corner corner Advice for approaching a school or business about being a crossing zone

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Advice for approaching a school or business about being a crossing zone

Hi all! I have been away from bookcrossing for a while and I'm thinking about getting more involved again. I want to start a bookcrossing zone, either at the community college I teach at or at the coffee shop next door. I like the guys who work at the coffee shop and I have a good rapport with them and I could see if they would be willing to give me a little space to set up a crossing zone in their shop which could potentially bring in new business. I also thought about trying to set up a place to do this in our community college building. Does anyone have any advice for me? Which is better: the coffee shop or the school? Does anyone have experience doing something like this? Do crossing zones really bring in business for coffee shops? Thanks!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi all! I have been away from bookcrossing for a while and I'm thinking about getting more involved again. I want to start a bookcrossing zone, either at the community college I teach at or at the coffee shop next door. I like the guys who work at the coffee shop and I have a good rapport with them and I could see if they would be willing to give me a little space to set up a crossing zone in their shop which could potentially bring in new business. I also thought about trying to set up a place to do this in our community college building. Does anyone have any advice for me? Which is better: the coffee shop or the school? Does anyone have experience doing something like this? Do crossing zones really bring in business for coffee shops? Thanks!
Profile Image
...the OBCZ Managers forum? If there aren't any current threads about starting an OBCZ, you could try searching for older ones, or just post your question there - the folks who have started OBCZs are more likely to see it in that forum.

I don't have any strong evidence one way or the other, but it does seem to me that the coffee shop might be a slightly better option, if only because people might be more likely to stop by there than to go into a community college (if they don't attend, anyway). But either or both might be good options...
Profile Image
Wow! Thanks for letting me know about the OBCZ Managers forum. I didn't even see that when browsing. I'll check it out, and post this again there!
Profile Image
I found a great new spot for our OBCZ. I had coffee there a few times, then just approached the owner with a couple of pages of info printed off the BC site, as well as a few labelled books and a couple of bookmarks to show her how the books can be followed. I reassured her that I would provide the bookcase (only 18" wide, but with four shelves) and keep it stocked with books and explained that other BCers and book lovers would soon discover its whereabouts and bring in new customers. As we live in France I also ensure that it has both French and English books and info sheets.
I installed the shelves and about 55 books yesterday and this morning we had already had several people saying how pleased they were to see the books there.

Lots of luck, it's such a positive addition to an establishment that I found it doesn't take much persuasion and it's a lot of fun.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.