corner corner How to register children's chunky books?

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

How to register children's chunky books?

I scored big on children's books for helping out with an upcoming book sale. My question is how to register those chunky toddler books without ruining them by sticking a huge label on some pictures. I'm thinking it might be better not to BC register them and simply donate them to the Friends of the Library.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you do?

SqueakyChu

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I scored big on children's books for helping out with an upcoming book sale. My question is how to register those chunky toddler books without ruining them by sticking a huge label on some pictures. I'm thinking it might be better not to BC register them and simply donate them to the Friends of the Library.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you do?

SqueakyChu
Profile Image
You can label them by hand if you want; just write the basic info in a corner somewhere, or across the tummy of the cover-animal, or in tiny print down the edge of the copyright page... There are templates for very small labels, too, if you'd rather have some kind of printed label. Or use one of the colorful spine-labels from the Supply Store, and write the BCID next to it (in indelible ink, of course, safe for toddlers to chew on!).

But if you don't want to go to the trouble - and if you expect that the people who get the books won't want to journal them OR send them traveling (at least while the kids still enjoy them), you could just leave them unregistered.
Profile Image
You can label them by hand if you want; just write the basic info in a corner somewhere

I did this with a board book, wrote along the bottom of the first page. Then I left it down low in a Christmas tree near the Christmas markets one year and a very happy child discovered it (and their enthusiastic adult companion journalled it!)
Profile Image
You can label them by hand if you want; just write the basic info in a corner somewhere

I did this with a board book, wrote along the bottom of the first page. Then I left it down low in a Christmas tree near the Christmas markets one year and a very happy child discovered it (and their enthusiastic adult companion journalled it!)

That's so cool! :)
Profile Image
For board books there is usually no place to put a BCID label inside without covering part of the story.

I put one of my standard pre-numbered labels on the back cover, nothing inside. And a Tiny Sticker from the Supply Store on the spine. And I have very small labels that were designed by Dawni that say:

I'm not lost...
I'm free
Look Inside for Details

Well, I edited them and printed up some that say instead:

I'm not lost...
I'm free
See back for details

And I usually use them on board books. I cover ALL labels with clear packing tape on all my books.

It is a word doc. I can *try* to send it if you want it. I print them on a full-size label sheet and cut them out to use them.

I just registered a board book so you can see the label, not sure it's big enough to read: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9935631 (Actually if you click on the image it enlarges it enough to see, I think.)
Profile Image
I do what Gory does -- label by hand, with the website and BCID, usually using a sharpie-type pen, and usually on the back of the book. I don't worry too much about labels, actually, doing pretty much the minimum. I have a fear of stickers coming off if a child gums the book, and the sticker getting lodged in the kid's airway. It's the pediatric nurse in me, I guess.
Profile Image
Thank you all for your replies. I ended up using the pre-numbered labels on the back of the books and covering them with sealing tape. No one is going to lick a label off of my books! Other than covering a few things - a picture here, an ISBN number there - this seems to work pretyy well for me.
Profile Image

My idea

What I've done is to write it with a pen on a small post-it note and stick it somewhere where it doesn't spoil the book too much. Afterwards, I've covered the small post-it not with the BCID with cellotape... and the children/toddler book was ready to go.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.