corner corner E-BOOKS

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

E-BOOKS

Curious if anyone else has noticed an effect on their reading and release habbits due to the procurement of an E-Reader? Most of the time now i am purchasing the bulk of my novels in digital format, and only buying the paperback when its a graphic novel or something that I can't find in digital format. Kinda noticing that the number of books that I have on my shelf to release are getting cut down drastically. Has anyone else made the transition to E-Books, and what is your thought on this?

Complete Thread

Profile Image

E-BOOKS

Curious if anyone else has noticed an effect on their reading and release habbits due to the procurement of an E-Reader? Most of the time now i am purchasing the bulk of my novels in digital format, and only buying the paperback when its a graphic novel or something that I can't find in digital format. Kinda noticing that the number of books that I have on my shelf to release are getting cut down drastically. Has anyone else made the transition to E-Books, and what is your thought on this?
Profile Image

RE: E-BOOKS

Has anyone else made the transition to E-Books

No - not even tempted!
Profile Image
...do buy fewer printed books - some of the ones who've posted about their devices in the Chit-Chat or Book Talk forums have stated the lower cost of new books in e-format as one main reason for getting a device at all. This might result in their having fewer books to BookCross as time passes, but then again perhaps it won't; many of the more avid BCers go to some trouble to find cheap or free books specifically for BC use, whether they want to read them or not, and having an e-book reader probably wouldn't affect that much. [The folks who didn't buy that many books to begin with might indeed have fewer books to BookCross - but if they can replace their printed library with e-book versions, they might free up the printed copies...]

I have no particular interest in getting an e-book reader myself, but even if I had one, I'd still prowl charity shops, yard sales, and secondhand bookstores for inexpensive printed books to release. I often look for multiple copies of books I've enjoyed so that I can have my favorite titles and release them too, and I doubt that would change if I originally read the books on an e-reader.

Whether the growth of e-readers cuts down on the availability of printed books overall, I can't say; it may cause more of a shift to print-on-demand, if some publishers decide to offer titles in e-book format first, and to refrain from actual print runs at all. But since books can survive for quite some time if reasonably treated - I released a paperback from the '30s just the other day! - I expect it'll take quite a while before we run out of secondhand books to release.

And since printed books have several huge advantages over e-books, I doubt they'll disappear entirely. For one thing, you can lend one to a friend without handing over a $200 piece of hardware {grin}. And you don't have to worry about whether they're in a compatible format!
Profile Image
I find myself not prowling the second hand bookstores or the yardsales as much as I just find myself releasing books that I enjoyed but have no real incination that I am going to read them again. Or I will release a novel that I had no interest at all in finishing, just to try to get it off of my shelf and clear space for the new additions that end up making their way back as I prowl the bookstore on my time off.

I have found myself purchasing books that I enjoy just for the purpose of loaning them out or crossing them. As long as I have them on a second format, I find myself more than willing to give out my hard copies.

You do have me on the fact that if its in digital format its kinda hard to pass it off to a friend. But then again, I end up building a shelf of stuff that I just enjoy and wish to pass along to the rest of the world.
I have been noticing the reduced ticket prices though, and that has influenced my buying patterns to tend toward digital... except with comics and graphic novels... I think that might become the next big thing in my Book Crossing journey.
Profile Image
i liked reading this. I expressed my concern on the topic in the chit-chat forum. Glad to hear someone answer wisely and rationally. I also think you and I are kindred readers in a way, though I don't know that we read at all the same types of stuff. I just like your philosophy of bookcrossing, reading and used books. Me too. I often hear my cerebral self exclaiming "Me too" when I read your forum posts! Yay!

I certainly hope eBooks can be worked into the bookcrossing culture.
Profile Image
I'm still reading printed books for the most part and have yet to make the digital transition.
Profile Image
However, I mostly use it for the readers I need for school, which we get in pdf to print for ourselves. I always bring my laptop to school, since writing things down can be tough after a long day of school to me (I've DCD). So since I have my readers on there, it's no use to print them. That's expensive, and sometimes I'm not only nationally Dutch =P.

I do have some books on there I really wanted to read, but I find it so much better to read them printed, that I bought the printed versions anyway!
Profile Image
I use my laptop to read eBooks too.
Profile Image
Will some aspects of BookCrossing make the cross over to ebooks?
Profile Image
I have to admit I was very reluctant to get one of these, but one was purchased for me as a gift, so that took the decision out of my hands!
I still buy real books - I just use the kindle to take to work as it is so much lighter for me (especially as I have some back problems) than carrying huge big hardcover books and thick paperbacks. It just means I have two books on the go at all times. One "real" book that I am reading at home, and whatever ebook I have bought to have on my kindle! (i have always been the type of person who has two books on the go anyhow, so it's no real issue for me).
I am starting to notice that paperbacks don't actually last that long -as I have some novels from the 80's - purchased them new, i am the only person who ever read them, and this was back when I was so pedantic I would not even bend the spines - yet the pages are still starting to loosen and the glue breaking on the spines. Now I am thinking i will buy all the future releases of my absolute favourites (Jodi Picoult, Adele Parks etc) on kindle so I know they will not deteriorate, and continue to scour the second hand shops for other lesser known books that I can try out and then bookcross.
I don't see why the two formats can't co-exsist quite well!
Profile Image
very well stated.Pretty much describes myself.The Nook gifted by my kids and their spouses was a thing that I never would have purchased,but now that I own one I love it.No replacement for but in addition to....
Profile Image
I agree! Workmanship of new publications isn't what it used to be!
Profile Image
it would only ever be in addition to "normal" books so would appreciate recommendations.
Profile Image
I was bought a kindle for christmas and I love it, but the books I am adding are from authors who are really unknown. I think there are only 3 books on their from well known authors.
In turn I have still bought lots of books in hardback and paperback form and I still visit my local library.
I just love all things books and once an addict always an addict.
Profile Image

E-books really saves money, but I hate them because:
1. I can't enjoy reading it (no matter how interesting the context is)
2. My eyes starts to hurt after 2 hours of reading them >_>''
Profile Image

RE: RE: E-BOOKS

My eyes starts to hurt after 2 hours of reading them >_>''

What kind of device are you using to read them on?
Profile Image
I love my eReader! It's small and incredible pleasant to read on (it has really good e-ink). Because of the size, I can bring it along everywhere, which is brilliant when I'm traveling. And when I read in bed, I don't have to toss and turn as much, but relax more.

However, I wouldn't bring in when I take a bath. ;-)

I usually say "I don't read ebooks instead of, but in addition to, pbooks".
Profile Image

Curious if anyone else has noticed an effect on their reading and release habbits due to the procurement of an E-Reader?

YES!
I now find paper-books annoyingly thick, heavy, and impractical... Not sure I like that change, but I find it has happened. I also buy a -lot- more books...
Profile Image
But I have apps on my computer for Amazon and Borders as well as Nook. I love how many free books are available as e-books. I like that every Friday I get at least one free e-book from Barnes & Noble. However, I will never give up paper book. I just recieved the new Jean Auel book "The Land of the Painted Caves" in Hardback form. I know this is a series I will read again and again through my life so I had to complete my collection! I take my nook to the Dr.'s office so no matter how long I have to wait, I will never run out of reading material. But I still love my paper books too.
Profile Image
I recently got a Blackberry Playbook so that I could get advance editions of books direct from the publishers so I can review books for my blog. Still waiting for the softwares to catch up. I haven't bought any ebooks yet, but still buy lots of paper books.

I have just written about 6 free ebooks available till June 13, 2011 from Sourcebooks. Visit my blog for the titles available.

http://www.heatherpearson.com/---/my-friends-at-sourcebooks-are-at-it.html
Profile Image
I tried resisting eBooks but have failed. I dont havea device other than my laptop, but with so many free books online and so many stores offering eReaders and eBooks, I was doomed to begin with.

Let me say that as a teacher there are so many advantages to eReading. I use an eBook with my students to get them focused and to tie cnnections and other learning to the book. So much fun and very effective. Especially since my classroom now ha one of those electronic computer connected "chalkboards". No chalk needed!

I must say the ebook can't replace the cozy feeling I get when I pick up a book, smell its pages, feel its texture, and hold it. Even the touch of the cover, the textur of the pages and the look of a printed book are so much more appealing. Our strained eyes need a break from all the electronic input.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.