corner corner De-winged

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

De-winged

Gee. I guess it's because I am not on face book so I never saw a discussion of what the wing policy was going to be. Just as I never saw the discussions on the 'new' look and redesign. Woke up this morning de-winged. Was it something I said?? Something I muttered as all my favorite features were removed (maps/site clean-up/most popular threads....)? Anyone have the same problem? Confusion? Disillusionment?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Gee. I guess it's because I am not on face book so I never saw a discussion of what the wing policy was going to be. Just as I never saw the discussions on the 'new' look and redesign. Woke up this morning de-winged. Was it something I said?? Something I muttered as all my favorite features were removed (maps/site clean-up/most popular threads....)? Anyone have the same problem? Confusion? Disillusionment?
Profile Image

Me too

I just assumed I must have forgotten when I got mine so I scraped together $15 and so I'm good til May 15th. I run 2 OBCZ's so I doubt it was anything personal about anything you said or did.
Profile Image
...an expiration date; that's not a new thing. If you paid for more wing-time than you got, you should be able to get them extended by contacting BC Support and providing the order number of your last Supply Store order.

If you didn't get members-plus yourself, and if you weren't given them by someone else, then you may have received them as a side effect of the site change. As I understand it, some people were accidentally granted long-term wings, but those were pulled back.

As for the many site changes, most of that happened last May, so you're a bit late to the party {wry grin}. Then again, if you haven't visited the site since then, you were spared a lot of the rougher times immediately following the changeover; since then, most of the previously-existing features have been restored (though not always in the same form as before). There are still some missing, including the maps, but most if not all of those are planned for the future. The "roadmap" link at the bottom of the page has a brief list of planned features, and the Beta forum has ongoing discussions of problems and "DWAB" ("Does Not Work As Before") items.

Hope you can enjoy the not-really-all-that-new-anymore site {wry grin}!
Profile Image

It was announced in the Announcement Forum about 2 or 3 weeks ago that anyone who had the mistake of wings to 2070 that it had been fixed and we were given until some date in January before they would be removed. I quickly renewed my wings as I don't like to be without wings. You don't need to be on Facebook to know what is happening on bookcrossing as support always uses the Announcement forum.
Profile Image
I appreciate all the responses. Yes I support the site, have supported the site, and this is my first time not having wings since a month after I joined. My ironic complaints are,I suppose,a stodgy middle age response to the culture change that occured last year.
I voiced only one slightly negative comment through last May's wrencing and frustrating times; and that was the site had seemed to go away from the quirky individualism I enjoyed, and more to flash and no substance. I kept quiet after that, although I privately lamented the appearance that 'volunteerism' and 'owning' the site by contributing through doing site clean -up was no longer valued. Instead money/advertizing and 'the buzz' was what counted.
As you can probably tell, I hate Compact Flourescent bulbs, refuse to text, and think about a culture that labels people who are concerned with such issues as the long range mission and sustainablity of BC as "hobbyists and wannabes". Very telling, that labeling.
Profile Image
I privately lamented the appearance that 'volunteerism' and 'owning' the site by contributing through doing site clean -up was no longer valued.

What gave you that impression? I bet that everyone, including management, will be very happy to see the Region Managers tools return.

As you can probably tell, I hate Compact Flourescent bulbs, refuse to text, and think about a culture that labels people who are concerned with such issues as the long range mission and sustainablity of BC as "hobbyists and wannabes". Very telling, that labeling.

Huh. Yes, it's telling... and I've always regarded it as positive: this forum is not just for activists, but also for those who feel that they would like to be so. And hobbyists: yes, of course! We're all hobbyists here... no one does BookCrossing for a living. So in my eyes, that means: even if you don't eat, drink and breathe Bookcrossing, this forum is meant for you.
I can definitely get behind this kind of labeling. It's nice and inclusive.

So, are you still wondering about your wings, or is that all cleared up? Or was it ironic? It's hard to tell for me, sorry.

I didn't really understand the remarks about Facebook either.
Profile Image
Ex academics are difficult. I spent a large portion of my life happily obscuring meaning by speaking densely. This is important so I will do my best to put out plainly my concerns. I apologize in advance if my manner seems pendantic or patronizing. That is not my intent.

When I found BC I was delighted. I viewed it as a way an individual could CHANGE the world for the better in a small way. The best 'caught' I ever got was from an old man sitting in a coffe shop waiting to go visit his sister in the hospice ward of a hospital. It brightened his day and widened his world up a little bit again during a difficult time. That to me was the meaning of Book Crossing. I remain concerned that many of the changes and attitudes that are occuring in BC is in the direction of a social network site that is primarily social, rather than a book site for readers that has a social network element. Hence the references to Facebook.

As for Regional Manager tools, Great, it will be wonderful when those people can again give their time and make the site smoother. I always appreciated their unsung labors. That was my point. Regional managers have an easier time if peons (like me) are working at making their work easier. In 2009 I challenged myself by providing concise reports on duplications in my area supported through outside links to make their 'clean-up' tasks faster and more worry-free. That was how I could support the site outside of money and make it work better. That opportunity is gone, and now we have 2 Minneapolis cities in Minnesota. My concern about 'owning' the site is that when no one can do 'unsung labor', and that 'unsung labor' is not valued, things fall apart quickly into acrimony. Think the little red hen story.

This leads me to 'Activists, entusiasts, hobbyists, wannabes'. From the beginning, I thought this label awful. I read this and thought to myself 'why not just call me an old fogey who is a poseuer?' From Moem's response that was clearly not the intent. But my visceral reaction to that category remains.

As for wings, not a problem. I supported BC and thought it reasonable. My surprise was I thought mine came up in February, so was surprised to be part of the massive de-wing.

My concerns remain that the quiet users of BC are not being listened to. I fear that if I do not want to participate in social networking, the bc site may have no room for me in the future. That would be a shame as I would miss the idea.
Profile Image
It helps a lot. I have a problem with spotting irony in foreign languages, so I do appreciate the very straightforward explanation of your views. It doesn't come across as patronising at all, no worries.

Yes, you can link your BookCrossing account to Facebook now, if you so wish; I personally will do no such thing. On the other hand, it may be a nice way for Facebook-users to see what BookCrossing is about, and for members of both sites to spread the word about BC to their Facebook friends.

As long as I can still register and release books here, the way I've done for years, I will continue to do so, and use BookCrossing for what is still its primary purpose. It's what will always make BookCrossing different from all the social networking sites and book swapping sites out there. It's what I'm here for.

As for the wings: if you feel that yours were clipped too early, then by all means contact Support, as in my experience they'll be happy to check for you, and fix what needs fixing.

My concerns remain that the quiet users of BC are not being listened to.

It can't be easy, listening to someone who's quiet ;-)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.