corner corner Wild Hunters

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Wild Hunters

With so many books being lost each day, which might never get a log, I decided it was time to start searching resellers for them.
I looked through a few stores for some lost books today. No spine labels were seen, and most of the books were the same height. Those I chose at random did not have a label on the front or back, nor anything within to say they are BX books.

Who else is searching for books lost in the wild?
Are there any hints, tricks, or techniques that can help in the search?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
With so many books being lost each day, which might never get a log, I decided it was time to start searching resellers for them.
I looked through a few stores for some lost books today. No spine labels were seen, and most of the books were the same height. Those I chose at random did not have a label on the front or back, nor anything within to say they are BX books.

Are there any hints, tricks, or techniques that can help in the search?
Profile Image
I've never found any!
Profile Image
It was a total surprise, as aside from books I've specifically gone hunting for (or those mass-released at conventions and meetups) I haven't found a BC book in the wild before! It only had one BC label in it (that's perfectly OK, btw, but I do like to add more labeling myself), and if I hadn't opened it and checked the inside front cover I'd never have seen it.

If I spotted a BC spine-sticker or other external labeling I'd definitely check the book out, and my own books generally do have spine stickers and a BC stamp on the bottom page-edges as well as the interior labeling (in several places) so I hope that they'd stand out among other books-for-sale. [I donate some of my books to charity sales and library sales now and then, and occasionally trade some in at secondhand-paperback stores, so I know that those books are for sale; the ones I wild-release and even those I've sent to other BCers may wind up for sale as well eventually.]

It's certainly worth looking for BC indicators when book-shopping - and asking at lost-and-founds too, sometimes - but if you really want to check for BC info you'll have to open each book and check the inside front cover. And since some BCers don't label their books there, and in other cases someone may have removed the label, you might check the title page and the *back* pages as well - there may be a BCID there... This can take a lot of time, of course, so I generally focus on books that interest me rather than checking every book on a shelf. But it was a thrill to stumble across a BC book, and I'd love to have that happen again {grin}.
Profile Image
I found one that had been caught months before in a different location on the shelves at Goodwill, one that was released outside a library at their used book sale, and one that was a controlled release but never journalled as caught on the shelves of another charity shop.

I still keep an eye out, though!
Profile Image

I wasn't really looking for books lost in the wild, I was just going through the sale racks at a local library earlier this week, looking for books for Release Challenges, when I came across one of my own releases! I asked at the desk, "How can you sell this book when I gave it away for free?" and they said, "If someone wants to pay for it, we'll sell it."

Okay, it is to support the library, so I guess I'm not upset. Just upset with myself that I neglected to write down the BCID so I could make a JE to say where the book is currently residing.
Profile Image
Never found anything though.
Profile Image
I flip through books I see and sometimes take home "strays" only to mark and release them, but I think most my found BC books have been those I've been actively looking for. Can't remember if I've found one by chance, but maybe.

I've had one of my releases hunted down, however. The finder had to ask in the store and had all the clerks looking for it =) I imagine asking at the lost-and-found at a train station or something like that might turn up some missing BC books. They tend to be good at cleaning stuff away if it's not picked up during the trip.
Profile Image
I've found a few books in the wild, two I picked up and the others I left there (although I made entries to say I had seen them). But it had all been in the same place, the local Blood Bank. Seems a few different bookcrossers think that is a good place to leave books. I've left four there myself, two of which got logged and one of which got taken to another country and released. I've also had two of my books hunted down by another BookCrosser who got an alert. I was on holiday and left the books in a country town. A local BookCrosser went hunting for them.
Profile Image
I leave books in the wild, at doctor's offices, my dentist, park benches, etc. But so far the only books I've found have been my own books!
When I am at the second hand bookstore, I tend to follow Gory Detail's suggestion and look for books that I like and hopefully someday soon I'll stumble upon a BC book in the wild. Good luck finding those wild BC books, let us know when you catch one!
Profile Image
A book bike that gives away books
http://shareable.net/---/the-book-bike
Anyone from the Chicago area seen this guy?
Profile Image
I did find two books I liked in an OBCZ, but never after a 'real' hunt, and I also never kind of stumble upon books. They always seem to be released somewhere around where I am, only I never see them. The books are hiding from me :P
Profile Image
I also look in 2nd hand shops. Haven't found any, but did get an amusing 'caught' journal from a very nice librarian. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7493254/
Profile Image
I have turned in books to the Dallas FOL donation box that were bookcrossed, but I have yet to get a caught for any of them.
On one of my trips to Half Price books, I left information about BC with one of the staff members just in case they came across any BC books to not remove the labels.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.