friend; I don't remember it having a number or a place for a number, but maybe I missed it. I gave it a BCID - hopefully that doesn't mean it has two.

Oops, that's a World Book DAY copy of Odd and the Frost Giants. Something else entirely.
Profile Image

labels

I'm all set, as my book is Ender's Game, which is also on the banned/challenged books list and one of the labels I have says, "I read banned books".

So, there'll be whatever WBN sends in the book along with the BCID, and if I choose to use another label, I have a generic one from my stash that works well with the book I've been given to give!
Profile Image

Labels

I made 3 different ones at the store so you can check there. If they come with BCID numbers I will add the labels inside the cover in addition to where they want the numbers if specified.
Profile Image
I put labels in the front cover and back cover, which emphasised the bookcrossing website as opposed to the WBN web site. Last year the WBN website was pretty hard to understand, and the tracking of books was easier using the BC website.

I've had a fair number of books check back in, definately more than the 10% quoted for wild releasing so I'm happy that how I labelled them was successful.

(I used JamesUK labels, which he has updated for 2012).
Profile Image
http://www.fishchipsandmushypeas.co.uk/bc/

But it's a little different for the US - supposed to be 50,000 people with 20 books per person, so I might use the Word documents and edit them a bit. :)
Profile Image
I made 3 different ones at the store so you can check there.

I guess I had better get them not pre-numbered then, if they are likely to send us BCIDs.
Profile Image
Because I haven't heard of any connection between BC and WBN-US, I don't know if these things will come with numbers or not. My daughter and I will have some labels ready and register/label them when we finally get them.
Profile Image
I would have hoped that we all would have heard something officially from BC by now confirming they are involved in WBN but like you I will be prepared whatever system they have come up with this time.
Profile Image
I would have hoped that we all would have heard something officially from BC by now confirming they are involved in WBN but like you I will be prepared whatever system they have come up with this time.

I heard "unofficially" that the two were talking, but that, at that point, BC didn't want to make an official announcement until everything was settled. Unfortunately, i've been out with an injury and haven't been in touch with anyone from BC to get the skinny on the details. But, given the usual amount of info, we'll know best when the books arrive.

Profile Image
But, given the usual amount of info, we'll know best when the books arrive.

Yes, that's what I figure :-)

Hope you fully recover from your injury soon.
Profile Image
... that I'm in :-) It seems they are sending out the mails this evening. Got my first choice - Adressat Unbekannt (Address Unknown) by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor - to be picked up right after the Dublin Convention...
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/63215 / http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/99470

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.