corner corner Encouraging bookcrossing in my local area

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Encouraging bookcrossing in my local area

I run a bookcrossing meet every so often but hardly any of the people who come along are local. I love seeing the people who do come along, but it would be nice if there were people from nearby who do come along.

At the end of the meet we wild release any books left over from the meet to try and get a few new members, and there is quite a bit of wild releasing in the area.

I've also been putting business cards for the local yahoogroup inside the book but still not much activity.

maybe I'm just destined to be a lonely bookcrosser in this town. *lol*

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I run a bookcrossing meet every so often but hardly any of the people who come along are local. I love seeing the people who do come along, but it would be nice if there were people from nearby who do come along.

At the end of the meet we wild release any books left over from the meet to try and get a few new members, and there is quite a bit of wild releasing in the area.

I've also been putting business cards for the local yahoogroup inside the book but still not much activity.

maybe I'm just destined to be a lonely bookcrosser in this town. *lol*
Profile Image
Its just that I work some Saturdays and the last few have always clashed! I shall endeavor to come to the next one!!
Profile Image

Don't worry

People have lives to keep on living. The last meet clashed with holidays and people being at work. We had 5 turn up, and as one of the Nottingham bookcrossers said, they only had 2 turn up to Nottingham in April.

Will you be at Nottingham on Saturday?
Profile Image
sadly yet again no- as you say life keeps on getting in the way!! maybe catch up in july!
Profile Image
Sometimes life/work/kids just gets in the way ......

I can't make the Nottingham meet-up this Saturday but hoping to go to the one in July unless we manage to get a last minute bargain holiday somewhere. We might be sorting something out for 3rd July, a sort of adhoc meet-up if you like, as seethroughfaith is over from Finland - we've met her before at the Burton meet-ups. Shall I let you know if we sort something out?
Profile Image
release in my area get caught and garner new members, but then the new members don't do much after catching the book.
Some of the teachers, who catch the books I drop into the book basket at school, love the concept of bookcrossing and will bring me books to register and release. (On the next to last day of school in June one of the teachers brought me 18 copies of The Kite Runner to register and release.) I offer to show them how to join bc and walk them through catching a book, registering and releasing, but they would rather I just do it myself. Of the 60+ people who see the basket almost daily, only a handful have joined bc and only about three of them have any activity.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.