corner corner Interesting visit to Burger King

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Interesting visit to Burger King

I stopped at Burger King for a quick bite on my way home Friday night and, feeling tired and a little discouraged at not getting journal entries from previous releases there, wondering if they were just getting thrown out, I decided to just bring in the book I was reading and leave the books I had ready to release in the car.

I got my chicken sandwich and was reading and eating when one of the employees walked by and asked, "Are you the one who leaves books here?" Which was odd, since it was probably the first time I'd stopped there when I didn't bring in books to release.

But I fessed up and said I hadn't brought any in today as I thought maybe they just got thrown out. She said no, she read them and passed them on to others as well. I was so delighted that I ran out to the car, brought in 5 books, released them and showered lots of printed info on that employee and another who is working there for the summer and going back home to Jamaica in the fall. (Hoping that maybe a book will travel to Jamaica with him.) I explained about journaling and said I'd bring in more books later this week.

Even though I haven't gotten catches from there, knowing that folks are reading and enjoying and then sharing the books I have left there just cheered me up a whole lot.

And maybe now that we've talked about it, I may get a JE down the road. : )

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/38252

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I stopped at Burger King for a quick bite on my way home Friday night and, feeling tired and a little discouraged at not getting journal entries from previous releases there, wondering if they were just getting thrown out, I decided to just bring in the book I was reading and leave the books I had ready to release in the car.

I got my chicken sandwich and was reading and eating when one of the employees walked by and asked, "Are you the one who leaves books here?" Which was odd, since it was probably the first time I'd stopped there when I didn't bring in books to release.

But I fessed up and said I hadn't brought any in today as I thought maybe they just got thrown out. She said no, she read them and passed them on to others as well. I was so delighted that I ran out to the car, brought in 5 books, released them and showered lots of printed info on that employee and another who is working there for the summer and going back home to Jamaica in the fall. (Hoping that maybe a book will travel to Jamaica with him.) I explained about journaling and said I'd bring in more books later this week.

Even though I haven't gotten catches from there, knowing that folks are reading and enjoying and then sharing the books I have left there just cheered me up a whole lot.

And maybe now that we've talked about it, I may get a JE down the road. : )

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/38252
Profile Image
If I found that the books had been regularly taken but not journalled I would be tempted to find another place to leave them.
Profile Image
If I found that the books had been regularly taken but not journalled I would be tempted to find another place to leave them.

I suppose it all depends on your motivation for Bookcrossing. Don't get me wrong - I love to get a JE - but I am happy to know that I am sharing books with other folks. For me it's a Random Act of Kindness, the JE is like a thankyou but I'm willing to keep extending my acts of kindness whether I get a thankyou or not.
Profile Image

You wouldn't want to come to a Sydney Bookcrossing meetup then. Quite a few BC recalcitrants attend - reliable readers but unreliable journallers. But they're excused because they're good company!

Seriously though, I'd be happy just knowing they'd been taken and presumably read. If I knew they *weren't * being taken I'd then consider finding another release location.
Profile Image

That's brilliant. It's great to know the books are being really appreciated and not thrown out.

An OBCZ in Dublin has a lot of activity, often with books being read and returned but not journalled.
Profile Image
I often see someone pick up one of my released books, read the post-it on the cover and put the book in their bag. I don't get a JE but sometimes months later I'll get one. I'm just happy someone else gets to enjoy the book.
Profile Image
That is really a nice story. Give a damn on JE's if the books are taken and read.

For about 8 month hexenberg73 and I run an OBCZ in a café over here and exactly 565 Books have passed that OBCZ in that time. About every week-end I go there to have a coffee or a meal and nearly every time I see people taking and/or bringing books or they ask the staff or me about the OBCZ. JE's are barely written, but the people seem to be happy with their books.

I am happy that you somehow made the same experience now. I send you a smile. :-)
Profile Image
I am thankful I have some time to while away on the computer, and I bet that some of the people who pick up my books do not have this kind of time available at the keyboard. Perhaps the only way some people can use a computer at all, is to go to a library and use one for a limited time period, during which they have crucial life tasks to complete. Possibly related to job searching etc.

People who work in a fast food restaurant might fall into this category. I would just be glad ---absolutely thrilled, actually------ that they were enjoying the books and that it was happening because of me. Well done, solittletime!

Profile Image
im the same - i' happy to know books are picked up and taken, no matter about JEs.

but... i do wonder - don;t the people get curious about it? I found out about Bc when i found a book - I can't imagine finding a BC book then not at least checking out the site to see what it's all about.
Profile Image
can't imagine finding a BC book then not at least checking out the site to see what it's all about

Me neither. Just like I can't imagine all the people that never look or ask about the books if I'm sitting in a restaurant labeling and taping and getting a big stack of books ready to leave there.

Nothing makes me happier than when someone stops at my table and asks, then I can explain and offer them books and info. But most people never even glance at them.

Books are such a magnet for me that I'd HAVE to stop and ask and then go online too.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.