corner corner 1st book 'found' message

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

1st book 'found' message

After releasing 11 books 3 years ago I just received my first "book found" message (from someone who found it 3 years ago and just re-released it). Not exactly a great percentage of people posting to the BookCrossing website when they find a book.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
After releasing 11 books 3 years ago I just received my first "book found" message (from someone who found it 3 years ago and just re-released it). Not exactly a great percentage of people posting to the BookCrossing website when they find a book.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3081188

One catch out of 11 releases is about a 9% catch-rate, which may be a bit below the site average, but not by much: I've released loads of books over quite a few years and my catch-rate's hovering under 15%, which I gather is pretty good for wild-releases. [There's no way to get accurate side-wide data on catch-rates, of course, but from comments in various forum threads and at conventions I gather that an average wild-release catch-rate could be between 10 and 20% - with considerable variation.]

It's great that the finder not only journaled the book when they first found it but again when they finally got around to releasing it; most of my catches get journaled only once - so far, anyway! And it's very cool when a book that hasn't been heard from in some time does "phone home", though of course it's delightful to get a quick catch as well. All I can suggest is to keep on releasing; the more books you release, the better the odds that you'll hear from some. And in many cases it seems as though making a fair number of releases in the same general area at regular intervals may help encourage interest.

Speaking of encouraging interest - if you want, you could post that catch in the Site Watch forum ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11 ), by way of letting others know that it's never too late to get a new JE!
Profile Image
I wish you many more catches to come! And the best ways to get them are to release many books which are well-labeled with legible BCID numbers and URL so people know what to do when they catch them. Good luck!
Profile Image

I've never had a book found message so it sort of demotivated releasing books :(
Profile Image

Re: ...

If I see it correctly, you've only released three books so far.
Since about 15% of books get a journal entry so far, that's a little early to give up...
Profile Image

Yeh you're absolutely right Meoem, but I am the sort of person (and I hate admitting this) that if I don't get a result on something pretty quickly I get frustrated and feel like I'm doing something wrong, so give up entirely...

I guess I just haven’t had the confidence to release a book for a while… I am pretty sure the last book I released was last year? (I forget) and noone ever picked it up… though I went passed the same place the next day and the book had clearly been taken – but by whom!?
Profile Image

Re: ...

Well, someday the person who picked up that book may make a journal entry. Or someone else that found the book afterwards. You never know. If you read the Site Watch Forum you'll see that often books get journaled days, weeks, months, or years after they are picked up.

But the only way to get more journal entries is to release more well-labeled books. Once you get enough books out in the wild, you get journal entries more often, of course. I get JEs every week.

Try it, it's worth it. And a great and wonderful surprise when you hear back from them.
Profile Image

:)

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation :)
Profile Image
Congratulations, what a cool surprise for you! I'm still waiting for a wild catch--I guess, like Moem says, I just have to do it a little more.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.