corner corner Is anyone else celebrating Towel Day this year?

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Is anyone else celebrating Towel Day this year?

May 25th is "Towel Day"! We will be celebrating at our weekly BC meetup at the BodaciousBooks OBCZ, in Hesperia, CA that morning.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
May 25th is "Towel Day"! We will be celebrating at our weekly BC meetup at the BodaciousBooks OBCZ, in Hesperia, CA that morning.
Profile Image

Yup

I always do... and I always treat myself to a new book from my favouitre sci-fi/fanatasy shop that day too :) I tend to be the only girl in there with a towel (welll.... I tend to be the only girl in there, point blank, tbh. sigh) but I sport it proudly, hoppy frood that I be :)

I wear lilac on the same day, in reference to Terry Pratchett's book Nightwatch. The date features in Nightwatch, which was published about 9 months after the first towel day, and as pratchett & adams were friends, I always wonder if Terry chose the date on purpose to honour his friend? I don't know if the book would have still been in editing at that point?
Profile Image

Possibly

I have Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy in my TBR pile because I have plans to re-read it. I'll try to read one of the books so that I can post a review of it on this date.
Profile Image
May 25th is "Towel Day"!

Okay, I give up. What the heck is "Towel Day?"
Profile Image

Towel day

is a celebration of the life of Douglas Adams, the author of "The Hitchers Guide to the Galaxy" who passed on March 11, 2001. Two weeks later on March 25th the first "Towel Day" was celebrated. It has been celebrated every March 25th since then all over the world. Readers carry a towel with then in honor of a passege in the book, that explains why a towel is one of the most important things a hitchiker in the galaxy needs to carry.
If you Google "Towel Day 2011" you can read the passage in a number of different languages.
Bookcrossers especially should celebrate because our beloved "Ballycumber" is named after a book found within one of his other books.
What follows is the explaination found in the FAQ's for BC Terminology
"Ballycumber C. BookCrossing is the name of our little running book mascot. The origin of his name makes an interesting story, so settle down my friends, while I tell you all about it.

Once upon a time, there was an author named Douglas Adams, who wrote a book called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, among others. In The Meaning of Liff he coined the word "ballycumber" to refer to "one of the six half-read books lying somewhere in your bed." That is an image that most of us can appreciate, isn't it? So, it seemed like the proper name for our friend, and to make it even more perfect, it can be shortened to BC. "

Profile Image

RE: Towel day

Bookcrossers especially should celebrate because our beloved "Ballycumber" is named after a book found within one of his other books.
What follows is the explaination found in the FAQ's for BC Terminology
"Ballycumber C. BookCrossing is the name of our little running book mascot. The origin of his name makes an interesting story, so settle down my friends, while I tell you all about it.

Once upon a time, there was an author named Douglas Adams, who wrote a book called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, among others. In The Meaning of Liff he coined the word "ballycumber" to refer to "one of the six half-read books lying somewhere in your bed." That is an image that most of us can appreciate, isn't it? So, it seemed like the proper name for our friend, and to make it even more perfect, it can be shortened to BC. "

well i never knew that! Brilliant! Thanks you
Profile Image
In The Meaning of Liff he coined the word "ballycumber

Ballycumber is also a village in Ireland. If you attend the Dublin 2012 convention you can visit Ballycumber and release books there!
Profile Image
In The Meaning of Liff he coined the word "ballycumber

Ballycumber is also a village in Ireland. If you attend the Dublin 2012 convention you can visit Ballycumber and release books there!

The whole book is pretty funny -- he takes the names ofvillages and places in England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland and "defines" them. Hence the title of the book "The Meaning of Liff"

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.