corner corner How old are your books?

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

How old are your books?

Since really old books can be collectible, I was wondering what bookcrossers uses as a standard for labeling a book. For myself, if it doesn't have a copyright date, I only label it if it is a discarded library book.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Since really old books can be collectible, I was wondering what bookcrossers uses as a standard for labeling a book. For myself, if it doesn't have a copyright date, I only label it if it is a discarded library book.
Profile Image
I still label them and release. I enjoy reading really old books and I know there are others out there who also love reading them. For me their "value" is in being read and shared, not "collected" for their monetary value. If a book was a really old, first edition I might check it out to see if it was rare or especially valuable. In that case I would likely sell it to afford mor Bookcrossing supplies:D
Profile Image
it doesn't matter to me if it's a collectible or not.

If I plan to release it, I register and label it, both inside and on the front cover, and on the spine.

If I plan to keep it, I don't usually bother to register it, just because I have too many to do already that are going to be released.
Profile Image
...and many quite recent books can be worth loads more than many hundred-year-old books; it depends on many factors.

Since condition is one of the factors that makes the most difference in a book's value, I often do check up on newly-acquired books that are not common titles and that are in fair shape. Once in a while I've stumbled across a winner, such as a mass-market paperback SF novel that was going for $20 and up, or a first-edition hardcover selling for $50. In those cases, if I don't want to keep the books myself, I'll probably sell them, so I can use the money for more books {grin}. I don't register such books, as labeling them would knock down the value. (Though I will happily register books that I'm planning to donate to library sales or trade in at local secondhand bookstores; in those cases I'm just trying to send the books traveling and don't really care if I get very much in credit or charitable tax deductions!)

I've found loads of books, including many that were published a century or more ago, that simply aren't collectible in the condition in which I found them, and I will happily register and release those; I love old books and I've had a few lovely catches of same. While not everyone is happy to pick up an elderly tome, those who are seem especially pleased to see one in the wild!

So: by all means, do check for hidden treasures before deciding whether to register books, but don't limit that to old ones. I saw a first edition of one of Pullman's "Golden Compass" books sell for something like $2000, and that was an unsigned, ordinary-looking hardcover of a recent title - it just happened to be the first edition and a very limited run. So you never know!
Profile Image
my old books, 19th c mainly and 1 first ed c s lewis theology book are mine mine mine
Profile Image
I have a Welsh music book and a copy of Paradise Lost from about the 1720's (or sometime around then)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.