corner corner I'm in BookCrossing heaven!!!!!

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I'm in BookCrossing heaven!!!!!

A few weeks ago I stopped at Good Cause Thrift Shop http://www.mcauleyhs.org/---/good_cause_thrift_shop where of course I headed immediately to the book shelves. Their prices were quite reasonable and I bought a bunch for BookCrossing.

Then a week or two ago, I made a 2nd visit, picked out a bunch of books for various Release Challenges and made my way to the register to check out with my two plastic shopping baskets full. That's when I saw the shelf with "5 hardcovers for $1.00" on it, so I added 5 more. Then I saw a sign on a lower shelf, "20 paperbacks for 50 cents" -- well, what could I do. I added 20 more to my stack. When I checked out, I was asked why I was buying so many books and after I said BookCrossing and explained that I was going to give them away for free, I was told that I could have everything on the 5 for $1.00, 20 for .50 shelves. I made a few trips to my car with my BookCrossing tote bags full, emptying them out and going back for more. [Between the books I bought and the books they gave me for free, I came home with 120 books!] As I was leaving I was given a phone number and a request to call the Sister in charge.

When I did she asked me more about BookCrossing and then told me I could come in at my convenience to pick up more books (for free) as they had too many. Wilderwoman and I drove there today. I brought lots of printed material about BookCrossing and picked up seven boxes of books. (I could have taken more, but that was all that fit in my car.) Wilderwoman and I both bought a few more books and things, as we felt we should support the store, since they were so generous with us.

They kept thanking us for helping them out, as we were doing the same to them. AND, as we were was leaving, the Sister said, "We cull books every Monday, will you be back every week?" I can't believe it!!!!! Free books!!!!!! I'm in BookCrossing heaven!!!!!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
A few weeks ago I stopped at Good Cause Thrift Shop http://www.mcauleyhs.org/---/good_cause_thrift_shop/ where of course I headed immediately to the book shelves. Their prices were quite reasonable and I bought a bunch for BookCrossing.

Then a week or two ago, I made a 2nd visit, picked out a bunch of books for various Release Challenges and made my way to the register to check out with my two plastic shopping baskets full. That's when I saw the shelf with "5 hardcovers for $1.00" on it, so I added 5 more. Then I saw a sign on a lower shelf, "20 paperbacks for 50 cents" -- well, what could I do. I added 20 more to my stack. When I checked out, I was asked why I was buying so many books and after I said BookCrossing and explained that I was going to give them away for free, I was told that I could have everything on the 5 for $1.00, 20 for .50 shelves. I made a few trips to my car with my BookCrossing tote bags full, emptying them out and going back for more. [Between the books I bought and the books they gave me for free, I came home with 120 books!] As I was leaving I was given a phone number and a request to call the Sister in charge.

When I did she asked me more about BookCrossing and then told me I could come in at my convenience to pick up more books (for free) as they had too many. Wilderwoman and I drove there today. I brought lots of printed material about BookCrossing and picked up seven boxes of books. (I could have taken more, but that was all that fit in my car.) Wilderwoman and I both bought a few more books and things, as we felt we should support the store, since they were so generous with us.

They kept thanking us for helping them out, as we were doing the same to them. AND, as we were was leaving, the Sister said, "We cull books every Monday, will you be back every week?" I can't believe it!!!!! Free books!!!!!! I'm in BookCrossing heaven!!!!!
Profile Image

Wow!

That really does sound like BookCrossing heaven! Yay! :)

I keep drooling with envy when all you guys write about charity shops and books for a couple of cents, etc. Nothing like that here, so I am really looking forward to my UK trip this winter. I am gonna raid charity shops for books and go wild with wild releasing! :)

Enjoy the oodles of books that you'll get to register and release! :D
Profile Image
Wow, wow and triple wow! I am drooling too. We sometimes get a bargain when we can fill a bag for $5 at some of our Charity Ships, but generally pay $2 -$4 per book and I think that is pretty good. You are indeed in bookcrossing heaven.
Profile Image

STOP!!!!!

I had a source similar to that ages ago and I moved thousands of pounds of books. Before you fill the house just think of having to get rid of the ones you will never read.
It is impossible to throw away books so have a plan of where they will go when you find you have too many...
because you know you'll never stop collecting more.
Profile Image
I don't understand your point. Surely it is just a matter of releasing the books. That is what most bookcrossers do.
Profile Image
Surely it is just a matter of releasing the books.

Exactly. And if there are too many to handle, just give them out by the boxfull to other members in your are. I've been doing the very same thing for years.

I don't see any need for the wet blanket treatment. Solittletime is the sensible sort, as far as I know!
Profile Image
I don't see any need for the wet blanket treatment. Solittletime is the sensible sort, as far as I know!

I'm sorry. That didn't translate to print the way it was in my head. I didn't mean to rain on her parade.
AND I do give away boxes of books. I've spent more money giving away books than I spent buying them. For me that has become a problem of sorts. I don't have enough for postage anymore and I've little time for wild releases (or even registering )with working 60 hours a week. Even after offering many on Freecycle.org and Craigslist I've had very few takers. Actually it's more no shows for pick ups rather than no takers.
Profile Image
Solittletime is the sensible sort, as far as I know!

Thank you : )
Profile Image
I had a source similar to that ages ago and I moved thousands of pounds of books. Before you fill the house just think of having to get rid of the ones you will never read.
It is impossible to throw away books so have a plan of where they will go when you find you have too many...
because you know you'll never stop collecting more.

I bought 800 books from my neighbour's garage sale for $20! 22 boxes in all.

I sorted as follows:
- out dated and didn't even register. Dropped at local bookswap shelves.
- really really good and expensive ones, I took to a book store and received $185 credit for future purchases
- huge amount of books for our United Way book sale at work: ones that didn't have very intersting titles and I didn't register these, either.
- 2 boxes of spiritual books which I will register and give to a friend's church.
- 2 boxes of childrens books, to register
- 1 box of German books: I'm thinking Octoberfest?
- 2 boxes for future release challenges
- still leaving several boxes for BookCrossing

Half the fun was sorting them all! Have fun!!!

Profile Image
Before you fill the house just think of having to get rid of the ones you will never read.

Out of that first seven boxes there weren't any at all that I wanted to read. All for releasing. I don't plan to go every week, just when I can find room for more. I was just astounded that she not only offered, but kept thanking ME for taking them.

I LOVE Release Challenges so the 1st thing I did was sort out the ones that would work for various Challenges and they are in separate stacks. There were some that I had to throw out as they were in very poor shape and unrepairable, much as it hurts to discard a book. A few that weren't too bad my friend, wilderwoman, who know about these things, is able to repair for me.

There were a few classes on tape and one on disc and a few video tapes that aren't really books that I could register; all of those I'll give to Goodwill probably. And the rest I'll register as I have the time and mostly wild release them.

I didn't get around to counting them before I started releasing, but out of that last batch of 120 from the trip a few weeks before, 87 were set aside for 14 Release Challenges, one turned out to be a book that I had registered and released previously that I'll re-release, and I've done 4 controlled releases of books that I gave to BookCrossing friends. So there were only 28 out of 120 that I haven't got plans for yet. :)

Profile Image
I can understand your enthusiasm. Long may it last.
Profile Image

Awesome!!

Might I suggest you open a OBCZ? It can be very rewarding,frustrating,fun,nervewracking,amazing...well you get the point. I have two and love every crazy minute of them!
Profile Image
Might I suggest you open a OBCZ? It can be very rewarding,frustrating,fun,nervewracking,amazing...well you get the point. I have two and love every crazy minute of them!

I've got 4 right now, though I must admit I don't get to them often enough...
Profile Image
I had one for a while - met a man who managed a local Borders, and he had boxes of books marked for Donation. He said I could come in on a regular basis and pick them up, which I was able to do several times before they went out of business. We had an understanding about subject matter, and he seldom gave me anything that was into the explicit category. My it was fun picking up 3 boxes of NEW books at a time and sorting them out!

Fracula has a good point, and I sort similarly. My local library got a lot for their annual book sale (I even saw one I had donated that made it onto the shelves!), my church thrift shop got a bunch, some were special interest and I knew people who wanted them, a bunch for BookCrossing, and some for Goodwill.

Enjoy, but back off if it becomes too much trouble. You do not have a personal responsibiility to save all the unwanted books in the world.
Profile Image
Enjoy, but back off if it becomes too much trouble. You do not have a personal responsibiility to save all the unwanted books in the world.

I don't intend to go in every week, I was just amazed that they offered. I'll go in when I've given away enough so I can actually walk into my living room again without falling over the piles!
Profile Image
oh my word, you lucky thing! have fun!
Profile Image
They sound lovely! You're going to be very busy releasin all those books!
Profile Image
You're going to be very busy releasin all those books!

I haven't been back yet for another batch, because I still have stacks on my living room floor. But maybe by next week, I'll have made room... : )
Profile Image
What an adventure! I'm sorry I didn't have more time to explore Portland when I was there this summer..I made it to one thrift store, almost by accident (it was in a little mall a couple of blocks away from my hotel, near the Dollar Tree), but not that one.
Profile Image
What an adventure! I'm sorry I didn't have more time to explore Portland when I was there this summer

Well, next time you're here, I'll have to take you there : )
Profile Image

Portland

Well, if my (I'm not sure exactly what degree) cousin is still playing for the Sea Dogs next year, I might be back. :)
Profile Image
There is a book sale in my town and today was 10 cent day. Any book (hard or soft cover) is just 10 cents. I bought $3 worth all to release... boy it has taken a while to register them all. Now I have to write release notes. lol. Still lots of fun.
Profile Image
And paperbacks are .10, some hardbacks are also .10, most hardbacks are .50. I volunteer for every sale and I always get a kick out of people's reaction when I ask them..."Where else, if you stick to the .10 books, could you get 200 books for $20?!" really makes them excited to think 200 for the price of one in a new book bookstore!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.