corner corner Stamps (now that the slim stamps are no longer in the Supply Store)

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Stamps (now that the slim stamps are no longer in the Supply Store)

I love the bookcrossing slim stamps that one could get in the Supply Store before.
But now that they aren't available any more, AND I can't find my stamp any more (which I miss so), I wonder if any of you others would have any recommendations for stamps.

Even when a book has proper labels and stickers on the cover, I think it still needs some brights stickers. Once someone starts and finishes a book, it helps if they are reminded about making the journal entry. And making the reminder with a stamp looks so much more professional and inviting than making a handwritten entry (which I sometimes do, but I don't think all the people who end up finding the books are pharmacists or can read impossible, lefty handwriting).

So. Have any of you others ordered (or made) any custom stamps from elsewhere?
Where? And what text did it have?
Are you happy with the stamp(s) you got?

I did send a feedback to the store (as I really, really would order a replacement stamp if they had those still), but they tell they don't plan to add them to the selection... unless a lot of people would ask for them again etc.
So any of you others miss that stamp? Send more feedback.
The stamp was more than the ballycumber stamp, but one never runs out of that stamp. Or it's about 30,000 stamps before needing to add more ink.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I love the bookcrossing slim stamps that one could get in the Supply Store before.
But now that they aren't available any more, AND I can't find my stamp any more (which I miss so), I wonder if any of you others would have any recommendations for stamps.

Even when a book has proper labels and stickers on the cover, I think it still needs some brights stickers. Once someone starts and finishes a book, it helps if they are reminded about making the journal entry. And making the reminder with a stamp looks so much more professional and inviting than making a handwritten entry (which I sometimes do, but I don't think all the people who end up finding the books are pharmacists or can read impossible, lefty handwriting).

So. Have any of you others ordered (or made) any custom stamps from elsewhere?
Where? And what text did it have?
Are you happy with the stamp(s) you got?

I did send a feedback to the store (as I really, really would order a replacement stamp if they had those still), but they tell they don't plan to add them to the selection... unless a lot of people would ask for them again etc.
So any of you others miss that stamp? Send more feedback.
The stamp was more than the ballycumber stamp, but one never runs out of that stamp. Or it's about 30,000 stamps before needing to add more ink.
Profile Image
And making the reminder with a stamp looks so much more professional and inviting than making a handwritten entry (which I sometimes do, but I don't think all the people who end up finding the books are pharmacists or can read impossible, lefty handwriting).

I used to print two labels for each book (I use the pre-numbered labels, but you can use hand-written numbers as well) and put one in the front and one in the back of the book. I still do for hardcover books. That might work if your handwriting is really that bad, until you get another stamp... plus it's a lot easier than writing out a message each time.
Profile Image
I've had custom stamps made in the past - plain rubber ones, not self-inking - and was quite happy with them. I haven't priced them lately but I think they can be done fairly inexpensively. And I use a self-customizing stamp too, that cost about $25, and comes with sets of letters that can be arranged into different messages.
Profile Image
I had a stamp made up at Staples that says:

Check out where this books has been. Go to http://www.bookcrossing.com and enter this BCID

I use it at the end of books, when I remember.

I also had a stamp made with our Charleston logo. When I had that one made, it was a two-fer special, so I had two made and gave the other to Kiptrix. She stamps the title page of her books with it. :)

I did feel a little guilty making the stamp, because I'd rather BookCrossing get the money for my supplies, but they didn't carry this, and I don't let it take the place of real labels etc if I can help it.
Profile Image
I did feel a little guilty making the stamp, because I'd rather BookCrossing get the money for my supplies, but they didn't carry this

Same here when I ordered a Dutch stamp. And when eventually the Slim Stamp came out in Dutch, I ordered one of those as well.

It's a shame they don't sell well enough to keep them in stock. Maybe, in time, BC will find an on-demand solution that's affordable.
Profile Image
But now that they aren't available any more, AND I can't find my stamp any more (which I miss so)

aetm, if you send me your address, I'll send you my slim stamp. I'm too lazy to use it and it's like new :)
Profile Image
from Vistaprint a couple of years ago. http://tinyurl.com/3bduzrs

I've gotten a bunch of stuff from Vistaprint over the year, mostly postcards, (there would have been one with the book I send recently) and all the ones that I have chosen have been "free" which means they make their money on the postage and handling charges, I guess.

The rubber stamp I picked allowed 3 lines. I had http://www.BookCrossing.com on the name line, nothing on address line 1, and BCID: on address line 2, so I could write it in underneath after stamping.

It works okay, I just don't think to use it that often.

The main disadvantage of buying from Vistaprint is that once they get your e-mail, they send an offer just about every day. But it is worth it to me, as I don't mind clicking "delete" and I like the postcards I get from them.
Profile Image
I did get 2 custom stamps over time, not the ones from BC supply store.
One was vistaprint's "free" one. Tiny, but nice inside the books in some cases.
The other was from rubberstamps.net, a plain old-fashioned rubber-stamp. Which I do use a lot, as it has custom text, font, and BC logo, and a place for the BCID indicated. And once I had got this custom stamp, of course I found the BC-self inking one too.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.