corner corner BC book labels

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BC book labels

When I was looking at another thread about lost wild-released books, I saw some-one mention that BC book labels might be removed. I once went looking for released books in a charity shop, only two days after release, and I found books with the right titles but there was no sign of any label. I thought maybe the shop had two of each book by coincidence. But I have just checked the labels on books I have just registered and I find they peel off easily without damaging the book or leaving any noticeable trace.
Does anybody know if charity or second hand shops have a policy of peeling bookcrossing labels off books before they sell them? Maybe they think people will assume they don't have to pay for the book?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
When I was looking at another thread about lost wild-released books, I saw some-one mention that BC book labels might be removed. I once went looking for released books in a charity shop, only two days after release, and I found books with the right titles but there was no sign of any label. I thought maybe the shop had two of each book by coincidence. But I have just checked the labels on books I have just registered and I find they peel off easily without damaging the book or leaving any noticeable trace.
Does anybody know if charity or second hand shops have a policy of peeling bookcrossing labels off books before they sell them? Maybe they think people will assume they don't have to pay for the book?
Profile Image
the second hand shops that have come into possession of my released books (the finders have brought them in to sell/trade), have journaled the books and said that they have removed the "I'm free" stickers but left the other labels on.

I have also seen BC books in second hand stores and did actually hunt for one ( of many that I knew had been released in a second hand store) and caught it.
Profile Image

I always....

Cover my labels with clear tape, after they have been attached to their book. Both to protect them and to keep them from being easily removed.
Profile Image
Cover my labels with clear tape, after they have been attached to their book. Both to protect them and to keep them from being easily removed.

That's what I do too. I use Scotch clear packaging tape on all labels and stickers.
Profile Image
does not have anything on it that says "I'm free". I don't think it's fair to put them in that position.

But when I wild release a book, it has the label inside covered with clear tape, a sticker on the outside that says "I'm not lost, I'm FREE... Look inside for details", and it has a Post it that says it's free.
Profile Image
...policies about removing identifying information (including BC bookplates as well as others), though in many cases this may not be an official policy, and may have more to do with an individual's perception of whether or not the labels might interfere with re-selling the books. [I do wish there were a more clear "It's perfectly OK for BC-labeled books to be sold" statement somewhere - it's in the FAQ but not that easy to find. Individuals can certainly add "free book" or "not for resale" to their own books if they like; I know some BCers really don't like the idea of their books coming up for sale. But it's not against site policy at all, and I'd much rather have BC books sold with labels intact than discarded or de-labeled by people who assume they can't be sold.]

I haven't tried removing the bookplate labels - if they really can be stripped without damaging the books, that could be a problem. Might be worth posting a Features request that next time the store sends out an order for labels, they ask for some that can't be removed - although I suppose that this might depend on the nature of the end-papers in the books themselves; labels attached to shiny/glossy endpapers might peel off easily in any case, while those attached to matte-finish or paperback covers may be impossible to remove without damaging the books.

I do make a practice of adding the basic BC info inside the book in several places (usually the title page or table of contents, and the last page of text or the first page of the index), both as insurance against possible loss-of-label and (in the case of the end-of-the-book one) as a reminder to the reader. Many finders don't journal the books 'til they've read them, and if it's been a long time since they found the book, I figure a hint at the end doesn't hurt!

In addition to extra labeling, we could make more of an effort to educate the management and staff of local charities and secondhand book sellers, letting them know that BC-labeled books are OK to sell, and that having the labels intact might actually attract more buyers. If you're donating books to charity sales or trading them in at secondhand bookstores, it wouldn't hurt to ask the staff if the labels are OK. And if you find a BC-labeled book, pointing it out to the staff as you pay for it, expressing your delight to find such a book here (while making it clear that they will get their money {wry grin}) couldn't hurt!
Profile Image
And if you find a BC-labeled book, pointing it out to the staff as you pay for it, expressing your delight to find such a book here (while making it clear that they will get their money {wry grin}) couldn't hurt!

When I did find the book that I went hunting for in my previous post, I actually involved all of the staff in the UBS in helping me find it! I went there while on holidays in British Columbia and dragged my two kids and my mother (all of whom think I'm slightly nuts) along to help me search. So we had my family, the store staff and some other customers in the search. It was great fun for everyone. So when we actually found it, it was like a great accomplishment or winning the lottery with everyone smiling and pleased as punch. Plus my mom, my daughters and I all bought a bunch of other books as well, so I suspect these store owners won't be removing any labels.
Profile Image
I'm glad you started this thread. Now I am very curious about the local Goodwill store. I may go there tomorrow and spy on my recent donations.
Profile Image
I'm glad you started this thread. Now I am very curious about the local Goodwill store. I may go there tomorrow and spy on my recent donations.

I find only certain charity shops will accept BC books. I always show them the BC label & ask if they will by happy to sell the books before I leave a bag of donations for the first time! And I make sure they have a "travelling" book label rather than "free" book label - even if this was removed, it's still marked up inside - I put a "what did you think?" label or written note on the last page & I have the slim Ballycumber stamp which is well used ;o)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.