corner corner E-bookcrossing App for the Kindle!

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

E-bookcrossing App for the Kindle!

hi! :)

when I've read about the new Amazon Kindle Developer Kit, the first idea that came into my mind was Bookcrossing, or better, Ebookcrossing.

Barnes & Noble's Nook reader already gives the chance to lend ebooks to friends, but from what I've heard the interface is very slow and it can't be compared with the Kindle. The Kindle on the other hand, doesn't let you give your books to other people, but if an E-BookCrossing app was available on the Kindle Store, I think it could be a game-changer.

It could be like BookCrossing but on the Kindle, and powered with apps that could let you leave ebooks on park benches, bars, airports based on GPS data. I can imagine that many games, like book treasure hunts, could be organized, and communities of book lovers and Kindlers could meet.

I wrote a blog post about it at http://www.bealoud.com/---/kindle-development-kit What do you think about it? Do you own an ebook reader?

Feel free to comment on the blog post or please add your ideas here! :)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
hi! :)

when I've read about the new Amazon Kindle Developer Kit, the first idea that came into my mind was Bookcrossing, or better, Ebookcrossing.

Barnes & Noble's Nook reader already gives the chance to lend ebooks to friends, but from what I've heard the interface is very slow and it can't be compared with the Kindle. The Kindle on the other hand, doesn't let you give your books to other people, but if an E-BookCrossing app was available on the Kindle Store, I think it could be a game-changer.

It could be like BookCrossing but on the Kindle, and powered with apps that could let you leave ebooks on park benches, bars, airports based on GPS data. I can imagine that many games, like book treasure hunts, could be organized, and communities of book lovers and Kindlers could meet.

I wrote a blog post about it at http://www.bealoud.com/---/kindle-development-kit/ What do you think about it? Do you own an ebook reader?

Feel free to comment on the blog post or please add your ideas here! :)
Profile Image
...virtual e-books rather than actual, physical items, right? While I can see that it would be fun to share e-books via treasure-hunt, I'm not sure I see it as a BookCrossing thing. Then again, I am quite attached to the concept of the traveling book, as in "physical object that can be passed from hand to hand"! I suppose there's no reason why there couldn't be e-BookCrossing as well for legally-shareable files - especially if they're limited, as in "can lend one copy at a time", so it isn't just a matter of copying files - but as those files don't "travel" in the same way as physical books, the whole book-tracking aspect of BookCrossing doesn't seem to fit, at least in my view.

Since the Kindle does not currently allow lending/sharing, I would imagine that an app such as you describe would have to receive their blessing before it could be used at all, right? So discussing it here doesn't seem that useful, unless/until the option is available. Or were you hoping to get some BCers to contact Amazon with requests for such a Kindle app as you describe? [If you wanted to discuss possible ways to implement e-BookCrossing on e-readers that *do* allow file-sharing, you might try posting that in the Feature Request forum.]

FWIW, while I'm not in the market for an e-reader myself, I have thought that it would be fun if the Kindle and other readers had some book-social options - perhaps a "what I'm reading now" feature that would allow other Kindle users within range to see who's reading what, and maybe a "wanna meet?" or other communication option... [Oviously, these would have to be opt-in features with some amount of security.]
Profile Image
Those social options would be nice!

Well, actually I was curious about the kind of reception a concept like e-bookcrossing would receive (especially here). I'm aware that Kindle doesn't support ebook sharing, but I believe that if they developed an app to make that feature possible (they could also use GPS to tie books to a location or track their "travels") it could be very beneficial for Kindlers and Amazon.
Profile Image
...and I am intrigued by your ideas. I believe e-bookcrossing is a great idea, worth exploring and playing with.

BTW, Gory, I was also anti-e-readers, but I am finding the Kindle to be very useful and economical for nonfiction and for periodicals and blogs.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.