corner corner I have been thinking recently about registering

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I have been thinking recently about registering

a bit at a time all the books on my shelves. I realize that while I don't want to think about the end of my life (who does really), I want my books to be shared with others when I can no longer enjoy them. I'd list the ones that I don't want traveling until after my death as Permanent Collection.
Currently the only books I register are books that I intend to release, most of the others have a bookplate that designates it as mine.
Any thoughts about registering everything?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
a bit at a time all the books on my shelves. I realize that while I don't want to think about the end of my life (who does really), I want my books to be shared with others when I can no longer enjoy them. I'd list the ones that I don't want traveling until after my death as Permanent Collection.
Currently the only books I register are books that I intend to release, most of the others have a bookplate that designates it as mine.
Any thoughts about registering everything?
Profile Image
I've seen posts by quite a few people over the years who said they were registering all their books, so you're not alone. I haven't done it myself, mainly because I have several thousand "keeper" books on top of the books I'm prepared to release, and I simply don't have the time to register them all! But I do register most of the books that come into the house now, even if some of them wind up on my PC shelf; it's not so much that I hope they'll be a memorial to me (though that'd be nice) as that I (a) want to record my thoughts while they're fresh, and (b) may want to lend, bookring, or even wild-release the book later on, and if it's already registered and ready to go it will be easier to do that.

I have some books that are valuable as collectibles, and I probably won't register those at all, as adding the labeling would reduce their value. Whether I need to sell them myself or whether they wind up as part of my (pitifully skimpy!) estate, I think I'll leave those unmarked. As for all the other books that aren't really worth much to anyone but me - well, I do go over my shelves now and then to see if any books have dropped out of "keeper" status, and I'll register and release those as time permits. If I last long enough, most of my books may wind up being registered after all, but it's not a goal of mine. [Registering all the books, that is; lasting for a while yet *is* a goal of mine {grin}.]
Profile Image
When my mother, bumma, died a year ago, she'd left me with instructions to let the immediate family choose what they wanted and then to bookcross, sell, or donate the rest. But it's incredibly hard and very emotionally laden, and as a result, I've only bookcrossed books that she got through BookCrossing. She had some great collectibles, and getting those valued is also time consuming and hard.

Heaven only knows what'll happen to the thousands and thousands of books in this house when javaczuk and I check out to that great library in the sky.... (or before that, when we downsize to a cottage somewhere.)
Profile Image
I do have a few older rare books that I won't bookcross. I keep waffling between selling them to a rare books dealer or leaving them to my family.
I also have some books that I want to keep, primarily my bibliography collection, some fiction, my Shakespeare collection and my Laura Ingalls WIlder collection. These I probably won't bookcross either, but have started registering at least the books I know I'll release once I read them. I just keep debating whether to register the ones that kind of fall between the PC status and the might release eventually. At this point, my sons and I don't have really close preferences in reading material.
My eldest prefers horror and thriller type fiction. He likes Stephen King, Christopher Moore, Dean Koontz and Michael Crichton. My youngest is into sci-fi and fantasy, so not my cup of tea!
I guess I'll do as you are doing Gory, and register the newer books that are not bibliography. Thanks so much for your input!
Profile Image
The older family books (from great-great's and such) I don't enter, and I have not entered all of mine. Maybe someday I will be able to get them all in. Before my hubby died he built floor to ceiling bookcases on every wall that doesn't have a door or window in the middle so it will take a LOT of time to enter them all!
Profile Image
Sounds like it will take some time to enter everything!
Profile Image
I don't register a book unless I've read it first and really enjoyed it.
Profile Image
I actually only have one (large) shelf of permanent collection books as I am limited for space, so I have to keep my collection down - no choice about it! I did go ahead and register all my books, but I have to admit, the pc ones I have not labelled yet as I have no real plans of releasing those ever. I have a small basket of books that are labelled and ready to release, and my unreads are also unlabelled as I won't know until I read them if i want to keep them or not! Some pc that I would consider parting with have made it to my available list as I would part with them on request - but until that time will not be labelling those either.
I think as I get much older I probably will label my pc so it is ready when I pass on. (hate to think about it, but will do it) - not ready to do aged 36, though. LOL. I plan to be hanging around for some time yet! None of my family are readers, so I know they won't want them and they most likely will go to charities - which is fine by me. I used to donate bags of books at a time to the Sammy's before I got into bookcrossing. At least all the typing and numbering is done already. All I will have to do is write out the labels to go on them. I figured it was easier to register the lot.
Profile Image
I have kept my books to one bookcase, and not a huge one either. Most of the books on my bookcase are reference books. Most fiction books, when I have read them out they go. For example, I read about 60 fiction books last year and most have now moved on. I used to give them to charity, but now I bookcross them. I only label those that are moving on. Those that are part of my permanent collection, but that I lend to other bookcrossers, I write the number on the first page, instead of labelling. That's less intrusive. If they cease to be part of my permanent collection, if for example my bookcase becomes full, I will label them then.
I will be moving to a new house soon and will be having a built-in bookcase built. I will try to keep fiction to one shelf only - the best books. The rest I will bookcross.
Profile Image
...whether a book that you lent to another BCer might get misplaced along the way, and if it has no obvious BC info (obvious to a non-BCer, anyway) it's unlikely that it will be journaled in future. And if there isn't some obvious BC info on the outside or inside-front-cover of the book, there's a chance that the BCer may forget that it's a BC book themselves, perhaps losing it among their own not-yet-registered books. Oh, and if you're mailing the books there's the chance they'll get lost in the mail; again, without obvious labeling, the odds of ever hearing back from such books are slim indeed...

Since the whole idea of BC is to enable the tracking of the specific books, I try to label mine as I register them, or at least write the BCID clearly inside the front cover until I have time to do the full label/stamp/multiple-BCID bit. And I don't let my BC-registered books out of my hands unless they are fully labeled.

Everyone has different styles of BookCrossing, of course, but I think the above shows excellent reasons to provide at least the bare minimum of "complete" labeling on any book you register. For me, that means the BookCrossing URL and the book's BCID, with (ideally) at least a line or two about "track this book" or "see where this book's been". And this should be on the inside front cover, where it can be easily found. Adding the info at other points - inner pages, title- or contents-pages, last page of text - may help improve future journaling odds, but if the only labeling is on an inner page it may be overlooked. BCers have reported registering books themselves because they didn't discover 'til later that there was a "stealth" BCID inside the book. [I almost did this myself on some books I got from another BCer at a meetup; they had BCIDs, but the numbers were just pencilled in on the inside *back* cover!]
Profile Image
A book I am releasing has a large label inside on the more obvious right hand side, a spine label, a cover label and somewhere in the book I write http://www.BookCrossing.com and its BCID number in case it ends up in a second-hand shop with its labels removed. A bookcrosser reading this book would come upon this. Also if the book has a cover I repeat the labels on the main book under the covers. I often add extra labels to bookrays (but not bookrings) that pass through my hands if the book is lacking my minimum labelling. Also, if someone has labelled the inside left-hand side, which is less obvious unless you are looking for it, I draw an arrow and a smiley face on the right-hand side pointing at it to make it more obvious.
I have only ever lent books from my permanent collection to local bookcrossers, so there is less of a chance of me not getting them back, although I see your point.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.