corner corner Book classification

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Book classification

I was moved to write the folllowing in a journal entry:

"I classified this book as "Literature and Fiction" but BookCrossing seems to have overriden my classification and called it "Women's Fiction". I have to disagree - I have no idea why one would think that this book is especially aimed at women. Surely it is not only women who find the relationships among people interesting! If so, the world is doomed."

I do not remember BookCrossing making its own decisions about classification before, or maybe I have just never before differed from the silent controller. Am I missing something/

(The book in question can be found at http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8064169/. Or, rather, the entry about the book can be found there - the book itself will be found in my usual place, at the Kingston Rose Theatre BookCrossing shelf (now there's another story) when I next get there.)

Complete Thread

Profile Image

"I classified this book as "Literature and Fiction" but BookCrossing seems to have overriden my classification and called it "Women's Fiction". I have to disagree - I have no idea why one would think that this book is especially aimed at women. Surely it is not only women who find the relationships among people interesting! If so, the world is doomed."

I do not remember BookCrossing making its own decisions about classification before, or maybe I have just never before differed from the silent controller. Am I missing something/

(The book in question can be found at http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8064169/. Or, rather, the entry about the book can be found there - the book itself will be found in my usual place, at the Kingston Rose Theatre BookCrossing shelf (now there's another story) when I next get there.)
Profile Image
I have always found that classification weird and unnecessary. Why not Men's Fiction? I have only one book in my list that someone classified Woman's Fiction. I thought it a weird choice, and am very unlikely to ever use that classification.
Profile Image

"I classified this book as "Literature and Fiction" but BookCrossing seems to have overriden my classification and called it "Women's Fiction".

I believe this is part of a bug that has been discussed in the Beta Site Testing forum. The changes come not from BookCrossing, but from the amalgamation of all the information pulled from amazon. It is on the to-do list for corrections. But you're lucky. Most of us seem to have the category automatically set to Arts and Photography at the moment.
Profile Image
You might be able to change the category via the "edit book details" page; I've had some success fixing those weird "where'd *that* come from" errors, though others have reported that their changes don't stick, so your mileage may vary. [Or you could wait 'til the problem's fixed before trying any edits; might be easier to fix it and make it stay fixed at that point!]

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.