corner corner ISO: fundrasing ideas using bookcrossing to support a library or charity

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

ISO: fundrasing ideas using bookcrossing to support a library or charity

Share your ideas, what has worked well, and what you would do differently. Thanks! I promise top share how I use the ideas generated in this thread!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Share your ideas, what has worked well, and what you would do differently. Thanks! I promise top share how I use the ideas generated in this thread!
Profile Image
The advice I received was to ensure "Free" is not on any of the labels, as well as only selling books that were registered by myself. I sold books from my mom, because she doesn't 'Cross any more, and she told me to do what I wanted with her registered books. I would not sell books registered by other 'crossers unless you have their utmost permission. Regardless of whether it's for charity or not, the general opinion I've heard is that Bookcrossing makes the world a "Free" library, and making money off of registered books should not be taken lightly.
However, I think if you go about it the right way, it's a fantastic way to raise money, AND gain interest in the site. Maybe even consider making your own labels to place in the books, something that would explain that it was a book registered and sold to support -whichever- charity.
Profile Image
Hmm, when you put it in terms of "selling" the books, it does sound as if it might not be in the spirit of bookcrossing...

I was thinking more in terms of sharing titles that raise awareness of the cause (the other charity), or creating a "pay-it-forward" event [though I have no clue what that like look like...]

I saw a post in the Community Bulketin Board that i liked - a raffle combined with a book speed-dating event to raise money. That way, you're paying to participate and play, not to buy the book.

Thanks for keeping this thread going!
Profile Image
Ah! Well in that case, I'm sorry, I definately didn't want to sound as if I was chastising or anything, as I've done it myself. :)

I've seen release challenges done recently in honor of charities, to raise awareness. Maybe inserting a special label "This book was released to raise awareness of breast cancer, please donate to blah blah blah and journal this book..." and books with a theme - pink, written by women with cancer, and so on. I saw one recently, here's a link: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6428902
You could invite others to participate, along the same lines, offer an RABCK for most books released, most books journalled, whatever you want.

Just an idea! I'm not organized enough to start my own challenge, but it seems like a fantastic idea.
Profile Image
I like this idea verfy much!
Profile Image
One class really wants to raise money for Haitian relief, so they have asked for donations. I gave them a bunch of books, some of which were registered; my notes said they were 'donated to a school fundraiser'. I see nothing wrong with it.
Profile Image
It is true that some BCers have expressed dismay at finding books they've sent to other BCers winding up for sale somewhere, and it would be very tacky to acquire *lots* of BC books as RABCKs and then to turn around and sell them, but there's no site rule against BC books ending up for sale somewhere. [In general I think people don't mind it nearly as much if the books have been donated to charity sales of some kind than if it appears that the recipient is trying to make a profit off of them. Not that most of my BC books could be sold for very much, what with all the labels and stamps and things {wry grin}.]

It probably is a good idea to avoid any obvious "free book!" or "Take me, I'm free!" types of labels - not that they're legally binding; I've seen plenty of not-for-resale books in secondhand bookstores and charity sales! - but to try to avoid potential confusion. And if you have books from other BCers, it wouldn't hurt to ping them and see if they'd mind if you added their books to your donations. [Again, there's no site rule against BC books being sold, but some folks may not be keen on it, and if you want to stay on good terms with BCers you've swapped with in the past, it's worth checking first. Or even post an explicit request for donations in the RABCK forum; some folks might like to donate books for a good cause, and if they know it's a sale up front there wouldn't be any problem.]

Other thoughts: When I donate books to charity shops or trade them in for credit at secondhand book stores, I make it clear in my release notes that the books will be for sale, just to give a heads-up to any book-hunters. In the case of lots of books being donated to a big charity event, it might be a good idea to come up with a template message explaining where and when the event is and what cause it's for, with a link to the appropriate web site(s) if applicable, and paste that into all your release notes. [Or, as you have members-plus, set that message up as the default release-note text in your profile, for the duration of your mass-release process. Just remember to clear it again once you're no longer releasing books to that event!]

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.