corner corner BornFreeBooks.com??

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BornFreeBooks.com??

Has anyone heard about www.bornfreebooks.com? It looks like it's bascially exactly like BC, they even have "BFIDs" instead of BCIDs!

In this post one of the founders says that they found out about BC, thought it was "rudimentary and difficult to grasp", and so decided to reinvent the wheel...

Their website looks lovely, but it worries me that there might soon be books out there with "BFIDs" as well as BCIDs. What do you guys think?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Has anyone heard about www.bornfreebooks.com? It looks like it's bascially exactly like BC, they even have "BFIDs" instead of BCIDs!

In this post one of the founders says that they found out about BC, thought it was "rudimentary and difficult to grasp", and so decided to reinvent the wheel...

Their website looks lovely, but it worries me that there might soon be books out there with "BFIDs" as well as BCIDs. What do you guys think?
Profile Image
I would search for it, but I'm not sure that works.
Profile Image
I would search for it, but I'm not sure that works.

It does. Quite well, even. And so much faster than before!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/430111
Profile Image
Wow, reinventing the wheel is right. :(
Profile Image
A friend of theirs was in the US and found a book, and that gave them the idea for BornFreeBooks. Out of the blue. Yeah, right.
Profile Image
is that you can barely browse or go hunting without signing up. If I visited a site like that for the first time and was required to sign up before checking it out, I would probably not become involved.
Profile Image
is that you can barely browse or go hunting without signing up. If I visited a site like that for the first time and was required to sign up before checking it out, I would probably not become involved.

Oddly enough, that's the way I feel about BookCrossing 2.0.

You can look things over, but there's no way to know that without clicking on Log In or Sign Up (or something like that, I can't see the buttons now that I'm signed in). I would NEVER click on Sign Up without being able to look around and browse where members are from, the forums, see some bookshelves, look at the FAQ. I hope that we're not going to lose new members because the tabs to look around the site aren't visible unless you click on Sign In if you aren't a member.
Profile Image
I hope that we're not going to lose new members because the tabs to look around the site aren't visible

If that happens, it'll be visible in the new member statistics, and I'm pretty sure that would be a good reason for the PTB to change it.
Profile Image
Not only are we unable to look around the Born Free Books site before joining, but the main page has a big "it's" where it should be "its". Glaring grammar error on a literary site's main page? That turns me off immediately.
Profile Image
If you're going to judge a brand new website on stuff like that, fair nuff, but someone's bound to point it out sooner or later! Born Free Books is due an update in the next few days to add functionality, maybe it'll get fixed then?
Profile Image
The typos are much less an issue than some bigger things on the site (and they still haven't had that update they were planning weeks ago).

Their books journeys are completely hackable at the moment.
There was a ticket about it a month ago, and it was closed, but it is still not fixed.

Basically (they have had enough time to fix this after acknowledging the issue),
1. In the feed of latest catches or releases you can see the BFIDs as part of the URL like http://www.bornfreebooks.com/---/feeds.aspx from there releases.
2. Click on a title of a book . the first on list right now goes to http://www.bornfreebooks.com/xxx-xxxxxxx.aspx. As a direct part of the URL we can see the BFID: xxx-xxxxxxx.
3. Now go to "catch" the book. You can specify wherever you found it, and make notes...
You could similarly continue to "catch" any or all books, and/or release them too.
They didn't think it was an issue as the members' honesty in the BFIDs could be trusted. (Then why bother with the xxx- part of the BFID?) Sort of matters as security shouldn't be taken lightly and that feature compromises how it all works.

I had a look at the site and I might give a try for a few sample books. If they'll ever ship those promo labels that have taken way over a month to arrive...
Profile Image
I just checked the site out. The appearance is very nice; however I will explore the functionality further. Has my interest, though.
Profile Image

RE

I signed in with my facebook account and I was pretty disappointed with what I found. You could fill in your details to get free labels and things, but it was an old promotion valid until May 30. And you need an ID to find anything. No obvious forum tabs either. I think I'll stick around here. Hopefully the deadlinks get fixed soon, so BC is the best place to share books.
Profile Image
I see a number of bookcrossers have gone to using bornfreebooks. It does seem clearer and easier.

Six weeks in and I am disappointed with how many errors is still on this site. (sits back and waits for the angry mob to descend and tell me to "sip from the cup of patience")
Profile Image
sits back and waits for the angry mob to descend and tell me to "sip from the cup of patience

Seems like your angry mob has better places to be right now...

Okay, so it's clearer. Is that, by any chance, because it has less features?
Profile Image
They have maps showing where books were released. It's a pretty site, but that's all I'd give it. I think it's going to be very confusing for people who find the books. I hope their labels and such look different......
Profile Image
i just had a look at it, i dont like copy cats and i think this is what this is. i do like the shade of green they have used on the site (hint)
Profile Image
I've always had a problem with BC. I WANT to like it, but it's way more complicated than it needs to be. I think it turns a lot of people off, or scares people away with all of the confusing terminology. I personally think all the different book classifications (AVL, TBR...) are mostly unnecessary. At first look, BFB looks more user-friendly. Although, as someone living in the U.S., it seems like BFB may mostly cater to the UK market and it may be difficult to get it rolling in other countries.
Profile Image

RE: I like it

I've always had a problem with BC. I WANT to like it, but it's way more complicated than it needs to be

At the moment it has less features than it used to... and look at all the threads started by members who are asking if they can please have them back.

I don't think it's possible to have a site with lots of features and keep it simple at the same time. And many of the features BC has have been suggested or requested by the members.

You may feel that the book statuses are unneccessary, but I really like being able to filter my bookshelf by status.
Profile Image

You may feel that the book statuses are unneccessary, but I really like being able to filter my bookshelf by status.

Book status is essential for sorting once you have a lot of books registered and I for one would prefer that this option stays.
Profile Image

because, at the moment, it seems a lot easier to use. The stickers are really nice (and although I signed up after the offer I still got them). They are due for an update to make the site better, and we have been told that this will be in line with user suggestions. It is behind time, but they have kept us up to date with what's going on from the forums. Overall, I'm qquite pleased so far. However I shall still be sticking with BookCrossing alongside, as I like the forums more (especially now the mark all is back), as well as the rings, rays and rabcks.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.